Volvo Shaft Seals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
Anyone using these? How does it go?
I found some info on CF and CL which was positive for the Volvo part. Alternatives compared were PSS and Tides.
Context, in one conventional gland(of 2) the packing repeatedly fails after a year, it leaks and tightening is ineffective.

Hey Bruce, I have dripless shaft seals on my twin Volvo's. Been there since new in 1999, they are starting fail now so am going to a Lasdrop dripless from Nautical Specialties. I like old school like the packing gland, but they do drip and I like less salt water inside my boat. Lasdrop are have the cost of PSS & Tides. I am having a hard time finding out what size my stern tubes are without taking the boat of the water and removing the old seals.

Hey Bruce, I have dripless shaft seals on my twin Volvo's. Been there since new in 1999, they are starting fail now so am going to a Lasdrop dripless from Nautical Specialties. I like old school like the packing gland, but they do drip and I like less salt water inside my boat. Lasdrop are have the cost of PSS & Tides. I am having a hard time finding out what size my stern tubes are without taking the boat of the water and removing the old seals.
Thanks for responding, and Welcome Aboard.
Your seals lasted 15 years. Tempting to replace them with the same, if available, probably improved over 15 years.
Checked the seals fitted for any branding which tells you the size? Maybe the boat manufacturer can tell you. If you post details about your boat, someone here may have the answer.
We are still looking at my issue, haul out soon for a/foul etc will be an opportunity to check it.

Back
Top Bottom