V8 Perkins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacMurray

Hi gang, anyone have any first hand experience/knowledge on the TV8-540M, Perkins, 320hp turbo V8? Around 1983, approximately 2500 hrs. Were they reliable, quiet or noisy, weaknesses, can you still get parts/where?
I couldn't find much on line about them so any info would be helpful, thanks ----M

You might give "TransAtlantic Diesel" here in the US a call....

Since Caterpillar bought Perkins a bunch of years ago I suggest you contact the Cat dealer near you. Cat made a decision to not support all of the Perkins models and I think this is one of them so parts may be hard to come by.

Injectors may be a problem. Maybe the injection pump can be worked , if need be, by Cat or a local shop but find out.

Also look up Boatdiesel.com. These engines have come up there and if you post you likely will get some good opinions. The consensus was they are tough to keep running if serious work is required. Hopefully the Cat guy, Dave, will reply. He may be terse but will give you a straight answer.

They are old designs and I believe parts are basically not available. Stuff like alternators, water pumps can likely be rebuilt but any of the engine parts you may have serious trouble with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom