Volkswagen Diesel Engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With the potential bad press this is giving diesels in the US, I wonder what Mazda will do with its Mazda 6 project now?
Mazda sell them here.
A great plus of turbo diesels, apart from low fuel use, is torque. Mazda get 129Kw/420Nm from 2.2L, my Peugeot 508 gets 150kw/450Nm out of 2.2L. I like that climbing ability.

I have had 3 TDIs and currently have 2, a 2009 Jetta and a 2015 Golf. If I can I will opt out of any recall due to this. I did not buy these cars because someone said they are clean, I bought because of performance and mileage. My Jetta will get between 45 - 49 MPG at 70 and my Golf will get between 50 - 53! I'm about ready to do the DPF delete and a stage two tune on the Jetta.

BTW Diesels are not tested in our state.

:thumb:

Same for us..we bought the oiler because it got 50+ mpg on the highway..right until I mashed down the hammer and hit 22psi of boost..then it left the unsuspecting gassers in the black smoke of it's 170hp glory.
Vw tdi will weather this just fine.
Hollywood

Greetings,
Mr. h. You youngsters drive too fast...

giphy.gif

Me too

I disagree RT. Air cooled engines in a car is a stupid idea unless gas is $.49 a gallon. Way too much heat loss. I had a 1957 36hp Bettle and I liked the little car a lot but never got over 27mpg. And then there's the heater.

My Suburu Outback does much better and is way faster. Hard to smoq a air cooled engine. Emissions killed aircooled. M

You don't need that performance.
We need clean air more that cool cars.

NOX is not dirt in the air , it is simply part of the climate change HOAX .

Simplest cure would seem to be to end the HOAX , and get back to efficiency , not computer dreamed hassles.

You don't need that performance.
We need clean air more that cool cars.

NOX is not dirt in the air , it is simply part of the climate change HOAX .

Simplest cure would seem to be to end the HOAX , and get back to efficiency , not computer dreamed hassles.

I too am fed up with the vast conspiracy of the world's pulmonary, cardiovascular, epidemiological and climate scientists to deprive me of the right to burn anything I want. I mean, if you can't see "dirt in the air," it must be harmless, right?

:banghead:

American Lung Association State of the Air 2013 - Ozone Pollution

Reduce the population by 75% and pollution will drop dramatically....

That is the best solution.
Diloution is the solution to pollution.
If you **** in the ocean it's OK.
If 30 billion **** in the ocean it's a cesspool.
Back to 1950 population.

Actually, it can be done without resorting to eugenics. Air pollution from power plants--including sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide and particulates--has dropped enormously in the US since the 1970s . . . while the population and economy have increased.

The Issue is not a rehash of global warming arguments. It is quite simple, the largest corporate fraud in automotive history has been found out. Had this been perpetrated by a Chinese company we would all be just nodding in agreement.

As mentioned earlier, German arrogance abounds. A common theme being stated worldwide it would seem. Let the beatings begin with billions in fines looming. If one were a VW shareholder there are no remedies, except along the lines of Ken Lay type punishment.

Last week I was car shopping. Trips to Audi and BMW were cut short. Ended up with an SUV made in Alabama, Acura. The honest car companies are picking up some sales. The Audi dealer mentioned guilt by association. It's a shame too as I was looking forward to the new Q7. But my wife reminded me of our poor luck with MBs in the past and German tomfoolery etc.

So why did VW do this, not dissimilar from steaming into a hurricane. Sooner or later :eek:

Might I suggest you sink your nasty polluting DeFever then.

Well, we all live with artifacts of the past, don't we?

Like most rational people, I adopt cleaner alternatives as they become available or economically feasible or required by law--which is how societal behavior changes over time unless, like VW, you cheat. Just like the last vehicle I bought is orders of magnitude cleaner than my gas-powered VW was (trying to return closer to topic).

Is it possible to favor--and make sensible, progressive movement toward--healthier air without being labeled a hypocrite or environmental extremist? Or have you drunk the talk radio Kool Aid?

The Germans knowingly violated government regulations. Is this worse than the Japanese (see Takata airbag recall) knowingly selling defective airbags or the Americans (General Motors) knowingly putting defective ignition switches in cars? The German problems haven't killed anyone that I know of.

Yes the VW's have killed many says an article on yahoo. The NOX stuff is very bad it seems. Never mind if it can be seen. The polution problem in Germany is so bad now there's talk of banning diesels there.

Another article on yahoo says VW cheated because of a shortage of engines. NOX being a serious health issue makes what VW did a serious crime and when it all falls out I think they won't survive.

Claiming 4k lives lost due to VW sounds like BS to me.

The Germans knowingly violated government regulations. Is this worse than the Japanese (see Takata airbag recall) knowingly selling defective airbags or the Americans (General Motors) knowingly putting defective ignition switches in cars? The German problems haven't killed anyone that I know of.

I agree. The problem needs to be put in the proper perspective.

Whatever happened to the "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time" mentality?

There was a known standard that had to be met to vend their cars in certain countries. Either they couldn't meet the standard, didn't want to increase the unit cost, or didn't choose to lower hp rating. VW committed a fraudulent act and got caught. They are fully accountable for their actions. Even they know this and are acting accordingly.

Everything else is a straw man.

PS: Tom, My wife loves her MDX...

Last edited:
A few years ago, the EPA, UNC and at least two other US universities were studying the affects of diesel air pollution on people. They backed up a medium duty truck to a building, connected one end of a pipe to the engine exhaust and the other end went into a box. Inside the box sat a person breathing the diesel exhaust. Sick people too. Not healthy people.

The experiments were stopped when someone brought this to the attention of the press.

What is interesting is that I can no longer find the story on the local tv station where I first saw the report. There are other reports about the study on the internet though. You make make the story disappear in some places on the Internet but not all.

If diesel exhaust is so dangerous, kills so many people, how can one do experiments on people, especially sick people, and someone not go to prison?

Later,
Dan

Greetings,
Mr. dan. "...how can one do experiments on people, especially sick people, and someone not go to prison?" Goldman Sachs!

I still like my TDIs and will avoid any de-tuning fix they might offer. Maybe all the LED bulbs I'm using will grant me clemency from the Green Gods. VOW3 is up almost 4% today, better buy some while it is on sale!

PS: Tom, My wife loves her MDX...

So does mine. I had fun trying out all the SUVs. At the end of the day the MDX stood tallest and was a good combination of quality, size, performance, value and safety.

I still like my TDIs and will avoid any de-tuning fix they might offer.

The states that emission test will mandate the VW fix (when finalized and approved) be made. CA as usual is leading the lawsuit and doomsday rhetoric. VW lobbied hard for a $50 million clean technology tax credit from the feds. All sorts of flack is building up over that scam.

What a shame as the VW 2 liter TDI had performed so well.

Of course. Over population = over pollution. So simple, so easy, so unacceptable to many. Better to nag us endlessly with guilt, about reducing this and that, ignoring the real cause.

A neighbour has a TDI engine in his boat and loves it. Very fuel efficient, I understand.

We have two TDI's: a 2002 sedan and a 2004 wagon. They pulled the TDI's from the NA market around 2008 as they couldn't meet the Californian emission standards. I guess the software cheat enabled them to meet the standards.

We love our TDI's. I've got 280,000 kms on the wagon.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom