Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-10-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
shufti's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 199
Volvo raw water pump impellers on ebay...?

Looking at Ebay there are some cheap impeller kits for my TAMD41A from the UK. They nowhere say 'genuine volvo part' in the ad so I assume they are knock-offs. But.. has anyone tried them? Are they too good to be true.. or is an impeller just an impeller?

Ebay listing here
__________________
Advertisement

shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #2
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,126
My TAMD41s have Jabsco impellers.
__________________

__________________
Keith
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
Guru
 
ancora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,678
I have been using JABSCO impellers in my TMD40s for seventeen years. If you can avoid using Volvo parts, do so, as the costs are astronomical compared to Cat or Cummins.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:07 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
shufti's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 199
Thanks guys - did some checking and there's a Jabsco agent less tha 5km from my door. Got the impellers for less than 1/2 the price of the 'genuine volvo part'.

Thanks again.
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:05 AM   #5
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,178
I'm NOT a big EBay fan. There is no quality control or responsibility there. You could be dealing with a forger out of his basement in South America, or you could be dealing with a legit top drawer company. Unless you know, buyer beware.

Fortunately, it's usually ok, but not for me unless I can verify a quality seller and be able to verify the quality of the part.

Now there are some used items that make sense, but wearable items like impeller kits, hoses, motors... no way. And the OP link does not say who made the kit.

There are lots of good companies that discount boat parts, when you can have traceability and reputable parts.
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #6
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
............... If you can avoid using Volvo parts, do so, as the costs are astronomical compared to Cat or Cummins.
First of all, that's not necessarily true, but more importantly, genuine Volvo parts are a known quality. There are third party replacement parts for many Volvo parts and some are equal quality but some may be junk. It wouldn't be wise to ruin you engine because you save $10 on an inferior part.

If a part is significantly cheaper than the factory part, there is probably a reason.

Sometimes you can find genuine branded parts on eBay or other on-line vendors (amazon has a lot) at discounted prices.

And no, an impeller is not just an impeller. This is something that can fail if it's made with inferior materials or manufacturing process and could leave you stranded somewhere with an overheated engine and rubber debris all through your cooling system, heat exchanger, etc.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #7
Guru
 
Tom.B's Avatar
 
City: Cary, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
This is something that can fail if it's made with inferior materials or manufacturing process and could leave you stranded somewhere with an overheated engine and rubber debris all through your cooling system, heat exchanger, etc.
There is certainly something to be said about that. I tend to stick with factory-branded parts too. But dag-gumm, I wish Volvo wasn't so in love with their parts so much. We could have bought a used Mercedes convertible for what we paid for two new heat exchangers.
__________________
2000 Navigator 4200 Classic
(NOT a trawler)
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #8
Guru
 
FoxtrotCharlie's Avatar
 
City: Mississippi
Country: USA
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
There is certainly something to be said about that. I tend to stick with factory-branded parts too. But dag-gumm, I wish Volvo wasn't so in love with their parts so much. We could have bought a used Mercedes convertible for what we paid for two new heat exchangers.
Exactly why we've decided to rule out boats with Volvo Penta engines - hate that because we've seen some nice boats, that haven't sold.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #9
Guru
 
ancora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,678
Ditto here...after 17 years of putting up with Volvo, we will never own another Volvo powered boat.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #10
Guru
 
Irish Rambler's Avatar
 
City: NARBONNE
Country: FRANCE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,468
Volvo don't make impellers, they buy them from Jabsco and repackage them, they don't make filters either.
Only use Volvo parts for the duration of any guarantee as it will invalidate your warranty.
After that you are free to choose.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #11
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
There is certainly something to be said about that. I tend to stick with factory-branded parts too. But dag-gumm, I wish Volvo wasn't so in love with their parts so much. We could have bought a used Mercedes convertible for what we paid for two new heat exchangers.
Tom,

TOTALLY AGREE!

Volvo is brutally expensive, and they are not "that much better". Their CS is fair to poor and you can't just call them.

In the gas engine business, I've had both Volvo on two boats and Merc on perhaps 10 or more.

I'll NEVER EVER own another Volvo gas engine, and don't care if it's free! Costs are thru the roof and their service absolutely sucks. Unfortunately there are some great boat the have them.

Also, in my area there are probable one good Volvo guy to 100 good Merc guys.

Diesel, I don't know, never had one, but I'm a bit gun shy.
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #12
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
There is certainly something to be said about that. I tend to stick with factory-branded parts too. But dag-gumm, I wish Volvo wasn't so in love with their parts so much. We could have bought a used Mercedes convertible for what we paid for two new heat exchangers.
Lenco Coolers - marine heat exchangers, marine oil coolers

This is a reputable company. I bought and installed one of their transmission oil coolers.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #13
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Tom,

TOTALLY AGREE!

Volvo is brutally expensive, and they are not "that much better". Their CS is fair to poor and you can't just call them.

In the gas engine business, I've had both Volvo on two boats and Merc on perhaps 10 or more.

I'll NEVER EVER own another Volvo gas engine, and don't care if it's free! Costs are thru the roof and their service absolutely sucks. Unfortunately there are some great boat the have them.

Also, in my area there are probable one good Volvo guy to 100 good Merc guys.

Diesel, I don't know, never had one, but I'm a bit gun shy.
I can call or go to my local Volvo industrial/marine dealer and talk to the parts guys and buy what I need. If they don't have it, they will get it in a few days.

I haven't needed them for service but they do have a full service shop.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #14
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I can call or go to my local Volvo industrial/marine dealer and talk to the parts guys and buy what I need. If they don't have it, they will get it in a few days.

I haven't needed them for service but they do have a full service shop.
WesK,

You're fortunate, we don't have that here, and I've NEVER been able to contact Volvo at all. Merc will answer in a heartbeat... MUCH better service.

Volvo.... NEVER again.
__________________

__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×