Velvet Drive Stopped Working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brentreed

Vessel Name
Twilite
Vessel Make
Marine Trader LaBelle
I just got 1983 Marine Trader LaBelle from my dad. Today I am having problems with the tranny on the Port side engine. I took her out and was moving about 5 knots when my wife came up to the fly bridge and said that the engine room was making weird noises. I had her take over and ran down to the engine room. The noise sounded like a sporadic clunking sound in the tranny. As it was running I pulled the tranny dip stick to see if I was out of fluid and it was not then the noise and shaft stopped turning. I limped her back to the docks on one prop. The engine runs but when I put it in to gear the shaft did not turn nor the coupler. I have removed the tranny forward/ revs value and started the engine up to see if I had any pressure (shade tree mechanic way). I did not get any tranny fluid pouring out of it. I also drained the tranny fluid and it looked clean for the most part. I am thinking that the pump went out, but not total sure of that. Any other ideas before I pull it out?

Last edited:
Probably stripped drive plate on engine flywheel. When it goes, tranny stops spinning. You can look in dipstick hole with engine idling, if fluid is splashing about, things are spinning. No splash, no spin.

To fix, slide tranny back from flywheel housing on engine.

I would get a pair dampers from PYI or someone else that carries the R&D brand plates. They are HD, don't rattle, and have a get-home feature that won't leave you dead in the water. The plate on the other engine can't be far behind.

I second giving Mike at Harbor marine a call. He's the best transmission guy, especially Velvet Drive that I know of anywhere on the planet. He's also a pretty good fisherman.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom