Wet versus Dry exhaust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since we enjoy thread drifting, I've been PNW long distance boating in -10F weather with wet exhaust, no problem. But in LI Sound and marinas , nope too much ice for our yacht hulls, so why do it?.

Oops, should have said +10 F. :facepalm:

Interesting solution to a dry exhaust through a fibreglass hull. It does exit above the waterline but it is routed in a trough through the hull to allow the water to cool the pipe. The exit point below the waterline is insulated from the hull.
IMG_0068.jpg

Steve,

Maybe I misunderstood about the number of keel cooled NL’s but what he told me is that the installers pull the heat exchanger tubes out of the generators and run them with coolant. I think the spare heat exchangers were called “pull outs” in the trade and that is why they are available cheaper than new ones. And I should say more available as well because sourcing some NL spares can be tricky at times.

Regards

Paul

The removed heat exchanger tube bundles, take outs, makes sense. The failure rate on those, NL's anyway, is extremely low, so I'd imagine they sit on the shelf for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom