Old 07-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #21
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I hate to say it but now is the time to pull the shaft and cut it to the right length. It's nuts that you now can't pull the prop with the boat in the water because the shaft is slightly to long.

What about if you take the steering quadrant off the rudder post so you can turn the rudder a full 90 deg. to the prop. Will that get you enough room to pull the prop?
I tried that. Turning the rudder 90', no joy. I agree now is the time to make things right.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #22
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
I tried that. Turning the rudder 90', no joy. I agree now is the time to make things right.
Bummer. But better now than at a bad time later.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #23

City: Anacortes
Nicely done there! Whoop!

I hate to break it to you, but I don't think that crab pot is salvageable.

For the prop, I've had good luck with both Krueger and the Mukilteo Prop Shop (don't ask me whether its the prop shop or the prop shop, I can never remember). We are actually blessed in this area on having a number of good shops, all doing reputable work. Have not dealt with Northlake but have heard good things.

5200 is evil and those who use it for stuff like this should be stoned. Actually being Seattle, if they use it, they probably are stoned.

I'd pull and chop that shaft too, but do some rough measuring as it looks like you may also need to have the bow lowered a bit to get it out. Don't ask why I know to anticipate this.

I like to have this kind of stuff as easily serviceable as possible, best to get it sorted now. Things have a bad way of winding up in this condition when you are north of Nanaimo and its not quite so convenient to work on. I don't know why, but it seems to be the land of dinette table generator rebuilds and other similar adventures.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #24

City: Anacortes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Read the manual. These are obsolete and poorly built in many ways. Proper maintenance is the key.
Sorry, but I have to pick at this as the 71 series direct drive transmission is one of my favorites. I admit it. They are compact and have a shallow down angle.

Okay, so the Velvet Drive 70 series transmissions are "poorly built in many ways". Strange that in many ways I would agree, yet somehow I don't think much "information" is being conveyed to state it that way ignoring that with their simplicity they are in final analysis one of the most reliable units you can own.

I think to color this in a bit better, I would shade it like this...

The Velvet Drive 70 series transmissions are "poorly built in many ways", just as the Caterpillar 3208 is "poorly built in many ways". They are. Really. Both of them. Yet, I'd also go out of my way to find and buy a boat that had them. Both have a rather strong history of lasting and lasting. Both are reliable, even with their shortcomings. They are predictable and both are at the low end of the cost of maintaining, especially the VD.

BTW, if Mike is still up at Harbor Marine in Everett, he's about the best guy out there for Velvet Drive's and just happens to be in our back yards.

ghost is offline   Reply With Quote