Old 06-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #81
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
...........Using a lot of "power" is something we Americans have been obsessed w since WWII. Where did it start ... Electric toasters?
Those manual toasters were such a pain ...................

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #82
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

Those manual toasters were such a pain ...................
Lol. I actually use one on board my boat.

Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #83
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Al, like you as long as it's not objectionable to my neighbors I see no reason not to have all the comforts of home and the communications I need to spend more time on the boat and less time in the office.
I'm not into camping and neither is my wife so having hot water, a stall shower and a good freshwater head that doesn't clog are high on our list of must haves.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #84
Guru

There are gas and water separators, eg Vetus, for genset exhausts. I heard one(with difficulty)on a GB 52, very quiet. I think my Onan MDKD is reasonably quiet, but always consider the neighbours in a quiet anchorage. And I accept boats without propane cooking don`t have that option.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #85
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
We don't anchor much at night but boat is quiet. The time I feel bad whether anchored or dock is if we're late in the rib. They're not quiet. We don't get out too late, but even at sunset in some areas there are people already trying to sleep and others just seeking a quiet relaxing time. Feel less bad in a marina as they're already noisier.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:03 PM   #86
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
OK I'll go soft and get an electric motor to start my engine.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:18 PM   #87
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Because there's finally a chance in their life to live it exactly the way they want it to be...well whose to judge?

Wow...I couldn't face the mirror in the morning if I passed judgment on someone who deserved to live the exact life they chose to for the moment.

being polite and not spoiling quiet moments with a genset for a whole anchorage is one thing...thinking someone else should lead a life like they like it to me is just over the top.
I don't see anyone saying their way is the only way or judging others who have a different approach. Maybe I missed something. Are you reading more into this than has been posted?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:21 PM   #88
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We don't anchor much at night but boat is quiet. The time I feel bad whether anchored or dock is if we're late in the rib. They're not quiet. We don't get out too late, but even at sunset in some areas there are people already trying to sleep and others just seeking a quiet relaxing time. Feel less bad in a marina as they're already noisier.
You'll find (soon) that in Alaska its light way later than you want to go to bed.

Its not uncommon to see someone shuttling their dog to shore at 10m. They just take it easy and puttt along. No issues.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #89
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
You'll find (soon) that in Alaska its light way later than you want to go to bed.

Its not uncommon to see someone shuttling their dog to shore at 10m. They just take it easy and puttt along. No issues.
Yes, have already experienced that partially in Washington but not so bad at night. Now morning will be way earlier than use to. Sunrise to Sunset today at home was 6:28-8:12. Today in Seward was 4:36-11:17. 14 hours vs. nearly 19. It is hard to force yourself to bed before dark and hard not to wake at daylight.

To me an engine running, regardless of what it's on, isn't too bad for sleep. But a sudden loud sound is. I think we might not be as bothered by sound as many. We've never had problems sleeping at a marina. Anchor was very hard at first, but it was just the fear of moving.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #90
TF Site Team

Quote:
Yes, have already experienced that partially in Washington but not so bad at night. Now morning will be way earlier than use to. Sunrise to Sunset today at home was 6:28-8:12. Today in Seward was 4:36-11:17. 14 hours vs. nearly 19. It is hard to force yourself to bed before dark and hard not to wake at daylight.

To me an engine running, regardless of what it's on, isn't too bad for sleep. But a sudden loud sound is. I think we might not be as bothered by sound as many. We've never had problems sleeping at a marina. Anchor was very hard at first, but it was just the fear of moving.
The most difficult thing people have up here sleeping is that they cant sleep unless its dark.

My wife is that way. I on the other hand can sleep in full daylight. No problems
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 06-10-2014, 12:31 AM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
My wife is that way. I on the other hand can sleep in full daylight. No problems
Wifey B: Masks?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:37 AM   #92
TF Site Team

Quote:
Wifey B: Masks?
Dark shades
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 06-10-2014, 06:13 AM   #93
FF
Guru

>TV on a boat that's not a live-aboard is for the person that's addicted to football or just has to have everything just because they can.<

Not so, The VHF - NOAA weather is seldom accurate as they do not wish to be wrong and have worse conditions than forecast. No more perfect storm litigation.

The local TV weather guy on a cruise usually will show the radar and a re drawn weather map.

This can give a far better idea to a cruiser of what the say will bring than NOAA.

On the AICW many folks put south in the fall.

During he November election season , with the local candidates stomping each other is a far better show , and insight to the locals than most major programming.

Fun underway is where you find it!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:35 AM   #94
TF Site Team

It's also useful as an ER camera display.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #95
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Wow, an on-duty ship's engineer in the ER! Now that's yachting!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #96
TF Site Team

Yes, except in a rolling sea, he sometimes interferes with the alternator belt operation. It usually shows up as a small glitch on the ammeter, a visual of the flailing kid on the TV and a lot of squealing (the kid, not the belt). We carry a spare kid for those times.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #97
Guru

We still enjoy watching some television late at night or watching a movie. And as pointed out all the televisions can be much more in today's world with access to so much through them. Linked to your security system, your navigation system.

Oh, and we make no apologies but we will be watching the Heat and Spurs tonight, starting while eating dinner since it's 6:00 Pacific Time. We enjoy basketball. We still find gyms and play sometimes while cruising, actually carry a basketball on board. So, we'll watch.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #98
TF Site Team

Quote:
We still enjoy watching some television late at night or watching a movie. And as pointed out all the televisions can be much more in today's world with access to so much through them. Linked to your security system, your navigation system.

Oh, and we make no apologies but we will be watching the Heat and Spurs tonight, starting while eating dinner since it's 6:00 Pacific Time. We enjoy basketball. We still find gyms and play sometimes while cruising, actually carry a basketball on board. So, we'll watch.
We watch a movie probably 1/2 the nights aboard.

We have Hulu, Amazon, Itunes, even Dish network so we have a broad selection of content sources.

We do not download movies on the satellite terminal though. At .99 a Mb a movie can cost $1500 for a SD, and $4K for a HD movie.

What we do when we're out of the Cellular network is to have contend pre-downloaded onto a Ipad or the Apple TV unit.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 06-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #99
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post

I remained puzzled as to how propane saves on energy needs. ........
Let me see if I can solve the puzzle:
1) Not every cruising boat has a genset. With a propane system and range, one can cook pretty much like at home. I have three burners and an oven with broiler. 20 lbs of propane lasts me for months. No noise and no maintenance.

2) Burning fuel to make heat to run a genset to produce electricity to be converted to heat to cook with is not the most efficient plan. It's even less efficient if you try to store the electricity in a battery and then use an inverter to raise the voltage so you can make heat with it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #100
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Let me see if I can solve the puzzle:
1) Not every cruising boat has a genset. With a propane system and range, one can cook pretty much like at home. I have three burners and an oven with broiler. 20 lbs of propane lasts me for months. No noise and no maintenance.

2) Burning fuel to make heat to run a genset to produce electricity to be converted to heat to cook with is not the most efficient plan. It's even less efficient if you try to store the electricity in a battery and then use an inverter to raise the voltage so you can make heat with it.
+1

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote