Westerbeke 8kw fuel solenoid issue...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve91T

Guru
Vessel Name
Abeona
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Hello all. The other day our generator didn’t start. It cranked just wouldn’t fire. So I went to the engine room and tried to start it from the controls on the generator and they were dead. No life at all, which is odd because I know they worked. So I had my dad hit the preheat from the lower helm and I noticed the fuel shut off solenoid didn’t wack open like it’s supposed to, it moved much slower and not to its full travel. When he hit the starter the engage but the solenoid slowly moved towards the off position. I had him try it again this time I pushed it to the open position, basically helped it. Once it’s open position it clicked into place and the genny started and ran all night. I had to help it again to get it to start the next time.

So before I order a new one, it bothers me that the controls on the generator don’t seem to be getting power. I feel like they are related.

I’m not on the boat, but will he going soon. Does anyone have any idea what could have happened? Maybe a wired got knocked off or something?

Thanks everyone.

Sounds like it’s just getting weak or a loose connection. I had to replace mine. You might can take it apart, clean it up and it be ok. It’s worth a try.

Measure the voltage at the solenoid - could be loose wire or poor ground anywhere along the system. Checking from the Genset batt forward at all convenient locations will help narrow it down quicker.

Had the same issue last summer on my 12.5 WMD. As the solenoids age the coils will weaken and not pull in completely, or release. You can try shifting the coil slightly forward in the bracket to see if that helps, but in all probability, after you've checked all the contacts, the solenoid will need replacing.

Some of the solenoids have a high amp pull-in coil and a lower amp hold coil. A failure of the pull in coil would explain your behavior.

Had the same issue last summer on my 12.5 WMD. As the solenoids age the coils will weaken and not pull in completely, or release. You can try shifting the coil slightly forward in the bracket to see if that helps, but in all probability, after you've checked all the contacts, the solenoid will need replacing.

He also posted this...
"So before I order a new one, it bothers me that the controls on the generator don’t seem to be getting power. I feel like they are related."

Some of the solenoids have a high amp pull-in coil and a lower amp hold coil. A failure of the pull in coil would explain your behavior.

Correct... The 8 KW Westerbekes use a solenoid with two coils and an internal switch. When it gets out of adjustment one of the coils burn up.

From your description the pull-in coil is burned up. Once started the hold in coil will let the engine run until it is stopped and the the problem repeats.

I recommend you buy a new solenoid and pay particular attention to the sliding adjustment so you don't burn up the new one.

Good Luck

Getting the adjustment wrong is the quickest way to burn up one of the coils.:hide:

He also posted this...
"So before I order a new one, it bothers me that the controls on the generator don’t seem to be getting power. I feel like they are related."

I think you’re the only one who read that. Common sense tells me it’s just too much of a coincidence. I just don’t know what I’m supposed to check other than broken wires.

And if that switch panel was actually dead would it effect the operation or the generator?

I think you’re the only one who read that. Common sense tells me it’s just too much of a coincidence. I just don’t know what I’m supposed to check other than broken wires.

And if that switch panel was actually dead would it effect the operation or the generator?

"Measure the voltage at the solenoid - could be loose wire or poor ground anywhere along the system. Checking from the Genset batt forward at all convenient locations will help narrow it down quicker."

Do you have 12+ volts at the solenoid when energized? (or at least high 11's)
Do you have 12+ volts at some point between the battery and the solenoid when the solenoid is energized?

A poor connection can be anywhere along the positive or the grounds.
Grounds at batt, grounds at engine , etc.
Power at batt switch, power at genset controls, power at genset junction ,etc.

If you do have 12+ volts at the solenoid while energized then its like everyone says----corrosion on the solenoid and/or a poor solenoid.

When I bought my 97 in 2006 the westerbeke coil would not pull open but would hold when running.
For me I found that the linkage was all corroded for the pull down and binding making it hard to open.
I got all new linkage and keep it greased now and all is well.
I did not have to replace the coil but I did clean it well inside.

Thanks guys, headed to the boat tomorrow. I’ll let you guys know what I find!

If the pull in coil fails but the hold coil works,an inconvenient but useful solution is holding the plunger across while operating the starter.

Run a totally separate wire from solenoid to battery or if easily removed, take solenoid to battery..
Quickly touch terminals and see if it is still a slow pull or resounding whack.

This is what I did when told I had a dud solenoid that needed replacing.
Solenoid was fine.

Run a totally separate wire from solenoid to battery or if easily removed, take solenoid to battery..
Quickly touch terminals and see if it is still a slow pull or resounding whack.

This is what I did when told I had a dud solenoid that needed replacing.
Solenoid was fine.

Great idea. I have a feeling the solenoids are fine. It used to whack open with authority not many starts ago.

I agree with obthomas regarding the throw of the plunger. However, after the issue on my gnerator was determined by a local marine generator company, the problem re-occurred almost immediately. If that plunger does not pull in fully, there will be arcing that destroys the solenoid. By moving the solenoid you can make sure the plunger bottoms out when the coil pulls in. Just my experience.

If you need to replace one check online. They are built to a standard size. 1/2 the price of OEM

1- there is a wiring diagram in the generator manual to help find why the local panel is dead.
2- there is another service bulletin (service bulletin 175) for improving the voltage to the solenoid with a simple wiring mod. Your gen may already have it. Look for a small rectangular circuit breaker affixed to the preheat relay.

Last edited:
Having lived with a 8kw Westerbeke for 20 years I found it useful to have a spare solenoid on board. Suggest you buy one and swap it for the one you have. These seem to go bad every seven or eight years.

Also take a look at your main engine(s) you may find you have the same solenoid on the main and thus the spare will do double duty.

Well my technique of diagnosing wiring issues still works. Jigggle wires until you either get it working or see sparks. I jiggled the wires behind the start switch and gave it a try. The solenoid snapped open and she fired right up!

Thanks guys! To think I almost bought a new shut off solenoid.

... I jiggled the wires behind the start switch and gave it a try. The solenoid snapped open and she fired right up!
Thanks guys! To think I almost bought a new shut off solenoid.
Don`t stop there, get a spare as Bay Pelican suggests. And check ebay, my spare cost 1/7th the price of the "genuine" Chinese made Onan solenoid I bought.

westerbeke solinoid

I had the same problem of the solenoid not fully opening fuel valve when i bought this boat po told me you sometimes had to tap the linkage to fully engage it. after several trips into engine room after a day of cruising (hot) i researched problem and found a technical service bulletin that called for adding a wire from start solenoid to fuel solenoid with in line thermal breaker no problems since

check the relay that drives it...could be a $1 solution

Back
Top Bottom