Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #1

Westerbeke 8KW WMD starting problems

Swapped 4.4 for 8kw Westerbeke. Same vintage, same control panel and plug=in set up. Does a faulty sensor preclude the 12 volt current from engaging the starter of do I have a starter/starter connection problem. Got to get it to turn over before I can even attempt to start it. If one of the three sensors are faulty I can put jumpers on all of them before I crank, if it is the case where they would preclude current from getting to the starter.
The models were 1980s vintage.
Would like to get the system on line for air conditoning for the Grandkids to go up river and watch a fireworks dispay tomorrow night.
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
FP,
Sounds like you need some quick info. I have an 8 kw NL so no experience with yours. But my setup has a low op and over temp sensors like most. And like most, I hold the "bypass" in till I get oil pressure. I don't think the start circuit knows if there is oil pressure. Just the fuel shutoff. Any clicks? I would start at the starter "switch wire" to see if you have voltage there when you push start. You could use a 12 volt test light at this point. If no voltage, you may need a wiring schematic to continue.
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #3

Well, it started this morning and continued to run, but only after we cycled the remote on and off switch a few times. But putting out 134 volts, even with a 120 volt 16000 but Air conditoner on line. Talked with local Westerbeke dealer and he couldn't recall how to adjust voltage on that model. Older, 1980s 8kw WMD Westerbeke. When we were trying to get it to stay running played with start stop solenoid and noted varying rpm varied voltage so figure there must be a way to adjust the rpm of the engine. Than make sure frequency is still ok. Is 134 volts too far out of line to continue using it?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Guru

I'm not sure. How are you testing it? Maybe the meter is off??
Old 07-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #5

Westerbeke Gen.

I found some literature on the generator at the Westerbeke site. For this WMD model it says make sure no load is 125-132 volts. I am close at 134 and will check with another meter. Need to measure HZ as well but will have to buy a meter for that. From posts on this forum I have found reference to adjusting by using a screw driver, and also by adjusting linkage, but not enough detail to lead the way for me. Screw driver sounds like stop screw adjustments and linkage seems to point to a solenoid connections.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Guru

Chances are they are talking about changing your RPM by adjusting the governor. My guess is that there is a spring attached to the throttle linkage that has a threaded/ adjustable "anchor" on one end. It would have a jam nut that you loosen and then you turn the "anchor" to add or reduce tension to the spring. Also attached to the throttle linkage would be a "flyweight", probably in the front cover, that moves a lever as the engine RPM increase. In your case- presumably- the generator is spinning a little too fast. My guess is that if you "tighten" the spring a bit by turning the "anchor" screw, you can slow the generator RPM to the speed you need. Hope this makes sense.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
My guess is that if you "tighten" the spring a bit by turning the "anchor" screw, you can slow the generator RPM to the speed you need.
This is why guessing how to adjust a governor can lead to disaster.

Increasing the spring pressure on a flyball will increase the engine speed.

The flyballs move outward against spring pressure. More spring pressure means that the engine has to turn the flyballs faster to generate the force required to move the speed control to reduce rpm.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #8

Found a picture on Westerbeke site that showed the solenoid etc. By loosening a lock nut one can lengthen or shorten by turning the shaft. Although I couldn't get the lock nut loose, it worked out since I was lengthening, but now can't lock it it place. After the trip to night with the grandkids to the fireworks show will see about backing the shaft all the way out of the connecting cylinder and put on a new lock nut. The distance I had to back it out will permit that. RPM was 1950 so when I got it backed down to 1850, no-load, the voltage came down as well. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Guru

Sweet. You got to make your trip and no disaster. If we all had the time or money to pull the "expert" in everytime we needed one it would be great. Unfortunatly for some, myself included, we will have to attempt to repair in an informed, cautious approach. I believe this leads to improved troubleshooting skills and an understanding of the systems on their boat. Rick- I ask you to refrain from discouraging "us" from this unless you are concerned that we may hurt ourselves or someone else. I am familiar with velocity governors, centrifugal and electronic governors. You are correct. Loosening the spring would allow the flyweights to move further- thus slowing the RPM. A mind blip on my part but not a disaster to try tightening it first. I think it is a disservice to the forum to present a doomsday scenario if unnecessary... So how about a more positive response such as -"Steve, I believe you mean to loosen the spring". Obviously if you are positive someone is endangering themselves, fire off one of those insightful comments you are known for!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
Rick- I ask you to refrain from discouraging "us" from this unless you are concerned that we may hurt ourselves or someone else.

So how about a more positive response such as -"Steve, I believe you mean to loosen the spring". Obviously if you are positive someone is endangering themselves, fire off one of those insightful comments you are known for!
I only discourage people from acting on incorrect information and try to provide a correction when possible. Since so few readers undertand what a governor does and what may happen if it is incorrectly adjusted, pointing out that doing so based on faulty information can lead to serious damage to the engine and the person using it.

Read the manuals and information supplied by a governor manufacturer such as Woodward and you will see that they are equally "discouraging" about such actions.

It is not my place to second guess another poster. If you say do "this" I assume you wrote exactly what you meant, or at least believe "this" to be correct.

I am generally very careful at phrasing my suggestions or comments and am careful to respect the contributions of others. If they write "this" it is not my place to tell someone that they meant "that."

It is impossible to underestimate the susceptibility of most people to technological mythology.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote