Water in oil in westerbeke 20b two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duvie

Went to check the oil in my gull of bristol pilot and the oil was milky gray. Then I looked to put the dipstick back in and noticed the "oil" was actually flowing out of the dipstick tube. Not very good to see. I am assuming that I must have a raw water pump seal leak into the engine and wondering if this should be the first place I investigate or if there is some other area to check out? The 20b two is naturally aspirated.

Regardless of where it is getting in the first thing is to drain the oil and flush out the engine with fresh oil. Not familiar with this generator but if you have a water cooled oil cooler that would be one thing to look at to start.

Duvie,
I had the exact same thing with my Westerbeake last spring. The raw water pump seal was leaking into the oil. I drained the oil and refilled five times. Once I had the oil looking good, and had changed the filter twice, I tried to start it - surprise the oil pressure switch was gummed up and got a face full of oil from blown oil filter seal.
The problem I has was getting the oil out of the engine. To begin I tried using the oil extraction hose on the bottom of the oil pan but three different pumps would not even move the milkshake looking oil/water mix. In the end, a simple drill pump pulled the oil out at a very slow rate. Each oil change, it got faster.
Once you get the oil changed and the water pump replaced, start the engine and let it run. I let it run 5 minutes the first time and then changed the oil / filter.
The next time, I let it run for an hour with the oil cap off so any moisture could escape.

My 12.5 BT pump gave out two years ago with water coming out the weep hole as often is the case when the seals go. Were there any other things that showed up such as raw water leaking out of the front of the pump, steam in exhaust or high temperature excursion in the past? How often do you check your oil level?

Other things could be cracked block (freeze or overheat) or BO head gasket (age). But ASAP, as already said, get that bad oil out.

Me, I'd do at least 3 back to back very short runs and oil changes with op time limited until all moisture gone

Last edited:
I had no other indications that any thing was up with the engine until I checked the oil. I guess I will pull the pump tomorrow because the weather is not cooperating today. Being the holiday weekend I doubt I will be able to come up with parts for the pump. Think I will bypass the pump and run the engine using a garden hose for cooling so I can get the multiple oil change outs completed immediately. Off to the store pick up several oil filters and oil.

bearings toast

Pulled the pump and found the two water pump bearings were destroyed to the point a few of the balls were missing. Also the water pump drive bearing closest to the water pump was in bad shape. Complete rebuild kit should be here later today. I attached a picture of Seakindly with her engine box removed. The inflatable next to her with the 3 horse Mercury did a surprisingly good job of tugging Seakindly back to the dock in a 3 knot current and 2 foot chop. I had a bail out plan to put her on the dock down river if the tow did not go so well.

Attachments

• IMG_1217.jpg
    IMG_1217.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 107
Well you always feel better once the problem has been identified and the cost of repair is a known. Good luck with the rebuild. Like how many fenders you use as well, man after my own heart. Cheers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom