Old 02-24-2017, 10:52 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Silver
Vessel Model: Helmsman 31
Water/Gas Seperator results

I'm about to install a genset (WhisperPower's genset 3.5kw @ 3,600 RPM) and am wondering if anyone has experience with either their specific water/gas separator or a similarly installed separator in another application. Were the the results significant in regard to reduced noise?

Gas seperator for engine - Whisper Power
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:26 AM   #2
Guru

City: South Florida
A basic gas/water separator is a simple device and they all should perform similarly. In this case I would let price drive the decision as to which one, the competitive product being a Centek unit. The "kit" looks very convenient if you aren't around any suppliers for hose and seacocks.

https://www.centekindustries.com/pro...rator-exhaust/

It will be quieter. There should be no water sounds at all, no splashing, and the additional length of the exhaust run + the 180* turn at the separator will reduce exhaust noise.

On a small boat it is sometimes difficult to find a place high enough above the waterline to mount a separator, take a look before you leap.

If you plan to spend any amount of time on the hook with the genny running, a separator is a good consideration

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:13 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I have one of the Centek units on my boat and am very happy with it. Originally, the water was discharged under the hull. In an effort to remove excess through hulls, I redid the exhaust plumbing. Originally the exhaust gas teed with the engine exhaust and exited through the side with an 8" pipe. My repower engine only required a 4" exhaust. So I ran an 8" exhaust pipe from the back of the engine room out the transom. The bottom of the pipe is at water level. The propulsion engine, generator exhaust gas and water from the separator, all enter the 8" pipe in the engine room. The result is essentially no splashing as the water flows along the bottom of the pipe, and then exits the pipe without dropping. The generator exhaust goes through a lift muffler, the gas water seperator, 20' of hose / pipe with 3 sweep 90 degree turns before exiting the boat. At the exhaust pipe discharge, noise is all but non existent.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote