Volvo TMD 31A 2'd alternator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hudramsay

Has anyone found a kit to install a second alternator on a Volvo TMD 31A? Looking to add a second alternator on a Krogen Manatee. Balmar doesn't support a kit.

You will probablt have to get one built.

I would look to the truck folks for a 135 -150A unit that will give great power at high temperatures.
Perhaps $150. Be sure to purchase an alt with OUT a built in regulator (most truck are)
Get a boat 3 or 4 stage regulator from any supplier.

Dual belts on both the drive and alt will lower the maint and increase the belt life.

First place to start is with the engine folks to find out how to add belt groves to the existing engine.

Measure to be sure it will all fit.

Most diesels operate so slowly , and most alts can handle RPM well , that a good gearing up ratio can be chosen.

Last edited:
Has anyone found a kit to install a second alternator on a Volvo TMD 31A? Looking to add a second alternator on a Krogen Manatee. Balmar doesn't support a kit.
I would start my search with a Volvo dealer. Not a car dealer, but one that services Volvo marine and other engines (trucks and heavy equipment). My TAMD 41P was offered with a second alternator, but the original owner opted not to get it.

My engine pulley has two groves and two belts to a single alternator. I don't know if a second alternator would use the same pulley with a single belt to each alternator or a different pulley with four groves.

Back
Top Bottom