Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Remove cutless bearing case and stuffing box base.

I was finally able to pull the shaft on my Albin 36'. Since many of the TT's were built using the same design, I’m putting the question up here. The cutless bearing case is attached to the hull using (2) ss threaded studs. The stuffing box base is attached to the opposite end using (4) ss screws about ½ x 5”. I was able to get these out but I don’t know what was used to seal the case and base to the hull.

Any ideas
Attached Thumbnails
cutless bearing.jpg  
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: La Parguera
Vessel Name: VIXEN II
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
I have always used 5200 with good results. By the way I note that the threaded studs came out of the hull vice the nuts being removed from the studs. You may want to reinstall the studs bedded in an epoxy slurry of cabosil or other filler of choice. If not rebedded properly (permanently); they can become loose over time - especially if they enter into a wooden sternpost.

Jan
VixenII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Guru

On a marine trader there is a stern tube on the other end that is threaded on. One must unscrew this to remove
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
Guru

That may be my problem.
KK-42097
Old 11-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

OK... The external cutlass bearing house is designed to simply (relatively) slide off IOT faciltate removal and replacement of the bearing. These external housings are not usually threaded to the stern tube. I concur that the internal stuffing box housing might be threaded and screwed to the tube. That is why most stuffing box housings are set in place with lag bolts/screws vs the hanger studs. As you remove the box - the tube will come with it. I have seen threaded versions and simple male/female tight fits with appropriate bedding.

Jan
Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
Guru

Vixen
In that case how is the stern tube sealed ?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Terry, we are all talking but what is the problem exactly - do you have trouble removing the external housing? Do you need to remove the stern tube? The housing should pop loose even if it was bedded in resin. But then, if it was put in place in Taiwan.... who knows. (All of the wiring on my MT is all chinese red...LOL)
Old 11-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hey there, Motion... The stern tube is not a dry system. That is the reason for the stuffing box. Ambient water is what cools and lubricates the cutlass bearing. Many vessels actually have water diverted from the heat exchanger to the stuffing box to increase the amount of water flow around the shaft and packing. (This also would normalize the temp of the shaft in colder waters. I hope I make some sense - I'm pretty new to posting comments.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
Guru

VIXEN
I do understand how the stern tube is fashioned , my question was..if the bearning carrier is not threaded onto the stern tube, how is the stern tube sealed as to not leak into the boat?
Old 11-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
Guru

btw
it seems at around 30years old these brass stern tubes tend to pit ,rot and leak
Old 11-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Properly constructed stern tubes are molded into the hull at birth. There should be no way water should enter the boat around the outside of the tube and into the boat. Normal and careful bedding during refitting the carrier with your choice of stuff will prevent any unwarranted intrusion. Anyways, I readily stand by to learn new techniques or tech bits.

Is this chat doing Terry any good?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
Guru

VIXEN
This may help Terry understand what he has. I have never seen a molded in stern tube but it makes sense. These TT had many differerent set ups depending which yard built the boat in question Terry if you can not pop off the bearing carrier try turning it with a pipe wrench. We do know it comes off one way or the other
Old 11-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
Guru

City: Here
If ... the stern tube is just molded into the hull at birth. It will be a constant source of leakage as the resin will not bond to a vibrating metal tube. In 2777 surveys I've never seen it done this way. The tube will be threaded into the bearing housing more properly called the shaft log.

If ... the tube is brass it will not last more than a few years in salt water as brass is way down the galvanic scale and should never be used below the waterline. Replace it with stainless steel.

After unbolting the shaft log you may be able to remove it and the stern tube together but only if you disconnect the stuffing box.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
As one who's been thru the Marine Trader leaking stern tube exercise, I will second all the comments about how they're installed. The cutless bearing case has holes in it to allow water to enter, cool/lube the bearing and fill around the shaft inside the stern tube, and the water stays out of the boat where the packing gland attaches to the stern tube , just aft of the transmission. Pulling out the old stern tube was a bear, since it'd been encased in concrete at the aft end. My replacement is a fiberglass tube, glassed to the hull at the aft end of the keel, rather than just screwed into the bearing holder. Then the cutless bearing is bolted/sealed to the keel behind it. Not a cheap fix.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
Guru

On my 34' it was encased in grey stones and resin
Old 11-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #16
Guru

How was the stern tube pulled/removed? I'm sure mine has holes in it.
KK-42097
Old 11-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #17
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Pull the studs and thread the stern bearing housing off. Then you can better inspect the tube. If it has holes in it then you have more problems as already stated.
Attached Thumbnails
SDC10092.jpg  

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #18
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Albin cutlass bearing housings are threaded onto the shaft log...you would need to remove the studs and unthread it.

After talking to a yard that replaced one a few years ago...I don't care if it leaks like a sive into my hollow keel...very little chance I'll fool with it after the yard told me it took them a monyh of coaxing the shaft log out to replace it.

So I didn't mess with mine after a thorough bottom job...I just bedded back to the hull after I scraped away the old caulk.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #19
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
My Brother in Law had a 1981/82 Grand Mariner 36 which was the B.C. name for the Albin 36.
His stern or shaft tube leaked and it was a big job. All the glass down the side of the keel exterior on one side was ground out and then inside the boat to release the failed tube.
It was typical Taiwanese S.S. of the day, not very good.

Replaced the tube and reglassed and the boat was good to go.

The shaft log was threaded on to the shaft tube, the studs had to be pulled first to unscrew the log.

Don't fool with it unless you absolutely must. The tube I mean.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #20
Guru

ALL DONE! Both ends are threaded on the stern tube. It took a 3’
pipe wrench to break it loose. The shaft is 9’ and has corrosion spots in many places. Looks like small pin holes. I took everything to the prop/shaft shop and they will see what they can do. The shaft is 3 thou under 1 1/2".
Attached Thumbnails
stuff box-1.jpg   cutless bearing.jpg   all parts.jpg  
KK-42097