Old 12-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Obviously Marin's talk'in about AquaDrive but that's not a coupler that's a whole drive system. Marin's wrong on this one.

Also there used to be a coupling that did tolerate considerable misalignment. Was available in the 70's from The Bunting Brass & Bronze Co of Toledo Ohio. Called the "FlexibleCoupling". It was also a thrust bearing accomplished by the ball end of the input shaft. Radially around the "ball" are slightly curved gears turning the outer and fwd part of the coupling. Looks like at least 10 degree misalignment shouldn't be a problem. It does say in the magazine ad that it's designed to solve misalignment problems. Could have failed in the marketplace due to high gear wear. I haven't seen one ever.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
From an engineering perspective misalignment will create a loss of efficiency, and some component somewhere is going to have to absorb the energy loss.
You are correct. But there is at least one shaft coupler system--- and very possibly others--- that is designed to do exactly what we're talking about; compensate for alignment differences. It is quite popular, at least in this area, and I'm amazed you don't know what it is. Even my dog knows the name of it. Of course he's a water dog so perhaps it's expected he would. Keep looking.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #23

City: South Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Obviously Marin's talk'in about AquaDrive but that's not a coupler that's a whole drive system. Marin's wrong on this one.
I never would have guessed. Starts with an A, but it's not a coupling, it's a thrust bearing. The CV joints used in this system actually prefer misalignment, by design, but it must be the same degree of misalignment on both ends of the cardan shaft used in these systems. Sweet spot is 3 degrees. The mounts used in an Aquadrive system can be pure isolators because they do not have to allow for thrust. Very different from a thrust taking mount.

As manyboats noted, Aquadrives are not shaft couplings, just ask Blaney

Could that be what Marin's talking about?

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:17 PM   #24
Guru

Of course the AD is not designed to compensate for misalignment and runs best at 1 or 3 degrees off.

The PSI coupling (two plastic discs) does tolerate some misalignment .. 5 or 6 degrees as I recall. Not manufactured by PSI ... probably an English company .. R&D. I've used them and they work well. But they don't handle 10 or 15 degrees off.

Even Marin's dog is just a dog.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:45 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
Could that be what Marin's talking about?

Nope. Although when we talked to PYI about the possibility of installing Aqua Drives on our boat many years ago they referred to them as a "coupling system." So technically it is a shaft coupler albeit a multiple-component one.

But that's not the one I'm talking about.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:04 PM   #26
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Nope. Although when we talked to PYI about the possibility of installing Aqua Drives on our boat many years ago they referred to them as a "coupling system." So technically it is a shaft coupler albeit a multiple-component one.
Yeah, right, same thing, only completely different.

I think it's time your dog starts editing/reviewing your posts. I'm guessing he'll be little more intellectually honest.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:

But that's not the one I'm talking about.
Calling an Aquadrive a shaft coupler is like calling a Grand Banks a trawler.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Calling an Aquadrive a shaft coupler is like calling a Grand Banks a trawler.

Ted
Well, as you're one of the ones who's forever claiming that it is that pretty much validates PYI's term.

But you'll have to take it up with the folks we talked to at PYI. Their words, not mine.

Anyway, I don't even know how the AquaDrive got into this. It's not the coupler I'm referring to.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:42 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post

I think it's time your dog starts editing/reviewing your posts. I'm guessing he'll be little more intellectually honest.

Oh, no, you don't want that. My dog is absolutely ruthless when it comes to telling people exactly what he thinks of them. Which, for the most part, isn't much. He'd have you in tears by the time he got done with you. I'm Mr. Tactful compared to him. You should read some of the stuff he posts to OTDE.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:09 PM   #30
Guru

So what kind of engine mounts does your dog use Marin?
A doggone good mount I'm sure.

Most of the old marine engines of the 50's were so smooth they didn't need flexable mounts. Almost all were bolted directly to the wood or steel engine beds. Very heavy crankshaft and even heavier flywheel. And the flywheel was on the front of the engine .. along w the starter and generator. Almost all were very low profile "flat head" designs that had the camshaft and valves under the head. Not very efficient but they were close enough that the OHV engines freqiently came up inferior due to other aspects of vehicle design.

A 52' CC yacht of the day had three 160hp flathead six cyl engines and made over 20 knots.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:33 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
So what kind of engine mounts does your dog use Marin?
A doggone good mount I'm sure.
On our PNW cabin cruiser he uses what Tri County Diesel installed on our engines back in the mid-2000s. He was just a puppy then but even then he knew who to listen to for credible advice.

As an engineer with a lot of boat design/manufacturing experience under your belt, Eric, an aside to this topic you might be interested in is what seems to be a fairly rudimentary design error on the part of the fairly reputable manufacturer of our boat.

The mounts in our boat are actually slightly under-rated for the weight of the engines because of the lack of clearance between the top of the engines and the underside of the cabin sole beams. Mounts rated for this particular engine weight put it too high and would require fabricating custom replacement mounts for the engines or modifying all the stringers, both fairly expensive options. So my dog (and I and the head of engineering at Northern Lights/Lugger) opted for the easy out which was the slightly smaller mounts.

The mounts that were on our engines when we bought this 1973 boat in 1998 were the originals, and they were slightly undersized, too, for the same reason.

Single engine 36's from the original 1973 molds don't have this situation. And I assume that the twin 36's made with the molds that replaced the originals in 1988 don't have this issue, either, as the new molds made the boats taller.

So I guess someone at American Marine mis-read their slide rule way back when.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Oh, no, you don't want that. My dog is absolutely ruthless when it comes to telling people exactly what he thinks of them. Which, for the most part, isn't much. He'd have you in tears by the time he got done with you. I'm Mr. Tactful compared to him. You should read some of the stuff he posts to OTDE.
So I guess I was right then.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:08 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

Quote:
So I guess I was right then.
Yeah. Albi's more intellectually honest than I am but that kind of honesty from him is not what you'd particularly want. He will tell you exactly what he thinks of you in no uncertain terms, where I tend to tone it down a little. He just turned 12 on Dec. 2 which is getting up there for this breed and he probably figures at this point life's too short to pussy-foot around people's feelings. So he doesn't.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Yeah. Albi's more intellectually honest than I am but that kind of honesty from him is not what you'd particularly want. He will tell you exactly what he thinks of you in no uncertain terms, where I tend to tone it down a little. He just turned 12 on Dec. 2 which is getting up there for this breed and he probably figures at this point life's too short to pussy-foot around people's feelings. So he doesn't.
Tell him happy birthday and a Merry Christmas for me. And/or Happy Hanukkah!

And he's free to talk to (bark at?) me any time.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #35
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Tell him happy birthday and a Merry Christmas for me. And/or Happy Hanukkah!

And he's free to talk to (bark at?) me any time.

I'll let him know. He (or at least his breed) originated in Nova Scotia so Hanukkah doesn't really enter into it.

And have a great Christmas and New Years yourself.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #36
Guru

Marin,
Very interesting as usual.
Poly Flex may have a low profile mount for you.

Home - Poly Flex Group - Advanced Polymer Technology for Vibration Control