Old 11-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Here is list for my engine shutdowns. Please note , not ever bad fuel, which some claim as #1
  • Engine alarm (genset) activated due to cooling water shut off.
  • Stop solenoid BO
  • Raw water leak in after cooler
  • Leaking RW pump
  • Leaking coolant reservoir
  • Leak in exhaust elbow
  • Low battery
Above is in about 3800 total engine hours of use for a 2003 vessel.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
I too have and 40yo downeast boat and engine. In the 35 years i have run this boat, I have broken down 3 times.
1) transmission oil cooler: bypassed it, drained water from trans, refilled limped to port.
2) drive plate: towed to port
3) " " " " "

Experience tells me:
Eng & trans oil coolers can be bypassed but you must drain or pump the water out & have enough new oil to refill and make it home.
Drive plates can fail w/o warning and you are dead in the water. Get one with a get home feature like PIY sells. A spare is NG as it can't be changed without tools unlikely to be onboard.

I would mention also, you can't do much about a seized freshwater circulator pump and even if you convert to salt water cooling, as I once did 70mi offshore, you can't run anything else that was on the same belt.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #23

"What can stop my engine?"

Add water to the fuel and see what happens.

Spare Racors on board?
El Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #24

City: Kent Narrows, MD
Hopcar

Your spare starter motor that didn't work is one reason that some experienced mechanics and long haul cruiser's recommend not stocking spares but buying spare parts and installing them, keeping the removed parts for spares after cleaning them and refurbishing them if necessary.

1. Then you know that you can change them out properly and have the necessary tools and materials.

2. You know that the part is correct for your machinery and that it works properly.

3. Why not run your engine on new parts? Let the old parts sit around as spares!
Edistoart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #25
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Move this to OTDE.....
Old 11-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Move this to OTDE.....
Rather than move a perfectly good thread and topic to OTDE I decided to split out the completely off topic content and locate it there.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...sues-7818.html

Enjoy your new thread gents.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #27
Guru

City: Pensacola
Hmm I can't access that Chinese goodness. How do I get access to ODTE?
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #28
Guru

OTDE is an opt-in sub-forum within the Off Topic section.

Go to the Off Topic forum, click on OTDE and follow the prompts. Unfortunately I do not know how it works specifically.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 11-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #29
Guru

Got it. Thanks!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #30
Enigma

Greetings,
Thanks Mr. CP. If we're all diligent we can limit the those....ahem...discussions to their own "special" area.
Mayday, mayday....ALL OTDE'ers....we have a newbie. Let's be gentle
Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #31
Guru

LOL! On behalf of the moderators let me say, Thanks for the plug RTF! We,ve been up to our collective rear ends vanquishing spammers lately. A little self moderation would be greatly appreciated around now

Gentleness with newbies is always welcome but I can't help but feel like whiskey peddler by leading folks to that section. New folks to that section would do well to read that sign on the door twice and heed the warning prior to entering though.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #32
Enigma

Greetings,
Maybe the sign should be replaced with something like this....

or this...

Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Dammit!!! I just finished making popcorn and pulled up a chair! Now I've got to move aaaallllllll that way over to the OTDE neighborhood to follow the fight? Whatever!!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #34
Guru

Hehehe
Old 11-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #35
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
[QUOTE=CPseudonym; New folks to that section would do well to read that sign on the door twice and heed the warning prior to entering though.[/QUOTE]

I agree and as one that was somewhat active there before the new format I can say that from what I can tell not one useful boating item has come from that section. I'm including the posts by myself in that statement as well.

Comments there and opinions of some were carried over to other sections as well. That has seemed to been tempered in the new format. We need to keep it that way.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #36
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Goodness gracious, we are now so sensitive. It must be the Benghazi syndrome. Taking a step back, why is a discussion about Chinese boats, which most of have, not topical? And puhleeze don't say it was egregious thread creep without looking at other threads.

Back to what can stop marine diesel engines, inferior non Chinese design and vendors such as Cummins specific Sherwood pumps, DD 8.2 cooling systems, Cat intercoolers, wrong sized Racor filters, Cummins specific exhaust manifold leaks putting soot onto air filters, all things Iveco, poor Volvo parts availablity, Perkins exhaust elbows and John Deere wiring harnesses.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #37
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
[QUOTE=sunchaser;114049Back to what can stop marine diesel engines, inferior non Chinese design and vendors such as Cummins specific Sherwood pumps, DD 8.2 cooling systems, Cat intercoolers, wrong sized Racor filters, Cummins specific exhaust manifold leaks putting soot onto air filters, all things Iveco, poor Volvo parts availablity, Perkins exhaust elbows and John Deere wiring harnesses.[/QUOTE]

Sometime it isn't even the vendors. Sometime the vendors such as Yanmar, Cummins, CAT or whomever design a perfectly good engine and exhaust system. Then someone, in this case Mainship, installs the engine, in this case Cat, on a set of mounts that set the engine exhaust just a few inches above the waterline. Then when said boats were at anchor and bobbed about the sea water filled the muffler and ran into the exhaust, then into the turbo which caused way more fun than it was worth.

There is plenty of blame to go around for sure.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
sunchaser: Perkins exhaust elbows

Yes! My engine operated for 1 hr with a dime-size hole blown in the top of the exhaust elbow. I didn't get any water in the ER, but the whole ER was covered in diesel soot!! It took me a month of weekends to clean it up before starting the repair. I've never seen so much black EVERYWHERE!!! I still find some here and there like when I removed my shower sump pump last week. It's the gift that keeps on giving!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #39
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
sunchaser: Perkins exhaust elbows

Yes! My engine operated for 1 hr with a dime-size hole blown in the top of the exhaust elbow. I didn't get any water in the ER, but the whole ER was covered in diesel soot!! It took me a month of weekends to clean it up before starting the repair. I've never seen so much black EVERYWHERE!!! I still find some here and there like when I removed my shower sump pump last week. It's the gift that keeps on giving!
if your engine is running correctly it shouldnt be that black and sooty. Maybe u need to service your injectors or check fuel presure?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #40
Scraping Paint

City: -
A good friend who was the founder of Kenmore Air had a beautiful steel hull deFever, one of the few built this way. It was powered by a pair of smallish Cat diesels. He used the boat every summer to go to SE Alaska and up into BC. During one of these cruises it one of his engines did much the same as FlyWright's with the exact same results. Soot everywhere in the engine room that took weeks to clean up completely.

The engines in this boat were meticulously maintained--- Bob was an outstanding mechanic as well as a pilot. So I suspect FlyWright's experience was "normal" for this kind of failure.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote