Old 11-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
If you close an engine sea cock, simply hang the engine start key set on the valve handle...
If you have only one helm.

It would be possible to attach a switch to the seacock handle and wire it to an alarm that would sound if the key was turned on whilr the seacock was closed.

Might as well just connect the switch to the starting circuit so it would be impossible to try to start the engine with the seacock off.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Before someone post a photo of a valve on a lead going for a walk ...

Your wait is over:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	walking.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	13858  

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #23
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
If you close an engine sea cock, simply hang the engine start key set on the valve handle.
What about the boats that have no key required? Mine has an engine switch on the panel and then an on switch at each of the helms. Flip the engine breaker. Go to a helm and flip the on switch and that activates the throttle control. Press the button on the throttle control and that activates the start switch for that helm. Start the engine. At any helm just press the button on the throttle to take control from that helm.

No keys required. But you do have to have a key to the boat to get in to flip the engine breaker on the panel.

I just do not close the seacock for my engine. Yes I do exercise all of them every month or so but close none of them when I'm away. That is why I pay the insurance policy yearly. Hell they need to have some exposure for what they charge.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #24
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Your wait is over:
My wife does technical writing for everything from cosmetology to heavy equipment repair to funeral parlor operations to uranium processing. Many years ago on a heavy equipment project she first encountered the word "petcock". The next day she showed up at work with a small valve on a leash. I think you can fill in the rest.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #25
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
My wife does technical writing for everything from cosmetology to heavy equipment repair to funeral parlor operations to uranium processing. Many years ago on a heavy equipment project she first encountered the word "petcock". The next day she showed up at work with a small valve on a leash. I think you can fill in the rest.
Could have been worse.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #26
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Hendo -- Your setup will still sink your boat if hoses or fittings go bad, no different than any other through hull drawing from below the waterline. Relying upon a bilge pump to operate for an extended period if not on shore power is foolhardy and optimistic if on shore power. (Even the Bounty's bilge pumps couldn't keep her afloat)

Bruce K's vessel is on a mooring with all through hulls properly closed, the only way to go in his case.

FF wins no prize from the many of us who have keyless push button start
*yawn* re-read what was written.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
......... the many of us who have keyless push button start
Isn't keyless push button start something that would make it easier to steal the boat?

I sometimes forget to remove my ignition key but my wife reminds me.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #28
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Hendon
Thank you very much for yawning. In re-reading your post I note (again) you indeed have a valved seawater through hull. So if any of the lines connected to it fail with the valve open, your boat will indeed take on lots of water relying upon your bilge pumps to keep it afloat. What am I missing?
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #29
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
R Widman

Of the many boat issues I have fretted over, boat theft is the last one. I'm more worried about losing the nav gear. Now if I had a decaled up Fountain parked in the Carolinas ----------------
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #30
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
R Widman

Of the many boat issues I have fretted over, boat theft is the last one. I'm more worried about losing the nav gear. Now if I had a decaled up Fountain parked in the Carolinas ----------------
Very true...few trawler type or large boats are stolen due to how slow the getaway process is considering the USCG's flying assets.

Also...having been in the marine business now for over 12 years...the biggest joke is the more expensive the boat...the closer the hidden key is to the ignition as the greater the chance is the owner isd gonna have people working on it all week...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Isn't keyless push button start something that would make it easier to steal the boat?
Yes. Which is why we have modified our cabin door to make it much harder to break in, although a determined thief will get into any boat one way or another.

GBs don't have key ignitions unless that's a recent addition to the new models. That's why when we close a main engine seacock for any length of time (very rare occurrence) we tape that engine's throttle back with gaffer tape and hang a sign on it. And for good measure we pull the engine's fuel shutoff knob up. This makes the throttle impossible to move and that plus the sign and pulled shutoff knob make it almost impossible for us or anyone else to start the engine without realizing the intake seacock is closed.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #32
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
A really good habit is to check the exhaust water outlet every time you start an engine or a generator. That way you will detect a closed seacock, blocked strainer, collapsed hose, defective water pump etc before it becomes expensive, embarrassing or dangerous.
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #33
FF
Guru

"Yes. Which is why we have modified our cabin door to make it much harder to break in, although a determined thief will get into any boat one way or another."

As they sat in NJ, if you cant steal it DESTROY IT!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #34
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
I have Aqualarm raw water flow detectors on my generator and main engine. If the intake water stops flowing, the alarm activates instantly.
Much better than overheat alarms which probably will not activate until after your impeller has fried and possibly the pump itself.

I put my first Aqualarm system in about 20 years ago and it went off the very next day when a hose let go. I was not familiar with the alarm sound and it took me a second to realize what it was. For less than $100, I wouldn't be without one
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #35
FF
Guru

I put my first Aqualarm system in about 20 years ago and it went off the very next day when a hose let go. I was not familiar with the alarm sound and it took me a second to realize what it was. For less than $100, I wouldn't be without one

Have you told the cleaning ladies, what that noise is???
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #36
Guru

It was the cleaning lady that told me to put them in.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Where did you get this alarm system and how difficult was it to install?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #38
Guru

I got mine on amazon.com (a little cheaper)but you can buy direct at aqualarm.net

You simply splice it in line between your raw water intake seacock and your strainer basket, very easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	13884  
Old 11-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I got mine on amazon.com (a little cheaper)but you can buy direct at aqualarm.net

You simply splice it in line between your raw water intake seacock and your strainer basket, very easy.
Thanks. I'll measure my hose, then take a more detailed look at what they have.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #40
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I have one of those and it works very well. The audible alarm that came with it was a little wimpy for my tastes, so got a MUCH louder one that really lets everybody know if it comes on. Luckily, it's only sounded when I turn the key on to start the engine.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote