Old 03-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #21
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
I have been looking at the Honda 2000 on ebay. It has 2 120v, 13.3 amp outlets. My shorepower is 30 amp; will this work? I assume it will as long as use is 13.6 amps or below. But, my charger is 20 amp (2 banks @ 10 amps each).

Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #22
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I would be careful pushing any generator right up to it's rated output.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #23
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
The Eagle has a 5 KW cruise gen set powered by the main 671 connect with two V belts that have to be changed about every 5 years or so. I carry extra belts/hoses/fluid/tools. Cruise gen are common on sail boats and smaller power boats. You can buy the gen set portion at Tool Town for like 500 bucks. We have them mounted in our service pick ups for small AC tools.

There is nothing wrong with having a high KW gen set as long as you put a high amp load periodically. Also gen set are set for a constant high RPM, so its not going to idle like big HP engine at hull speed.

As for having no gen set, battery/inverter, is Ok as long as the total amp hour demand is low. The catch 22 is how to charge back those amp hours?
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #24

Vessel Name: " Supertramp "
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Widebody 50 feet
We use 1 Westerbeke 15 KW, 1 Westerbeke 8 KW and in this moment i mounted the third Westerbeke 8 KW.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #25
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
This is my experience with generating. For the last 4 years I have been relying on a Honda 2000 but I find its noise to be objectionable. When I use it, it has to run at close to full power and it doesn't have enough power to do the 2 things I want it to do, heat water and charge the batteries, at the same time. I have to first heat water which draws 12 Amps for an hour than I charge the batteries which also draws a similar amount for an hour. During this time, the Honda is just screaming. It is very quiet at low power but I don't have any low power needs.

So I have been researching generators. I found that the best small AC generator for my needs was the Next Generator 3.5 KW for its size and weight, about 200 lbs with sound shield. I found the best price from a EBay dealer at just over $6,000 plus shipping. Do an Ebay search for "Next Generator 3.5 KW" to find this dealer. This generator runs at 2400 RPM rather than the normal 3600 RPM for the other small generators.

But this isn't what I finally bought. I decided to go with a DC generator made by Aquamarine. It has a 150 Amp alternator and I am running its cooling loop though my hot water tank to make hot water while it is running. I'm probably saving about $1500 but the DC generator will require a bit more fiddling with valves and RPM adjustments everytime I use it. I'm still in the installation process so I can't give any experience on how well this will work. It certainly won't be as hands off as the AC generator would have been.

Oh by the way, I recently found out that Honda now has a 3000 model that only weighs 78 lbs versus the 140 lbs for the older model. I may have gone this route if I had known this. I saw this in a recent Camping World catalog.

Ron
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #26

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Windmist is right, the Honda is a great generator but when not in the economy mode, she makes a racket and I am almost never in the economy mode. But for the week or so I spend at anchor, she meets my needs.

I run it on my back semi enclosed sun deck with a exhaust hose running out the back into the water and a CO2 alarm mounted just above it. The noise is no issue if you are inside but if you are near it, she is pretty loud.
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #27
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
What ever gen set I would have it the same fuel as the boat engines run on as you have a bulk supply. They do make portable diesel gen sets for about the same price as large gas.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #28
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Don't know, just asking, is a propane powered generator an option since one might also have propane on board?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #29
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #30
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmist View Post
Oh by the way, I recently found out that Honda now has a 3000 model that only weighs 78 lbs versus the 140 lbs for the older model. I may have gone this route if I had known this. I saw this in a recent Camping World catalog.
I just read up on this....It puts out 25 amps. too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	17352  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I share the concern about running an oversize diesel genset.
Our boat was fitted with an Onan MDJE 7.5 kw generator when it was new (I assume). If so, it's been in the boat for 40 years. The electrical demand of the boat is not much: the hot water heater, the battery charger, and whatever we happen to plug into an AC outlet. So occasionally a microwave, charging connections for computers, phones, a drill, etc.

So there is no way the generator sees anything like a full load, although I've never actually calculated it. But we, and I suspect most or all of the previous owners, only use the generator for short periods when we're out. Maybe an hour or so on the days we don't go anywhere on the main engines. So despite being under-loaded this has not so far affected the operation the generator. Starts right away with pre-heat, runs smoothly, doesn't use any oil to speak of.

However this may not be the situation if the generator was run for long periods with the same low load on it..
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #32
Guru

City: Trenton
I've been running a 1500 watt inverter for the last 13 years. It's done everything I need. You may want to look into an inverter if you don't want or need a generator.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #33
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,

Old 03-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

City: -
Does the girl come with it to do the pedaling, RT?
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #35
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Marin. I fear if I answer that question I may be straying into OTDE territory...
Mr, Tom. "I would be careful pushing any generator right up to it's rated output."
Hey, no problem, get two of those EU300 units and you can parallel them to get up to 50A or 6kW.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #36
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
There's NO problem pushing the Honda Inverter Gensets to their rated output...like Energizer bunnies...they just keep going and going and going.

Mine is 15 years old now and mistreated beyond belief...can't tell you how many times it's had to be restarted from going over rated capacity and ZERO problems.

I use it a lot when I can't load up my 8KW Genset... so my standard op is run the big Genset at dinner when cooking electric and hot water are both needed for about 2 hours...also charges batts... then around 2000, I run the Honda 1000 to charge the batt banks to the max, run the entertainment center, charge up the computers etc..etc till we hit the hay around 2200. Then run the Honda again in the AM if no big breakfast is planned...I run it for the coffee maker and start the battery bank charge until we get underway and the alternator does the rest. (overnght it's the forced air heat that drags the batteries down around 20-30 percent with the other loads).
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #37
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Please pardon my use of irony for a humorous result. I mean nothing by it... BUT...

Perhaps the use of synthetic oil would have extended the life of your genset.

*cue the band*

(Thank you ladies and gentlemen. I'll be here all week. Please don't forget to tip your waitresses and bartenders... and you should try the veal. I hear it's fabulous!)
Sorry to rain on your parade, that engine never had synthetic in it. It only had dino oil and had 179 hours on the hour meter. I think there were multiple reasons they discontinued it.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #38
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Hey, no problem, get two of those EU300 units and you can parallel them to get up to 50A or 6kW.
RT, I think you meant EU3000 units.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #39
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
How much is the girl with the bike? Now you're talking!!

My friend with the Northern Lights simply carboned up the engine because he never had enough load. The guy I knew was fired from the Westerbeke dealership and moved away and I don't know a single boat with one so I was asking for feedback.

Thanks for feedback on Phasor Marine generators. They might be a good choice for the money.

I also love the humor.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #40
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
Sorry to rain on your parade, that engine never had synthetic in it. It only had dino oil and had 179 hours on the hour meter. I think there were multiple reasons they discontinued it.
DRATT!! Foiled again

Here is our genset. 3,5K Next Generation made from a single cylinder Kobota motor that was sourced from roadside sign motors (before they went solar) that are nearly bullet-proof. The guys at the factory are great guys too. Had a few lengthy conversations with them and they are always very helpful and patient.

NEXT-GEN - Marine Power Units