Valve Adjustment $$

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
Hi all,

Time for a valve lash adjustment on my twin CAT 3116's. Can anyone guesstimate what I should be looking at cost wise? Engines have 3,700 hours and run perfectly. This is preventive maintenance so should be straight forward. I don't have the confidence to tackle it myself. We are currently in Stuart, FL.

Thanks, Howard

Straight time, take all the stuff that's in the way, off, remove the valve covers, make sure the fuel shutoff is pulled, get a switch/push button for bumping over the engine, good set of go-no-go feeler gauges, a manual to tell you what the settings are, (hot or cold setting?) new gaskets for the valve covers and a pile of rags to soak up and mop up the oil. The second engine will take you 1/2 of what the first engine does.

Having typed all of that, I didn't answer your question! If you are worried about cost, strip the engines for the mechanic and put them together after. Watch him so that in a thousand hours or so, you can do it yourself.

Xsbank, thanks for the input. I hope someone can tell me an approximate price though.

I did it myself on a straight six with excellent engine access and it took me two hours. Half the time was spent getting the painted on valve cover off the first time.

If you also want the head bolts torqued which isn't a bad idea then it will take another hour or so as often the rocker arms have to come off.

And the above numbers will be near double for a V8.

David

I would call a coupe of local Cat dealers and ask how many hours the valve adjustment should take , and IF they have a mobile van that services boats.

For a good job Da Book is required as there will be the instructions for a better job.

Something like,,,, When the exhaust on cylinder 1 is fully open , adjust cylinder 5 .

This is a far better procedure than just cranking till you think the lifter is off all the cam including the take up ramp.

With Da Book anyone with car experience can do a workman like job.

You want a cat guy that has the tools to set the injectors, also. You do not need to set the injectors while doing valve lash, but you are already in there. Valve lash can be done with normal hand tools, injector set takes specialized tools that few have.

You want access over the top of engine, also access to the front so engine can be barred over. With good access, figure a total of a few hours billed for both.

I can do valve lash on one in under an hour, but total bill includes travel and getting access.

The front of some 3116's has a PITA belt guard and tach drive, it is in the way for barring over. Bumping with starter is not recommended to get positions. Dang near impossible without hitting it millions of times.

hmason,
On my former boat, (not CATs) my twin Cummins QSC 500 (in line 6 cylinder) valve lash, new zincs, new belts, a couple new hoses and a small oil leak repair was $1200 a couple years back. This also included genset valve lash and zincs too.

Ski: Do you enable the fuel shut off when you bar over an engine?

3116 governor is naturally at zero fuel when barring.

Other engines are in the run mode when barring, no issue there. You can set in zero fuel if you want.

Just watched a Youtube video on valve adjustment for a 3116 CAT. Its more complicated than a Cummins BT. It may be because the injector adjustments that went with it.

Back
Top Bottom