Volvo Penta Parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rclarke246

Vessel Name
Lady Di
Vessel Make
2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
New boater here.
Pretty handy with tools and easy maintenance but by no means a mechanic.
I'd like to perform any maintenance items that are within my capabilities, such as:

Air Filters
Crankcase Breather filters
Fuel Filters
Impellars
Zincs
Belts
Hoses
Suggested other items?

One day I'd like to be able to:

Change Oil and filters on my engines and transmissions.
Again, please suggest other items.

I enjoy this type of work as it, 1) saves me money, 2) teaches me how things work, and 3) assures me that it was done and done right.

I'm coming to grips with the pros and cons of my Volvo Penta D4's, 300 hp engines.

One issue that seems clear is that parts, when available, are expensive.

The engines have less that 300 hours and are still under warranty. I am not interested, certainly while under warranty, using anything but Volvo brand parts.

Where is the best (easiest, and cheapest) place for me to by parts? I fully understand that every business is entitled to a reasonable mark-up.

FYI, here is some parts pricing history (not including labor) from my Volvo dealer:

Transmission Oil Filter: $54.59
Bypass Oil Filter: $29.96
Oil Filter: $36.20
Fuel Filter: $39.50
Racor Fuel Filter: $12.95
Air Filter: $56.46
Crankcase Breather Filter: $121.47
Belt: $47.66
Oil: $25.94 / gallon
Impeller Kit: $44.00
Zincs: $10.51

As usual, I'm always interested in your insight. Thank you in advance!
Any tips are graciously accepted.

Last edited:
Go to an old fashioned auto parts store , the type with a paper catalog not a kid with a computer.

There are parts interchange books , I find the Fram book easy to work with.

Get the book and look up your Volvo oil filter , there will be direct cross numbers , as well as a list of other filter Mfg and their parts numbers. Copy all for your log book.

Then write down the specifics of your filter ,,say,,3/4 NPT inlet 5 in seal diameter and 6 inch can length, check valve or not.

Then look at the dimensions section.

Many times a far smaller filter is stock equipment to show a NA a slender profile.

If this is not needed usually a far higher capacity truck unit will be 1/2- 1/5the Volvo price.

It will be the same description , just longer

When you get it figured out buy a CASE from the shop. Then vacuum bag the filters .

Oil filters are not expected to be in stock for long so will rust inside the canister if not used , or sealed.

Do this for all your filter needs , and save bucks.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom