Westerbeke's, engine maker for the 9.0 BTG gas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doug Doty

Veteran Member
Everyone quickly says it is likely a Mitsu. and maybe so but this is a unique engine in the westerbeke line as it is larger displacment than the other 3 cylinders and the only model with a 9.0 kw power end and a 3 cylinder engine.

Here is the twist, I want to run the valves back to factory spec. but don't want to be fleeced for $143.00 for a silly valve cover gasket. I am sure there is a OEM solution that is cheaper if I could find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Most of those Japanese car engines have re-usable cam cover seals. Molded rubber in a cast al cover. Not sure if yours is the same. Engine could be who knows what builder. The insignia on some of the little ones I don't recognize at all, but it certainly is not the logo for Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Nissan, Honda or Toyota. Maybe Daihatsu, or something Korean???

Hi Doug,

I just went through this exercise when cross-referencing a $900 igniter for a BCTGC -- mine was based on a Mitsubishi engine and I found an igniter for $40 on amazon.

From what I can see, I think your 9.0 BTG might be Mitsubishi also, only saying that because it does look like your starter motor is a Mitsubishi part...

New Starter Motor Westerbeke Gen Set 8 0SBEG 8 5BTG 8 5BTGA 9 0BTG 9 6BCGTC | eBay

I would agree that if the valve cover gasket is rubber you can probably reuse it.

Westerbeke makes nothing , they purchase engines , parts , bolt it together and spray paint it red.

There are NO custom
Westerbeke engines , as tens of thousands would be needed to be a production run.

Find out who made the donor , and use their parts supply .

The price will usually be down 75% to 90% .

Back
Top Bottom