Well, this is unfortunate...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Part of me would be relieved that I couldn't be there to watch. :popcorn:

Good luck! I'm sure in the end all will be good.

Very good point. I get nervous any time I see one of my boats get hauled out by the travel lift.

This did give me another new experience. The boat was towed to the boatyard and the towboat operator did a great job of sticking my bow into the bay over the straps. It was after the boat was in the travel lift and being placed in the very small yard, that I realized that the travel lift wasn't going to be able to place me stern out towards the yard with my arch and Bimini in place. The Bimini was easy but this was the first time I lowered the arch. Learning something new every day.

It was easy but definitely took two of us. The arch is reasonably heavy and good thing I am 6' 2" as I had to stretch as much as possible to push up to release the tension on the pins holding the arch in place.

Haven't been on TF much lately as I've been working way too much. Sorry to read of the incident, Dave, but it sounds like Cummins is treating you properly. Hope you are able to make it back up in Desolation this summer. Maybe I'll see you up there or in Powell River.

I had the boat towed over to the yard and hauled out. Cummins will start to work on it tomorrow morning at 8:00am. Cummins says they have the removal covered. I hope so. Unfortunately, I have to work so can't be there to watch.

I'm reminded of a very old NFO Cheech and Chong skit. "Oh, look Martha... Martha! Don't watch!"

I had the boat towed over to the yard and hauled out. Cummins will start to work on it tomorrow morning at 8:00am. Cummins says they have the removal covered. I hope so. Unfortunately, I have to work so can't be there to watch.

Can you hire anyone to do video or place stationary video cameras in specific locations? Could maybe rent a couple cameras.

Super Best Luck!

Art

Some things are said to be better not watched, like the manufacture of bbq sausages.

Haven't been on TF much lately as I've been working way too much. Sorry to read of the incident, Dave, but it sounds like Cummins is treating you properly. Hope you are able to make it back up in Desolation this summer. Maybe I'll see you up there or in Powell River.

We still plan to make it North if all goes.

Might be a good time to check the bedding under those lower hinges on the arch. How long out of the water? Will you be attending the rendezvous this year? Dan

Hi Dave - For the long run...

I'm hoping in near future you can start a thread with slightly altered title to this one.

Your Next Thread: "This is Fortunate!"

:D :thumb:

Good luck with the project Dave . It sounds like you will be back on the water in no time.

Might be a good time to check the bedding under those lower hinges on the arch. How long out of the water? Will you be attending the rendezvous this year? Dan

Yeah, that bedding under the arch was something I was thinking about. I also am having the yard look at some fiberglass work on the swim step since it is out of the water. Not sure they can do any work there given the short period of tie they have. I hope to be back in the water by Friday.

Still up in the air as to the rendezvous. I want to make it.

The mechanics started at 8:00am this morning stripping the engine. I came down to the boat yard after work to check on the progress and found this.
IMG_20170718_173635141.jpgIMG_20170718_173659841.jpgIMG_20170718_173733129.jpg
Looking forward at where the engine was, looking aft at where the engine was, and where they had to squeeze it out past the galley cabinet.

No dings or damage that I could see other than the bilge is a bit messy. My guess is that tomorrow they swing the new engine in and then spend Thursday making sure everything is attached properly. Not sure if they will try and start it on the hard before it gets dropped in the water again on Friday.

They didn't waste any time. That's the way the most professional are though. Hope it all continues like that.

The mechanics started at 8:00am this morning stripping the engine. I came down to the boat yard after work to check on the progress and found this.

I think something is missing.

Wow! That's fast work! Great to see they are men of their words! We need more men like that in the marine industries.

Dave.......someone stole your motor!.......:hide:
Nice dealing with PROs.....:thumb:

Last edited:
I got a call from Cummins today when I was at lunch. They finished putting the new engine in. They got water to it and ran it to check for leaks etc... Tomorrow afternoon it gets splashed and then a sea trial. I'll go out in the morning to get the arch, bimini, and antennas setup again.

It was hauled out with the bow forward since it was being towed and the travellift had to drop it stern facing the yard. That meant taking down all the tall stuff so the lift could back out over the stern. Dropping it in tomorrow, we should be able to drop it bow out.

When you sea trial, make sure the fuel burn numbers are roughly the same as the other engine. Seen where one engine was replaced with one "slightly different" than the original and it drove the owner nuts having twins not running the same.

This is twin engine, right??

When you sea trial, make sure the fuel burn numbers are roughly the same as the other engine. Seen where one engine was replaced with one "slightly different" than the original and it drove the owner nuts having twins not running the same.

This is twin engine, right??

My second engine gets amazing fuel performance. Regardless of the speed I'm running, it burns 0g/hr and is so quiet you would swear it isn't even there... :rofl:

Yeah, just a single.

Well, I did the sea trial with the new engine today. It went well. The started right up, ran smoothly, nothing leaked, and it moved the boat through the water.

The swap went well, there is one small ding in the gelcoat of my transom that occurred moving the new engine in place but that is all. I do have a Cummins Recon warrantee, 2 yrs or 2000 hrs.

The max RPM it achieved was only 2920, a bit shy of the rated 3000. Last year at the survey, the prior engine achieved 2925, but the boat was empty of any owners items. Today I had 1/2 fuel, 1/4 water, and all my junk on board. My feeling is that I'm just a tad over propped. I'll see about maybe adjusting the prop at some point. I must say, I don't like running the boat at WOT. It is not pleasant. It is very pleasant at 1400-1500.

Well, I did the sea trial with the new engine today. It went well. The started right up, ran smoothly, nothing leaked, and it moved the boat through the water.

The swap went well, there is one small ding in the gelcoat of my transom that occurred moving the new engine in place but that is all. I do have a Cummins Recon warrantee, 2 yrs or 2000 hrs.

The max RPM it achieved was only 2920, a bit shy of the rated 3000. Last year at the survey, the prior engine achieved 2925, but the boat was empty of any owners items. Today I had 1/2 fuel, 1/4 water, and all my junk on board. My feeling is that I'm just a tad over propped. I'll see about maybe adjusting the prop at some point. I must say, I don't like running the boat at WOT. It is not pleasant. It is very pleasant at 1400-1500.

Well, hope it all continues fine, but that was an impressive response by Cummins. Wasn't impressive the engine was damaged to start with but nice to see a company accepting their responsibility and then responding so quickly.

It also shows what can be done.

wow I am impressed yu can measure RPM by 5 increments, on my venerable I get measurement by 100 increase :)

L.

Great to hear, Dave. It's impressive what pros can do. Makes the guy who works on my boat look downright lazy!

If you mess up you fix up

Could use another word instead of "mess", but Cummins and or its agents did the right thing, quickly,once the collateral damage was identified.
David, I hope this gets you back to enjoying your boat, with a "new" engine as compensation for the experience.

Yup, I am looking forward to getting out on the boat. I want to put some hours on the engine over the next couple weeks to make sure everything is in good shape before we head North.

Run it hard for a while to bed the rings in. Not WOT, but harder than 1600.

Dave, glad to hear everything came together so well and quickly! Did they give you any break in recommendation and first oil change requirements?

Ted

Back
Top Bottom