Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #81
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
...........Using a lot of "power" is something we Americans have been obsessed w since WWII. Where did it start ... Electric toasters?
Those manual toasters were such a pain ...................
__________________
Advertisement

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #82
Guru
 
Northern Spy's Avatar
 
City: Powell River, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

Those manual toasters were such a pain ...................
Lol. I actually use one on board my boat.
__________________

Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #83
Guru
 
City: Tuckerton, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 937
Al, like you as long as it's not objectionable to my neighbors I see no reason not to have all the comforts of home and the communications I need to spend more time on the boat and less time in the office.
I'm not into camping and neither is my wife so having hot water, a stall shower and a good freshwater head that doesn't clog are high on our list of must haves.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #84
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,564
There are gas and water separators, eg Vetus, for genset exhausts. I heard one(with difficulty)on a GB 52, very quiet. I think my Onan MDKD is reasonably quiet, but always consider the neighbours in a quiet anchorage. And I accept boats without propane cooking don`t have that option.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #85
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,141
We don't anchor much at night but boat is quiet. The time I feel bad whether anchored or dock is if we're late in the rib. They're not quiet. We don't get out too late, but even at sunset in some areas there are people already trying to sleep and others just seeking a quiet relaxing time. Feel less bad in a marina as they're already noisier.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:03 PM   #86
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,710
OK I'll go soft and get an electric motor to start my engine.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:18 PM   #87
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Because there's finally a chance in their life to live it exactly the way they want it to be...well whose to judge?

Wow...I couldn't face the mirror in the morning if I passed judgment on someone who deserved to live the exact life they chose to for the moment.

being polite and not spoiling quiet moments with a genset for a whole anchorage is one thing...thinking someone else should lead a life like they like it to me is just over the top.
I don't see anyone saying their way is the only way or judging others who have a different approach. Maybe I missed something. Are you reading more into this than has been posted?
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:21 PM   #88
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We don't anchor much at night but boat is quiet. The time I feel bad whether anchored or dock is if we're late in the rib. They're not quiet. We don't get out too late, but even at sunset in some areas there are people already trying to sleep and others just seeking a quiet relaxing time. Feel less bad in a marina as they're already noisier.
You'll find (soon) that in Alaska its light way later than you want to go to bed.

Its not uncommon to see someone shuttling their dog to shore at 10m. They just take it easy and puttt along. No issues.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #89
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
You'll find (soon) that in Alaska its light way later than you want to go to bed.

Its not uncommon to see someone shuttling their dog to shore at 10m. They just take it easy and puttt along. No issues.
Yes, have already experienced that partially in Washington but not so bad at night. Now morning will be way earlier than use to. Sunrise to Sunset today at home was 6:28-8:12. Today in Seward was 4:36-11:17. 14 hours vs. nearly 19. It is hard to force yourself to bed before dark and hard not to wake at daylight.

To me an engine running, regardless of what it's on, isn't too bad for sleep. But a sudden loud sound is. I think we might not be as bothered by sound as many. We've never had problems sleeping at a marina. Anchor was very hard at first, but it was just the fear of moving.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #90
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Yes, have already experienced that partially in Washington but not so bad at night. Now morning will be way earlier than use to. Sunrise to Sunset today at home was 6:28-8:12. Today in Seward was 4:36-11:17. 14 hours vs. nearly 19. It is hard to force yourself to bed before dark and hard not to wake at daylight.

To me an engine running, regardless of what it's on, isn't too bad for sleep. But a sudden loud sound is. I think we might not be as bothered by sound as many. We've never had problems sleeping at a marina. Anchor was very hard at first, but it was just the fear of moving.
The most difficult thing people have up here sleeping is that they cant sleep unless its dark.

My wife is that way. I on the other hand can sleep in full daylight. No problems
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:31 AM   #91
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
My wife is that way. I on the other hand can sleep in full daylight. No problems
Wifey B: Masks?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:37 AM   #92
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Masks?
Dark shades
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:13 AM   #93
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,524
>TV on a boat that's not a live-aboard is for the person that's addicted to football or just has to have everything just because they can.<

Not so, The VHF - NOAA weather is seldom accurate as they do not wish to be wrong and have worse conditions than forecast. No more perfect storm litigation.

The local TV weather guy on a cruise usually will show the radar and a re drawn weather map.

This can give a far better idea to a cruiser of what the say will bring than NOAA.

On the AICW many folks put south in the fall.

During he November election season , with the local candidates stomping each other is a far better show , and insight to the locals than most major programming.

Fun underway is where you find it!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:35 AM   #94
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,176
It's also useful as an ER camera display.

__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #95
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,790
Wow, an on-duty ship's engineer in the ER! Now that's yachting!
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #96
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,176
Yes, except in a rolling sea, he sometimes interferes with the alternator belt operation. It usually shows up as a small glitch on the ammeter, a visual of the flailing kid on the TV and a lot of squealing (the kid, not the belt). We carry a spare kid for those times.
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #97
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,141
We still enjoy watching some television late at night or watching a movie. And as pointed out all the televisions can be much more in today's world with access to so much through them. Linked to your security system, your navigation system.

Oh, and we make no apologies but we will be watching the Heat and Spurs tonight, starting while eating dinner since it's 6:00 Pacific Time. We enjoy basketball. We still find gyms and play sometimes while cruising, actually carry a basketball on board. So, we'll watch.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #98
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We still enjoy watching some television late at night or watching a movie. And as pointed out all the televisions can be much more in today's world with access to so much through them. Linked to your security system, your navigation system.

Oh, and we make no apologies but we will be watching the Heat and Spurs tonight, starting while eating dinner since it's 6:00 Pacific Time. We enjoy basketball. We still find gyms and play sometimes while cruising, actually carry a basketball on board. So, we'll watch.
We watch a movie probably 1/2 the nights aboard.

We have Hulu, Amazon, Itunes, even Dish network so we have a broad selection of content sources.

We do not download movies on the satellite terminal though. At .99 a Mb a movie can cost $1500 for a SD, and $4K for a HD movie.

What we do when we're out of the Cellular network is to have contend pre-downloaded onto a Ipad or the Apple TV unit.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #99
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
.....

I remained puzzled as to how propane saves on energy needs. ........
Let me see if I can solve the puzzle:
1) Not every cruising boat has a genset. With a propane system and range, one can cook pretty much like at home. I have three burners and an oven with broiler. 20 lbs of propane lasts me for months. No noise and no maintenance.

2) Burning fuel to make heat to run a genset to produce electricity to be converted to heat to cook with is not the most efficient plan. It's even less efficient if you try to store the electricity in a battery and then use an inverter to raise the voltage so you can make heat with it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #100
Guru
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
City: Port Credit
Country: Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Let me see if I can solve the puzzle:
1) Not every cruising boat has a genset. With a propane system and range, one can cook pretty much like at home. I have three burners and an oven with broiler. 20 lbs of propane lasts me for months. No noise and no maintenance.

2) Burning fuel to make heat to run a genset to produce electricity to be converted to heat to cook with is not the most efficient plan. It's even less efficient if you try to store the electricity in a battery and then use an inverter to raise the voltage so you can make heat with it.
+1
__________________

__________________
If you can live with the consequences, go for it - wg
Y'am what I y'am an' thats' all that y'am - Popeye
As God is my witness, I thought turkey's could fly. Mr.C
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012