Old 09-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #41

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
FWIW,

Our Volvo KAD44P (a 260 hp straight six, one of the newer models of the venerable 40 series) just completed its 15th season. We've put almost 5100 hours on it, and it runs like new (probably better, since it's broken in). Engine parts availability has not been a problem - not to say that we've needed a lot of them.

"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #42
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
For those of us who don't mind buying and installing OEM parts, all manufacturers seem to be expensive. Volvo at least has put their money into improving the breed via outdrives and pods with other diesel suppliers staying away from the drive side. These facts aside, boating in general is expensive whether it be slips, insurance, haulouts etc. Just get out your wallet and enjoy it.

sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #43
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The world had a universal and well established "reputation" for being flat for a very long time.

Does a better made, designed and manufactured engine run "sweeter" "smoother" "quieter" "more responsive" and otherwise nicer or better than a bottom of the barrel engine? I recently had the experience of hearing an older turbo Volvo engine run and I was amazed. Seemed to me to be quieter, smoother and more responsive than any diesel I've ever heard. I also spent a day w a new VW Jetta diesel recently and was even more amazed w that. Was this because it was a mighty fine engine or was I just having a great day or positive senior moment or what? Perhaps the features of the engine were to blame like the turbo, possible balancers, combustion chamber design or fuel injection type. Or does the quality of the engine have a greater effect on the "sweetness" of an engine? I suspect it's 90% features and design and 10% "quality". Perhaps 100% features.

Any opinions or facts to offer?
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
I think Hollywood is right on the mark, and Marin also has some good points. If your friend has been waiting 3 months for a camshaft, logic (and the fact that a commercial boat must run to make $$$) would dictate that the owner have the cam ground to his specs and get back to work. I've been around performance engines for most of my life, and when we needed a non-stock lift, duration, or overlap for a specific application, it was as easy as sending the specs to Comp Cams, waiting 72 hours, and receiving the product.

As for the McGuyver aspect- one of our previous boats was a Bayliner 3870 with the CM-655 Mitsu diesel. Great engine, but factory parts were scarce. I had a circ pump go out on me, and Keith at Blue Ridge Diesel in Anacortes quoted me $1500 for a reman pump! That was a bit high for me, so I did a bit of searching, and found a shop that repaired the pump for $115 shipped. This shop specialized in repairing hot rods! Turnaround was 6 days.

Engines aren't rocket science- they're just engines, so it's just a matter of working the problem vice fretting about it.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #45
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
I think Hollywood is right on the mark, and Marin also has some good points. If your friend has been waiting 3 months for a camshaft, logic (and the fact that a commercial boat must run to make $$$) would dictate that the owner have the cam ground to his specs and get back to work. I've been around performance engines for most of my life, and when we needed a non-stock lift, duration, or overlap for a specific application, it was as easy as sending the specs to Comp Cams, waiting 72 hours, and receiving the product.

As for the McGuyver aspect- one of our previous boats was a Bayliner 3870 with the CM-655 Mitsu diesel. Great engine, but factory parts were scarce. I had a circ pump go out on me, and Keith at Blue Ridge Diesel in Anacortes quoted me $1500 for a reman pump! That was a bit high for me, so I did a bit of searching, and found a shop that repaired the pump for $115 shipped. This shop specialized in repairing hot rods! Turnaround was 6 days.

Engines aren't rocket science- they're just engines, so it's just a matter of working the problem vice fretting about it.
Ahoy - "Marine Insurance Guru" Pau Hana... I like your drift and concur with your "Get Her Done" attitude.

So, may I ask, you a guru in marine ins? If so, what up? Cheers, Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #46
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Ahoy - "Marine Insurance Guru" Pau Hana... I like your drift and concur with your "Get Her Done" attitude.

So, may I ask, you a guru in marine ins? If so, what up? Cheers, Art
That I be, Art- I am VP of a large Pacific Northwest based marine only insurance brokerage. All we dabble in is marine and marine related coverages (artisan/contractor, marinas and docks, cargo, commercial and charter, etc).

I feel blessed to be doing what I'm doing, and totally enjoying it!

Pete

Old 10-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #47
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
That I be, Art- I am VP of a large Pacific Northwest based marine only insurance brokerage. All we dabble in is marine and marine related coverages (artisan/contractor, marinas and docks, cargo, commercial and charter, etc).

I feel blessed to be doing what I'm doing, and totally enjoying it!

Pete
Pete - I take it your Ins Co does not do per-boat ins, correct? - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #48
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Pete - I take it your Ins Co does not do per-boat ins, correct? - Art
No, sir- we have a substantial portfolio of private pleasure policies on the books in addition to the aforementioned commercial risks. We have policies on boats from 1923 to present, with lengths from 10' to 120+', and all hull materials.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #49
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
IIf your friend has been waiting 3 months for a camshaft, logic (and the fact that a commercial boat must run to make $$$) would dictate that the owner have the cam ground to his specs and get back to work.
The camshaft is broken. It's a Volvo engine, it needs a Volvo camshaft.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #50
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The camshaft is broken. It's a Volvo engine, it needs a Volvo camshaft.
Understood. A camshaft is just billet material that has been machined to a certain spec, and has a timing gear. Any cam grinder could take his broken camshaft, use it as a template, and make him a new one- all done within a week.

It'd probably be spendy, but much less expensive than lost revenue sitting pierside for 3 months.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #51
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana

It'd probably be spendy, but much less expensive than lost revenue sitting pierside for 3 months.
At $1500 for a factory part that 3 months later isn't there. Spendy is a relative term at best. The mechanic working on this Volvo sounds more like a parts changer if the custom grind route hasn't been thoroughly exhausted yet.

That motor won't care who ground the cam as long as it's to spec.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #52
Scraping Paint

This isn't a commercial boat we're talking about. It's just a recreational cruiser. My friend already investigated having a new camshaft made and the price was more expensive (in his semi-serious words) than re-engining the boat. We're talking about making new gears and other bits. Actually he says he's close to re-enginining the boat anyway as he's so fed up with Volvo's lack of support, parts scarcity, and over-the-moon prices.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #53
TF Site Team

Quote:
This isn't a commercial boat we're talking about. It's just a recreational cruiser. My friend already investigated having a new camshaft made and the price was more expensive (in his semi-serious words) than re-engining the boat. We're talking about making new gears and other bits. Actually he says he's close to re-enginining the boat anyway as he's so fed up with Volvo's lack of support, parts scarcity, and over-the-moon prices.
My apologies; I mis-read, and mashed together the longline fleet owner and the recreational vessel owner.

The wildest cam I had ground for a 1987 Buick Turbo Regal was $400. Doing a stock profile cam for the diesel should be less than that. Even factoring in the cost to measure the broken camshaft for get the specs, it shouldn't cost more that $1000.

Ram Engine the #1 source for all your engine needs
Home

A repower would easily start in the 5 figures.....

Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #54
Scraping Paint

Well, I'm only repeating what I was told. But apparently making a new Volvo camshaft and gears is not something that can be done with generic components on which the can lobes are ground to some spec. You need a Volvo camshaft which apparently for this particular engine is made out of unobtainum.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #55
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin
Well, I'm only repeating what I was told. But apparently making a new Volvo camshaft and gears is not something that can be done with generic components on which the can lobes are ground to some spec. You need a Volvo camshaft which apparently for this particular engine is made out of unobtainum.
unobtainum

Lol!!!!

I agree, if a manufacturer cannot or will not support a reasonably old product then go with a different manufacturer
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #56
FF
Guru

I agree, if a manufacturer cannot or will not support a reasonably old product then go with a different manufacturer

I agree , parts for my 50 year old DD 6-71 can be had world wide , and there are so many sources there is great competition to provide them that UNOBTANIUM prices never apply.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #57
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

I agree , parts for my 50 year old DD 6-71 can be had world wide , and there are so many sources there is great competition to provide them that UNOBTANIUM prices never apply.
Yes!!

People here seem to fault the old detroits, but when you need a part you can find it, probably anywhere in the world.

That is a well supported engine!
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #58
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Well, I'm only repeating what I was told. ................
But you're comfortable bashing a manufacturer based on hearsay.

There's not a product that has ever been made that didn't have at least one disgruntled customer.

Using hearsay as a test, all products from all manufactures are bad.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #59
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
But you're comfortable bashing a manufacturer based on hearsay.

Hearsay? The guy who owns the engine with the problem told me in person what the problem is and his experience with Volvo and you consider that hearsay?

There are people--- not many thank goodness-- who believe that no information or experience is valid unless it is experienced by them directly. Which means that advice or information related by others, or worse, is related by someone who heard it from one of the "others," is automatically not be believed and thus has no credibility because it was not experienced in person.

That, to me, is a very blindered and limiting way to live, to dismiss all information unless one has experienced it all himself. That means that marine sanitation advice from Peggie Hall, or wood finishing advice from shipwright Bob Lowe on the Grand Banks forum, or someone who got advice from Peggie or Bob and is passing it on to me, I should dismiss as "hearsay" and not give it any credibility because the advice is not something I learned by doing it myself.

I've known a few people like that-- nothing is to be believed unless one does or experiences it oneself---- and always found them to be extremely boring, uninteresting people with little to nothing of value to offer.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #60
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Hearsay? The guy who owns the engine with the problem told me in person what the problem is and his experience with Volvo and you consider that hearsay?
Well, what he told you are the facts is the textbook legal definition of "hearsay". Your testimony of what he said would not be admissible in court. That guy would have to testify in person as to what happened to him. (Certain exceptions might apply , etc.).

dwhatty is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo