Old 03-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #81
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
5,500 W silent diesel generator at Northern Tool - $880.
DO you have a link? I searched and couldn't find it.

Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #82
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I think he tried...but was drowned out by the noise of the "$800" silent diesel genset....

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #83

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Name: Brass Ring
Vessel Model: 38 bayliner
I have a 5000 or thereabouts northern three cylinder diesel. No complaints except for noise and overkill. I also have a 1500 watt inverter plus a 1000 watt older Honda which has seen me through a houseboat and a remote cabin. The Honda takes a lot of crap but is heavy and still a bit noisy on the hook. The diesel is out of the question. My brother just scooped a refurb Hyundai 1000 inverter type for me at $175.00 It weighs only 28 pounds and is much quieter than the Honda.
I have yet to set this up and try it but between the two it should be enough to run my frig, TV and computer.
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #84
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
bobsyiruncle, When you say older Honda, do you mean the EX1000 model that was a bit square before the newer eu1000 and eu2000 models came out? If so, that's a whole different beast than the newer models we've been discussing. They were much louder (64 dB) than the newer eu2000i (59dB max-53dB min RPM). 5dB difference represents about a 50% difference in noise level. (64dB is twice as loud as 54dB.)

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #85

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Name: Brass Ring
Vessel Model: 38 bayliner
Yes it is the old model and I can't slag it too much because it has served me well but I did like the relatively quiet and reassuringly cheap part on the Hyundai
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #86

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
My 3000i is on the roof. Not enough noise to be concerned about.
One More Time Around: 3000i

As for the Northern diesel, it may have been a local sale?
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #87
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
Wow! Westerbeke and Northern Lights bashed. And based on heresay.
We've got a Northern Lights 8.5 KW....haven't had a problem with it yet....
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #88
Veteran Member

City: newport
Why not fab up some brackets and belt drive it off the main engine, very popular in Europe, you can spin it all the time or magnetic clutch, you will nead a hertz meter for the proper rpm. Craig
Craig Schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #89
FF
Guru

Why not fab up some brackets and belt drive it off the main engine, very popular in Europe, you can spin it all the time or magnetic clutch, you will nead a hertz meter for the proper rpm. Craig

Besides the fact the engine will need to be constantly throttled to keep up with changing loads , running a large diesel engine at almost no load can cost up to 17 !!! times more fuel.

Pro Boat Builder , April May , Nigel Calder.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #90
Veteran Member

City: newport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

Besides the fact the engine will need to be constantly throttled to keep up with changing loads , running a large diesel engine at almost no load can cost up to 17 !!! times more fuel.

Pro Boat Builder , April May , Nigel Calder.

Nigel is a very sharp guy but... What is considered a large engine? A ford 120 driving a 3.5KW can run a 1 to 1 ratio , it will draw less then 10 HP off the 120, it will self govern from the ford, It would cost very little wile cruising, not much more than a high output DC alt, The fuel cost would have to be balanced out over the cost of running and maintaining a 2nd Diesel for the 3.5 KW, The charge time wile @ anchor for the DC loads will now have AC available, It very often is a lot quieter than a stand alone genset, For the most part the OP said he rarely uses air conditioning which would be one of the few reasons to run the ford stand alone. I know the cost of fuel is high but 17 times more may not fit all scenarios. Craig
Craig Schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #91
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Schreck View Post
That system was available in the USA. I heard about a couple Camanos that had it installed. Rather than running at a certain speed to get 60 Hz, it was an inverter system similar to the popular Honda portables.

I corresponded with a guy who was willing to sell me a system but in the end, I decided not to go with it. Installation is somewhat complicated what with the brackets and belts.

Fire trucks and such use that system to provide electricity at fire and accident scenes.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #92
Guru

I had a cruising generator tied to my port engine. It was a PITA and I was running it when a boat turned in front of me in a channel (sail boat) and I had to make a quick slow down. It never worked after that.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #93
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
That system was available in the USA. I heard about a couple Camanos that had it installed. Rather than running at a certain speed to get 60 Hz, it was an inverter system similar to the popular Honda portables.

I corresponded with a guy who was willing to sell me a system but in the end, I decided not to go with it. Installation is somewhat complicated what with the brackets and belts.

Fire trucks and such use that system to provide electricity at fire and accident scenes.
The Eagle has a cruise gen set, which is an option of many small sail/power boats. I believe they are an option for the trolls/tugs that come with the air conditioing option.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #94
FF
Guru

In time we will see the diesel noisemaker folks copy the modern Honda style units.

A diesel engine with variable speed and generator or alternator will be hooked to an inverter and pure AC , that can even feed a big battery charger will be the result.

Low noise from low RPM with light house loading will not be harmful as the load on the diesel will be matched to its HP curve.

Only takes purchasers to demand (and pay for) the more efficient units.

Were I home brewing a setup, a used Yanmar or Kubota twin with remote start can be had from the truck reefer overhaul places at $400-500 depending on condition.

A 12V 220A bus alternator or a 24V 300A bus alt would be coupled to the engine.Again $500 used.

With a welding throttle (keeps voltage at a set point) and a good true sine wave inverter.

Since most boats will have an inverter the big difference the price of the better inverter.

A n old Trace 2440 will operate 2 modest air cond .

Good hunting,,,
Old 03-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #95
Guru

FF, I googled truck refer overhaul and came up with a page of help wanted. Looks like that is one position needed in this economy.

I have the generator and frame with the marinized pieces and if i could come up with an engine I could probably come up with a unit.

I might even add a 12V alternator to it too. I think it would be easier to charge the batteries from that than an AC charger. I have a smart regulator.

How do I find those used diesel engines?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #96
FF
Guru

"How do I find those used diesel engines?"

"Were I home brewing a setup, a used Yanmar or Kubota twin with remote start can be had from the truck reefer overhaul places at $400-500 depending on condition."

Find the local big truck reefer repair shop .
Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #97

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Was back at Northern Tool yesterday. They still have these for sale at my store.

jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #98
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
I'm not sure I'd call 71dB @ 23 feet "silent"
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSailor View Post
I'm not sure I'd call 71dB @ 23 feet "silent"
Sit that on your deck or bridge and you'll send sound waves a long way over the water, but it is quieter than what I have at the moment.

There aren't any Northern Tool stores in So Cal.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #100
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Not quiet on this scale either.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote