Water Pump Rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autoteacher

Vessel Name
Paradox
Vessel Make
Mainship
I have twin Volvo Penta TMAD 60C 250 hp Diesel engines. They are 1986 vintage and the water pumps are not leaking or making noises, With the belts off they hand turn with no resistance, rough feel, or play. I just don't trust them.
We are docked in Marathon Fl for a while so I want to try and find a rebuilder that will work with them. These are the coolant circulating pumps, Not the raw water pumps that I have already reconditioned. Found a company in Detroit that says he will but is not sure. Found another in Fl that says send them and he will see if he can???? I would rather have some one that has done this and more with experience.
Depco will not rebuild coolant circulating pumps, they only do sea water pumps.
If I had a press I would do it myself, it is not rocket science. I have rebuilt water pumps before. I have ordered the seals and such from Volvo I just don't want to spend $1200 each for new pumps.
Has anyone had this work done and can advise me?

Thank you,
S

Yup- been there, done that. I had a similar problem with a Chrysler Mitsubishi diesel on my Bayliner 3870; the parts supplier (Blue Ridge Diesel) told me he could get the pumps for $1500 each, or recons at $750 each.

Found a place in Oregon that rebuilt the pump perfectly for $110 shipped.

Water Pump Man

Give him a call- iirc, his name is Tony.

I have rebuilt the circ pumps on my 1986 TMD40s. Ordered the seals and gaskets from Marine Parts Express and purchased the bearings from a local bearing house. A press is required to install the bearings and seals.

Exactly what I would like to do. But I don't have access to a press in Marathon Florida.

I do thank you for your response. Marine Parts Express has offered me a discount for a large order, Motor mounts and other stuff. they are nice to deal with.

Suggest you contact Depco Pump in Clearwater, FL. They can most likely rebuild it for you.
You can reach them at 727-446-1656. They are great folks and they are quick. They have rebuilt numerous pumps for me.

Volvos are good engines but you are SOL if you need parts as Volvo does not support engines that are no longer produced.

Have you considered purchasing a small manual hydraulic press? A 6 - 10 ton unit should do the job and these days small presses like this are not expensive.
I'm in a similar situation although I have a good set of pullers but the next time I need a press I will buy one.
Do you have a place to keep it may be more important?

depco came highly recommended BUT would not rebuild the Coolant Pumps as I stated in my post. Thank you for the reply but Dave at DEpco claims they do not do these pumps on any engines????????

I have twin TAMD63's. Rebuilt the starboard pump last summer, did the port one this winter.
To rebuild you will need some good pullers to press the old shaft and pull the front bearing off.
When reassembling I used a propane torch to heat the pulley before slipping it on to the front bearing. I did not have access to a hydraulic press so I used a vise that had to do the job of pressing the shaft in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom