Old 06-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #161
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
If the batteries are properly placed in a displacement hull a little ballast can actually help the ride. I'm not saying there isn't a point where battery weight gets silly. Generators are not that light either so their weight needs to be in the equation in addition to the fuel they burn.
Bill
Equipment weight is factored into the design of every well designed boat. Be very careful doing anything that appreciably changes weight and balance. I have known one person who moved all his batteries and it gave his boat an entirely different ride so he had to finally give in and move them back where they were previously.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #162
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Returning slightly toward the direction of OP's first post... and I think a hesitance to runs a genset for various reasons, including noise...

Our AC units (compressors and their air-handler fans) contribute more to the ambient internal noise level than our genset.

At the dock, that's also compounded slightly by the portable fans we usually keep running in each area.

FWIW.

-Chris

Old 06-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #163
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Would probably need detailed cost comparison betweeon cost of fuel and maintenance on the genset(s) versus cost of batteries, cost of fuel hauling battery weight, etc. Could maybe go either way... and influenced by cost of fuel.

On your own genset, power isn't cheaper at night. I dunno what our own (metered) dock power rates are like; never thought to check whether time of day enters into our bill or not. At transient docks, power is more often a flat daily rate, in our experience.

-Chris
Chris, if you are filling your batteries back up with generator power rather than solar, wind, or shore power; I look at it a little differently. As long as your battery bank is large enough to comfortably carry the load that is big enough. Since you have to fill them with generator power you will just run the generator a little more often, but not necessarily longer. Batteries are expensive and a headache. The fewer the better.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #164
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Equipment weight is factored into the design of every well designed boat. Be very careful doing anything that appreciably changes weight and balance. I have known one person who moved all his batteries and it gave his boat an entirely different ride so he had to finally give in and move them back where they were previously.
That's why I'm leaving the current starting batteries where they are and starting with a relatively small house bank just forward of the engines it will be 4 to 6 105AH DEKA Unigy1 batteries.
Another point many boats do not come with a generator as standard equipment so placement is as important with them as a house bank.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #165
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Chris, if you are filling your batteries back up with generator power rather than solar, wind, or shore power; I look at it a little differently. As long as your battery bank is large enough to comfortably carry the load that is big enough. Since you have to fill them with generator power you will just run the generator a little more often, but not necessarily longer. Batteries are expensive and a headache. The fewer the better.

I shoot for that Goldilocks "just right" battery solution

Mostly, though, I was simply adding fodder for tspear to ruminate on.

-Chris
Old 06-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #166

City: Oneida TN, Planning to Move to Portsmouth NH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I shoot for that Goldilocks "just right" battery solution

Mostly, though, I was simply adding fodder for tspear to ruminate on.

-Chris
A friend has an early 70s ~40ft Chris Craft he uses for weekend get aways. He has insulated and isolated the generators, HVAC and even the Refrig to the point you cannot hear them run. All HVAC vents are double size of standard to minimize flow noise, compressor and generators are all on isolator mounts....
But he still has a large house battery set. As I was reading the thread I started to think more and more that this is just tradition and maybe worth rethinking.

Tim

tspear is offline   Reply With Quote