Old 06-26-2016, 06:40 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugster View Post
Yes i want enjoy with my boat and not be afraid....and this return trip will be beautifull
Hawai , kiribati , samoa , fidji , new caledonia.......
Sounds great. I have visited Noumea via boat, but it was the 'Pacific Sun', not long before she was sold off by P & O to a Chinese Company. A nice sized liner thought - not too big.

I loved what I saw, and it gave me a bit of a chance to test out my very rusty (high school days) French. We fitted in the Yellow Train trip as well. That's a great way to see Noumea as a guided tour, and time is limited.

I might try a bit of French practice on you as we go along, if thats ok..? I just loved the 5 days we had in Paris, while visiting number one son in London, and we took the EuroStar to Paris, but that was all too short - unfinished business there, and I need to get back. One standout, seeing we are into boats on here, was the Musée National de la Marine located at the Place du Trocadero. Fantastic display of model vessels of all types, interesting videos, etc. Have you been there..?

Sorry, thread drift over...

Old 06-26-2016, 07:02 AM   #22

City: Nouméa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Sounds great. I have visited Noumea via boat, but it was the 'Pacific Sun', not long before she was sold off by P & O to a Chinese Company. A nice sized liner thought - not too big.

I loved what I saw, and it gave me a bit of a chance to test out my very rusty (high school days) French. We fitted in the Yellow Train trip as well. That's a great way to see Noumea as a guided tour, and time is limited.

I might try a bit of French practice on you as we go along, if thats ok..? I just loved the 5 days we had in Paris, while visiting number one son in London, and we took the EuroStar to Paris, but that was all too short - unfinished business there, and I need to get back. One standout, seeing we are into boats on here, was the Musée National de la Marine located at the Place du Trocadero. Fantastic display of model vessels of all types, interesting videos, etc. Have you been there..?

Sorry, thread drift over...
Hi Pete ,

I'm going to Paris when I was young but so mutch people for me
Nouméa is good to visit but so many shop are closed and it's shade for the tourist we can do better for you
Where are you located in australia? may be one day where going in australia with our boat
see you
Stéphane

Bugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:04 AM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Engines and oil levels are one thing, overall vessel integrity another. Before attempting a Transpac, all relevant systems, electronics, communications, weather routers, running gear, fuel tank integrity, safety equipment etc come into question.

Lost at sea is a reality to plan around. Hopefully Bugster you have some trusted allies who have done this before in a similar vessel.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Engines and oil levels are one thing, overall vessel integrity another. Before attempting a Transpac, all relevant systems, electronics, communications, weather routers, running gear, fuel tank integrity, safety equipment etc come into question.

Lost at sea is a reality to plan around. Hopefully Bugster you have some trusted allies who have done this before in a similar vessel.
Yes , dont worry , when I said before , I wil stay all the time is needed to checked all the boat including the cleaning of the fuel tank , the electronics etc.....i dont whant to be lost in the sea I have my life , my whife and 4 children I'm not crasy dont worry
Old 06-26-2016, 07:31 AM   #25
Guru

Bugster.

Some of us remember a lady who came to us with questions about cruising the world with her family. .

Two questions, (1) care to share the boat information with us as it appears on yacht world? (2) what yard will be doing the haul out, inspections and work on this vessel?
Old 06-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Bugster.

Some of us remember a lady who came to us with questions about cruising the world with her family. .

Two questions, (1) care to share the boat information with us as it appears on yacht world? (2) what yard will be doing the haul out, inspections and work on this vessel?
I'm in contact with the seller and i'm waiting for more information about the boat and the inspector on the place for the different survey.
I think it's better to looking for the people when i'm on the spot and make all I must to do time after time.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sidney
Is there good solid information on the engine rebuilds?
Who, what, when, where, etc.?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Is there good solid information on the engine rebuilds?
Who, what, when, where, etc.?
Hi Hawgwash ,

I rebuid myself , I'm working many years on the mining gear , I'm working on many caterpilliar and cimmins engine and rebuild

Engines and electricity are not a problème , my only question was about consumption , not the same beetwen mining and boat

Stéphane
Old 06-28-2016, 05:41 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Hi Pete ,

I'm going to Paris when I was young but so mutch people for me
Nouméa is good to visit but so many shop are closed and it's shade for the tourist we can do better for you
Where are you located in australia? may be one day where going in australia with our boat
see you
Stéphane
J'habite à Brisbane, Australie, Stéphane. Bonne chance avec votre projet de bateau.

Cheers,
Old 06-28-2016, 06:18 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
J'habite à Brisbane, Australie, Stéphane. Bonne chance avec votre projet de bateau.

Cheers,
Salut Pete
Est-tu français ? si non , tu l'écris bien , merci a toi et si tu vois que je m'exprime mal en anglais ou que je ne suis pas assez précis dans ce que je dis , merci de me prévenir
peu être a un de ces jours
Stéphane

En tous cas , soyez tous sûr que je ne pars pas a l'aventure sans y être bien préparer.....
Old 06-28-2016, 07:00 AM   #31
FF
Guru

"I have calculate ,2065 miles at 8 knots , it's 262 hours for the best time , certainly more....I am still has the research of conversion tables"

Just how long is the WL of the boat?

8K is a pretty high speed for an ocean crossing , unless she is 60+ on the water line.

Perhaps a slower speed 7K or 6k might cut the fuel bill in half?

Or increase the range to dry tanks by 40-60%?

For a good guestimate of speed and fuel burn Beede , Passagemaker book # 1 is a good guide.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #32

Hi FF

The boat is 54 ft long with 1400 gallons of fuel tank , of course I will be adjust my speed as a function of the sea it is better for the engines and the consumption

thank you for your interrest

Stéphane
Old 06-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #33
Guru

Bug

Sounds like a Diesel Duck.

BTW, mining equipment diesels have four very different things as compared to marine engines. Propulsion, fuel, cooling and exhaust systems. These four account for probably 95% of marine motive power problems. Best to know the intricacies of differences, quickly too if you are planning a Transpac soon.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #34

Hi sunchaser

Yes of course here is many different , I'm talking about just for the rebuild , there is the same engine in intern...after yes we have different cooling and exhaust of course different engine temperature so different consumption etc....
You now , the torque in the mining engine to turn big hydraulic pump is as important like the propulsion as a boat....
can you tell me about the difference beetwen fuel in the mining engine and the marine engine? it's about the température or other?
the transpac is not for now , in first i must go to sea and check all the boat and engines , after we will see.....
I dont now in US but in france , we must have in board many parts for engine like new injector , fuel pipe , filters and many other parts if we want traveling in safe and i think it is normal it's a obligation....
If everyone can give me the safety list for a boat in A categroy in USA , I will be greatful because I think it is not the same in france

Thank you everybody
Stéphane
Old 06-28-2016, 09:20 AM   #35
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
I rebuid myself , I'm working many years on the mining gear , I'm working on many caterpilliar and cimmins engine and rebuild
Sorry Stéphane, I don't understand. If you have not yet purchased the boat, how could you have rebuilt it?

Or did I misunderstand your first post; "Cummins engine 12V of 1973 completely revised"?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #36
FF
Guru

"can you tell me about the difference beetwen fuel in the mining engine and the marine engine?"

The mining engine can easily be loaded by the amount of fluid it is asked to pump.

A boat engine using a propeller is very limited as to the amount of power it can be asked to put in the water , as it is RPM that changes the power absorbed.

Sure some custom built distance cruisers will have a (CPP, controlable pitch prop) but they are rare and expensive.

A 54 ft boat might have a 49 ft LWL so might cruise well if fairly narrow , and light at 8K in flat water.

Climbing hills (waves) takes more power , and power costs more fuel.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Sorry Stéphane, I don't understand. If you have not yet purchased the boat, how could you have rebuilt it?

Or did I misunderstand your first post; "Cummins engine 12V of 1973 completely revised"?

Hi Hawgwash
my first post asking if if the engine type (cummins) are capable to cruise durring 12/13 days without stop......completly revised BECAUSE if the boat are in good condition like the surveyor said , I buy the boat and I'm starting the rebuil BEFOR to go at home BECAUSE I never take the sea with unknow engines......sorry my english is bad and I dont know so mutch words to explain myself correctly.

Stéphane
Old 06-28-2016, 03:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"can you tell me about the difference beetwen fuel in the mining engine and the marine engine?"

The mining engine can easily be loaded by the amount of fluid it is asked to pump.

A boat engine using a propeller is very limited as to the amount of power it can be asked to put in the water , as it is RPM that changes the power absorbed.

Sure some custom built distance cruisers will have a (CPP, controlable pitch prop) but they are rare and expensive.

A 54 ft boat might have a 49 ft LWL so might cruise well if fairly narrow , and light at 8K in flat water.

Climbing hills (waves) takes more power , and power costs more fuel.
Thank you FF ,

i will asking to a friend to correctly translate your message but in think understand what you want to say.

thank you so mutch to everybody for your patience

Stéphane
Old 06-28-2016, 10:59 PM   #39
Guru

Bugster, did you think of buying in Australia, or New Zealand?
Sydney - Noumea is 1225 nautical miles, and for the boat shopping, Air Calamite flies Noumea - Sydney in 2.5 hours.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:13 PM   #40
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Bug- is that a V1710? And are there two on the boat? Ex-Coast Guard boat?

V1710 has a good reputation. If it survives a good shake-down run I would not go right into a rebuild, just heavy maintenance should get it right.

Neat engine: Basically two banks of the classic 855, but cylinder banks are at 40degrees... Not 90deg, not 60deg, Tight!! And exhaust is inside the cylinder banks. Nice design.

Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote