Old 02-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Watermakers

Quote:
marinetrader wrote:

any idea of comparative costs of both the Spectra and VM?
You can get prices on line for*the Spectra*but will probably have to call*a Village Marine rep for their prices.* At boat shows*they are heavily discounted.**

Even if prices were comparable, I wouldn't put a DC unit on a boat that had a generator.* We try to minimize the run time on the generator.* Primarily we are running the generator to charge the house bank and make hot water.* If we had a DC water maker, it*would increase the generator run time since we would be replacing*DC amps that we took out to make water.* With our AC unit, we usually*have a surplus of water and find that the water maker is run less than the generator.

On a side note, Village Marine is now owned by Parker/Racor.

-- Edited by Larry M on Thursday 3rd of February 2011 08:44:22 AM

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #22
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
RE: Watermakers

Just a quick photo of a typical modular system installed.
This is the local bloke type i spoke of earlier.
Made in Australia I know but same sort of gear should be available for you guys.
Benn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	watermaker.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	4673  

Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #23
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Tidahapah wrote:

Just a quick photo of a typical modular system installed.
This is the local bloke type i spoke of earlier.
Made in Australia I know but same sort of gear should be available for you guys.
Benn
Big difference is ours make water, while the Aussie model can be used to make beer.* (Well, that's what I heard....)

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #24
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42

I took little different tack for my watermaker. I don't have a generator, just a large bank of batteries, so I researched the different DC watermakers and engine driven watermakers. I finally decided on an engine driven watermaker and purchased the components from George Walker of Quality Waterworks - http://qwwinc.com/index.html. I installed the system this fall and George provided excellent support and advise. This system makes 20GPH so I figure on a normal days run I can make all the water I could ever use. So far, I haven't tried actually making water after the install as I didn't want to disturb the factory pickling for the membrane but when I get back home to the boat (I spend the winter in Yuma.) this is one of the first projects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	watermaker 04.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	4675   Click image for larger version

Name:	watermaker 02.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	4676  
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #25
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

Quote:
windmist wrote:

I took little different tack for my watermaker. I don't have a generator, just a large bank of batteries, so I researched the different DC watermakers and engine driven watermakers. I finally decided on an engine driven watermaker and purchased the components from George Walker of Quality Waterworks - http://qwwinc.com/index.html. I installed the system this fall and George provided excellent support and advise. This system makes 20GPH so I figure on a normal days run I can make all the water I could ever use. So far, I haven't tried actually making water after the install as I didn't want to disturb the factory pickling for the membrane but when I get back home to the boat (I spend the winter in Yuma.) this is one of the first projects.
That looks like a great unit... and since we typically under load our main engines the added stress from the pump is a good thing...
On a different note... not to be too picky.. but* a couple things got my attention in the first pic, the electrical butt connectors look like a failure ready to happen.. at least a true marine grade through connector with heat shrink would be way better.. and the high pressure line out of the pump cannot be allowed to touch the beautiful cross bracket ( stainless steel ? ) The high pressure line off the pump tend to pulse in operation and will wear through and create a big mess in that sparkling engine room in a very short time!.* Enjoy all that water!
HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #26
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42

Thanks Hollywood for your comments. I'm sure some fine tuning will be needed after I actually produce water from it. Yes, the bracket is SS and it was the hardest part of the whole installation to get right.

Ron
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:38 AM   #27
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

A lot of the yachties out here fit engine driven water makers and it is a good way to go.
I all ready drive a 5 KVA gen set and a 1 1/2" jabso Bilge/Fire p/p off the front of the engine so it is a bit crowded.
Also having a 9 KVA diesel gen set I am able to make water at any time with out having to run the main engine.
Windmist,
That is a nice neat set up you have there.

Benn

Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote