Velvet Drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
When do you check the fluid in the transmission, when the unit is cold or after running and hot.

When do you check the fluid in the transmission, when the unit is cold or after running and hot.

There is a Velvet Drive operators manual in this Forums Library (Tab in the upper right corner of this page, manuals, page 2) which you can download and carry with you for your reference. Be sure and read page 13 in the manual about oil bleed down from the oil cooler.

Last edited:
There is a Velvet Drive operators manual in this Forums Library (Tab in the upper right corner of this page, manuals, page 2) which you can download and carry with you for your reference. Be sure and read page 13 in the manual about oil bleed down from the oil cooler.

Thanks for the reminder. That’s a good manual.

http://www.hyvair.com/pdf/hydraulicfluid.pdf

Looks to be around a 4 to 5% volume change over 100 degrees. So, for a simple rectangular container, that would be a 5% increase from the bottom of the pan (not the end of the dipstick).

Wouldn't it be closer to 10%? 4 quarts in transmission and reduction gear, with temp rising from 70F to 190F (temp range is 140-190)

I'm using a hydraulic fluid coefficient of volume change per degree figure of 0.0005 / deg.

Moved the decimal over two places (100 deg delta) to get .05. Convert to %, two more decimals. Now its 5% total volume change over temperature. Still not a dipstick change yet. I assumed a straight wall volume, so a 5% change in volume must equal a 5% change in height. A few assumptions made in there, but should be fairly close to a BW VD. Also, my VD never got too hot to place a hand on it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom