Old 03-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #61
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
My problem boils down to recharging my battery bank. Either I get a generator, or it's solar. An alternate to that is larger alternators but running the mains is least efficient unless I am fishing or moving the boat.

I won't do wind. It transmits vibrations throughout the boat. Those magnetic motors that are supposed to be free energy are a hoax. I did see where a guy took an electric motor belted to a generator that he had boosted the power and after getting it running with AC, turned off the power to it and on the generator, he was able to keep it running plus some extra amps that ran a hand tool and a light.

Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #62

City: Maumelle, AR
Living and boating in the South with hot humid nights, I want a generator for the AC to sleep with some comfort. Even if you removed this factor, I would still want a generator because if something goes wrong with the battery bank and you keep the generator on a separate battery for the generator only, you can have all the power you want to recharge. I know, from experience.

Although I think it is a little loud, my generator is 1981 Westerbeke 4.4 KW unit which runs on a two cylinder Mitsubishi motor which is also discontinued. This generator was not running when I bought the boat. My very talented generator mechanic made this unit run extremely well and was able to find the parts.

Do not give up too easily on what you already have.

bikeandboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #63
Guru

I read you loud and clear. I do plan on a Mexico cruise and AC is probably a must. My problem with the engine now is I tossed the head and valve train. I will have to buy another engine.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #64
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
SeaHorse, how many amps is your charger? .
I went to the boat today, looked for the manuals and couldn't find any. Also climbed (fell) down in the ER and couldn't see any mention of amps on the placards. So, the answer to your question is "I don't know." I do intend to find out, Though!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #65
Guru

Speaking of battery chargers. I decided to install a single use inverter and separate charger, not a combo. I'm glad I did on that fact the inverter has gone back for replacement three times, two were their mistake. The battery charger has never failed me.

My problem with my charger is it's only a 40 amp smart 4 phase charger which is great at the dock, bad slow at anchor. I'm looking for another charger that can charge closer to 100-150 amps. The Xantrex Prosine 2.0 is an option but I have their 1800 inverter.

I need a stand alone charger that is also a smart charger. Anybody know of one?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #66
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Our US made MSW Magnum 3100W-160A inverter/charger is bullet proof and much cheaper then individual units not to mention you can't find a 160A charger anywhere I believe.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #67

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
I'm another fan of the Honda EU2000i. Have relied on one for years now. Great little generators, compact, quiet, and extremely frugal on fuel consumption. For about the same price as solar, or wind generators, you can have power whenever you need it, even when the sun don't shine and the wind don't blow! And I'm not on the Honda payroll.
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #68
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
Maybe a resister with a fan that cools it or something like that. I'm a complete novice here but I do understand electricity and the need for a dump on a solar system.
You don't understand solar well enough. There is no need to "dump" anything. What you do need is a charge controller, preferably one that supports a grid tie connection to your AC system.

Then you use solar to charge and maintain your batteries, and then they can also be used to offset you AC requirements dockside or when on a genset. You're not wanting to be totally solar (off grid), or still dependent on AC when on the hook (grid-tied) but the ideal is an AC system that is augmented by solar and the remainder stored (grid-tied w/batteries).

If you sized your loads properly and got arrays the right size, you could theoretically stay off grid indefinitely (assuming sun) and when dockside you're still offsetting your power costs.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #69
Guru

Thanks for that explanation, sailor.

I admit it has been a while since I did research on solar and when I last read about it I was reading about large solar arrays for homes off the grid with huge battery banks.

When I talked to the sailboaters here about it they always had that deer in the headlight look.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #70
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
Quote:
My problem with the engine now is I tossed the head and valve train. I will have to buy another engine.
Universal Marine Engines used Kubota engines in their sailboat engine line.

Once you determine the exact engine you have, you may be able to pickup a parts engine cheap.

Torrenson Marine, Supports the Universal engines with online schematics and parts lists and prices. A quick look online gives the price of a new kubota 3 cylinder head at about $2400.

I assume it must have been cracked or warped to have tossed it, I guess a new generator is probably the best fix to your problem.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #71
Guru

Quote:
I admit it has been a while since I did research on solar and when I last read about it I was reading about large solar arrays for homes off the grid with huge battery banks.
Some good news is grid-tie inverters (those that tie to your AC system) have REALLY come down in price. There are some that simply plug into an AC jack. They are limited to about 20A but they safely augment existing AC (from wherever on your boat's system... inverter, genset, shore power) and serve to offset the load on that grid.

Great for small systems where don't have huge AC demands, and simply want to stretch your stored energy capacity by offsetting with solar while you have it during the day.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #72
Guru

The problem with the engine was a cracked fuel line and it had to be primed every time it was started. Even if I shut it down for one second and tried to restart it. I couldn't find it and didn't know what it was. This was the first year of ownership of my boat and the first diesel I had ever owned or known. I was GREEN and I did a stupid thing.

I used starting fluid, ether, and it blew it up. Just like the cartoons. I came out of the engine room with soot everywhere. The outside of the boat looked like I was spraying crops. A huge cloud of white smoke overtook the boat and we couldn't see out of the windows. I got to the key and shut it off.

Looking back at that, it is so funny I crack up telling the story.

The whole block is toast. The fram oil filter held though. Oil was spewing out of the seal I had so much blow by. I had a mess down below.

I'll have to sell my starting fluid to a crack head I guess.

The things we learn the hard way seem to stick with us better.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #73
Guru

Wowsers... that's gonna be an expensive fuel line.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #74

Vessel Name: " Supertramp "
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Widebody 50 feet
Quote:
Speaking of battery chargers.

I decided to install a single use inverter and separate charger, not a combo.

My problem with my charger is it's only a 40 amp smart 4 phase charger which is great at the dock, bad slow at anchor. I'm looking for another charger that can charge closer to 100-150 amps. The Xantrex Prosine 2.0 is an option but I have their 1800 inverter.

I think the same,
my favourite:
Sterling Power Products: ProDigital
He works with 80-300 Volts, 40-70 Hertz,

I am working with Sterling charger many years without problems.
In the caribic Sea you have 110Volt-or 230 Volt; 50 or 60 Hertz- Sterling works with all !
Old 03-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #75
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
I just checked on mine which is a 40 amp charger but this company is well regarded down here and has different models.

DC Power Onboard with Newmar?s Phase Three ?Smart? battery charging technology is now available in a wide range of power levels, allowing you to select the right size, features and flexibility you require for virtually any application from small recr

The factory is in your neighborhood too! (Santa Ana)

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #76
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
I just checked on mine which is a 40 amp charger but this company is well regarded down here and has different models.

DC Power Onboard with Newmar?s Phase Three ?Smart? battery charging technology is now available in a wide range of power levels, allowing you to select the right size, features and flexibility you require for virtually any application from small recr

The factory is in your neighborhood too! (Santa Ana)
How Funny! My old charger was a newmar. It was built like a freight train but was old technology. I didn't know they upgraded to smart chargers.

Thanks and I'll check out Sterling too.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #77
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmist View Post
Real men DON'T RTFM!!
This maxim has kept me gainfully employed for many years fixing and troubleshooting broken equipment.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:05 AM   #78
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
)
I second Newmar as does my favorite marine electrician
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #79
FF
Guru

Today in the smaller sizes (8000btu) there are many 12V air cond made for over nighting in large trucks.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #80

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
5,500 W silent diesel generator at Northern Tool - $880.

jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote