Old 05-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Propane Outboards

Ever thought about a propane outboard? Clean, simple, reliable. Here's a 2.5 hp @ $1k,and a 5 hp @ $1.5k. www.golehr.com.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Like the idea for a few reasons:

1 less fuel on the trawler if you are already carry propane.
Fuel doesn't go bad over time.
4 cycle propane motors are much cleaner internally with less carbon build up.

Definition of a pessimist is an optimist with experience. Last 2 early adopter options I bought into didn't work out well. I'll be waiting on the side lines rooting for them for a couple of years.

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Since they are converted 4 stroke engines they are just as heavy (almost) and the little ones probably shake just like the 4 stroke gasoline engines.

I wonder why they did'nt make 2 stroke OBs w propane. They do'nt need chokes so starting should be easy and they are clean burning. Hmmmmmm
I'm sure there is some reason though.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I wonder why they did'nt make 2 stroke OBs w propane. They do'nt need chokes so starting should be easy and they are clean burning. Hmmmmmm
I'm sure there is some reason though.
Betcha it's about lubrication.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Ted, they are having some teething problems but I think that will be resolved very soon. I played with one at the Miami International Boat Show. It runs so clean that they were allowed to run it inside the convention center. There are plans for a ten hp motor to follow the 2.5 and 5.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Would love to buy one just don't like beta testing anything except apps and computer programs. Propane is an ideal fuel for small industrial engines, it should work equally well for small outboards IMO.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #7
Guru

Mark wrote:
"Betcha it's about lubrication."

The engine would need to be oil injected........like my 40 e-tech.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #8
FF
Guru

"I wonder why they did'nt make 2 stroke OBs w propane".

"The engine would need to be oil injected........like my 40 e-tech"

No problem , Styer Damler Puch refined the oil pumping system after WWII.

Just takes an oil tank, might be a great place to lube with dead french fry oil.

A GREEN!! 2 stroke! That smells good!

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Mark wrote:
"Betcha it's about lubrication."

The engine would need to be oil injected........like my 40 e-tech.
But that would effect the clean burn and defeat the clean burn purpose.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Guru

JD,
You mean that's the whole point of it ..... to be green?

I had a propane Buick once. Ran perfect all the time except when I'd switch back to gas. Only did that to keep the gaskets in the carburetor from going south. I told my dad he should convert his Cadillac to propane and he about had a fit that I would suggest such a repulsive thing. The thought of someone in his Cadillac getting a possible whiff of the smell of propane .....ewew

JD, seems to me the Evinrude people claim the e-tech series has less emissions than a 4 stroke. And the small amount of oil the engine goes through is almost scary.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
JD,
You mean that's the whole point of it ..... to be green?

JD, seems to me the Evinrude people claim the e-tech series has less emissions than a 4 stroke. And the small amount of oil the engine goes through is almost scary.
If that is true and I'm in favor of it being so, then why do they not make a smaller 2-stroke that meets the EPA requirements? They would sell a million of them.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #12

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27
Evinrude makes a 15hp E-Tec motor, but it weighs 177lbs! The injectors are electrically operated, and use a lot of 12 volt power, so the engine needs a large alternator. The 15hp is the same weight as a 25hp E-Tec, probably is just a detuned 25.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
Guru

As far as the oil needed to lube the engine.....I used to work at the Torrington Company and they made the main and rod bearings for the OMC 2 strokes and Merc 2 strokes. We also tested them in our lab.
The bogey was x number of hours ( I recall it being 250 but I could be wrong) at 2500 rpm in a test tanks (with a load wheel) with no oil at all in the mix.
It is surprising how little oil they really need to survive light duty.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
Guru

I like these engines but 177lbs for 15hp is sick!

Anybody know if these e-tech's are cleaner than the 4 strokes? I think it's true but only under certain conditions like at idle or at high load or whatever.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Thumbs up CNG Outboard

We just a tour on the San Antonio Riverwalk by boat and got a pic of the old outboard. All run on CNG.

BTW, the outboard is not indicative of the area. A shameless plug for the area. Our first time here and it is awesome, laid back. Beautiful native montezua cypress trees provide shade as you explore the endless restaurants, shops and locations to get a frozen margarita "with salt please"!
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
The there may be advantages to a propane fuelled outboard, but the main disadvantage I see is the difficulty of obtaining fuel, especially if you manage to run out while on the water. You can buy, borrow, or steal gasoline fairly easily, but I doubt you can call TowBoatUS or SeaTow and ask them to bring you a few gallons of propane.

If they ever become mainstream, that may change. I'll wait and see.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
I like these engines but 177lbs for 15hp is sick!

Anybody know if these e-tech's are cleaner than the 4 strokes? I think it's true but only under certain conditions like at idle or at high load or whatever.
Eric--- In investigating the notion of repowering our 17' Arima the other week at Jacobsen Marine in Seattle here is what I learned:

We currently have a 90hp 2-stroke Yamaha on the boat, original to the boat. Yamaha does not make a 90 hp 4-stroke, so the choices for our boat are 100 hp or 70 hp. (Yamaha no longer sells 2-stroke engines of any kind in the US).

Jacobsen also sells Evinrude 2-stroke E-Tech engines. Advantages I was told for the Yamaha are cleaner and quieter. The advantage cited for the E-Tech is lighter. The Yamaha 100 hp is way heavier, the Jacobsen guy said, than the equivelent power E-tech.

While weight is certainly a consideration we would get a 4-stroke for the boat, either a Yamaha or a Honda. We would not get the E-Tech.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #18
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
............. We would not get the E-Tech.
You obviously have some unspecified predudice against the E-Tech, but what about the additional weight of a modern four stroke outboard on your boat? Many people have reported problems when repowering a small boat with a heavier engine.

If your boat was designed for a 300 lb outboard, you should really stay pretty close to that to avoid problems.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #19
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Another consideration, and this is from memory, haven't googled it. As I remember from a class. LP is 100 octane that sounds great. But it produces less BTU's than gasoline not great. Less power. Never really noticeable on a forift but on a high reving outboard??
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #20
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You obviously have some unspecified predudice against the E-Tech, but what about the additional weight of a modern four stroke outboard on your boat? Many people have reported problems when repowering a small boat with a heavier engine.
I don't have a predjudice against the E-tech technology, I have a predjudice against Evinrude motors (and Johnson and Mercury). If Yamaha or Honda were using this technology and it had a proven track record we'd probably consider it if the weight advantage made a significant difference.

The 17' Arima Sea Ranger is rated for more than 100 hp. I've seen them with 115 and 120 hp motors (2-stroke) although the most common power over the years has been 70 and 90. So I think our boat would do fine with the 100 hp 4-stroke Yamaha in terms of weight. I've seen a fair number of them so it seems to be a popular engine for that boat.

We have not yet looked into what Honda has on offer in our power range.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote