Old 06-28-2016, 11:40 PM   #41
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
The 1710s are not the engine of choice for doing a Transpac with 1400 g of fuel. Assuming we're not getting pranked, it will be interesting to see the details as they emerge.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:46 AM   #42

City: Nouméa
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Bugster, did you think of buying in Australia, or New Zealand?
Sydney - Noumea is 1225 nautical miles, and for the boat shopping, Air Calamite flies Noumea - Sydney in 2.5 hours.
Hi BruceK
Yes I have think to buying in australia but I have found nothing or to expensive

Bugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #43

City: Nouméa
Ding Dong!!! ding dong!!!!
I have news from the seller , the engines are not cummins 12V BUT 6BT of 300 hp.
may be I have not understand the seller , He say to me of the engine are 12V and I have understant engines with 12 cylinders
BUT the 6BT of 300 hp have 12 valves
So , it is not a serious problème , 6 BT are better to crusing and good reputations
Today some people are going to see me and talk to me , there want make the travel with me and filmed the history for a blog

So happy news for me today

Stéphane
Bugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugster View Post
Salut Pete
Est-tu français ? si non , tu l'écris bien , merci a toi et si tu vois que je m'exprime mal en anglais ou que je ne suis pas assez précis dans ce que je dis , merci de me prévenir
peu être a un de ces jours
Stéphane

En tous cas , soyez tous sûr que je ne pars pas a l'aventure sans y être bien préparer.....
No, I am not French, Stéphane, but I studied it at high school, and I like to practice it for if I can get back to France or New Caledonia.

Do not worry, your English is very good - we can make out what you are saying with no trouble.
"En tout cas , soyez tous sûr que je ne pars pas a l'aventure sans y être bien préparer..."
We can also see you are going into this well prepared.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #45
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
A pair of 6BTs in an ocean rated and Transpac capable 54 foot vessel with 1400 g of fuel capacity - very unusual.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #46
FF
Guru

For most cruiser use , rather than tear down the engine , just because you can, I would be in the group that suggests checking it out first.

As a mechanic a compression test and a blow down test will be cheap (mostly labor ) and easy to do.

While they are out I would have the injectors checked and rebuilt. And get a couple of extras.

I would do an oil sample of engine and transmission and change the oil hot and begin to use whatever oil you will use for your passage.

However nice the boat is it probably can use help in the bilge pump dept for offshore..

A 2 inch belt driven with mechanical clutch Jabsco for each engine would be a minimum.

If you have a generator a home lawn watering pump, also 2 inch works well to bail..

A 2 inch Edson portable mounted on a board would be a good idea.

These can pump can labels and modest bilge trash with out harm.

IF the fuel tanks have inspection ports , use them to clean out any gunk from the tank interior.

Then filter any fuel you fill with , its slow but worth while to use a filter that simply clamps to the fuel delivery nozzle.

At least a 5 day 24/7 run will show up any other items to cure.

Check the LAW , every crew member or guest should have to purchase a ticket home ,,,that YOU hold , or you will be stuck with the air fare bill.

Good luck, sounds like a great adventure.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote