Used Oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marinetrader

I am planning a trip out of the country aboard my boat and it occured to me about what to do with used engine oil while far from any marinas.* I remember reading long ago about a man that added his to his diesel and simply burned it as fuel.* I can't say that I can remember the details.

Does anyone know anymore about how this would work?

IT works , but destroys the engine , and is rotten for the enviroment adding metals.

Go on the Detroit Diesel site and see the damage , they have photos.

You probably aren't blessed with a DD but damage to a diesel is mostly the same

marinetrader wrote:

I am planning a trip out of the country aboard my boat and it occurred to me about what to do with used engine oil while far from any marinas.* I remember reading long ago about a man that added his to his diesel and simply burned it as fuel.* I can't say that I can remember the details.

Does anyone know anymore about how this would work?
We've never had a problem getting rid of waste oil outside the country.** Most Port Captains or Port Authorities will tell you where to take it.* They all have to change oil the same as us.* Some of the tempory storage facilities aren't pretty though.* We have only been charged once in*9 years and that was last fall.* We do have the capacity to carry one oil change worth of waste oil.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Huatulco, Oaxaca, MX*

marinetrader wrote:Does anyone know anymore about how this would work?
There is a lot of information available on this practice. Just Google "used lube oil blending diesel" and you will be delivered everything you want to know. This issue has been around for years so it is nothing new but modern testing and analysis techniques*have provided real answers rather than the shade tree stuff of the past.

DD specifically prohibits it but if your engine is not in warrany the sky probably won't fall down if you follow the practices referenced in the articles link below.

I think they come from fairly dependable sources but someone will surely argue otherwise.

<cite>www.dpw.heidelberg.army.mil/.../IMA_E_Clarus_Oil_Blending_Paper.doc</cite>

<cite>nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPURL.cgi?Dockey=30003H22.txt
</cite>
Sorry about the* weird way the links paste, you might have to cut and paste into the URL bar of your browser to connect.

I think a marine diesel engine costs far too much to try anything like this. I would find another solution.

I burned drain oil for a few months in my 1991 Dodge/Cummins pickup. I would add about 1 qt per week which would equate to about 1 qt in 20 gallons of diesel.
I was doing it for lubricity reasons. (my son has a waste oil furnace at his workplace so getting rid of old oil is easy for me)
I thought it made the exhaust a little smokeier than normal so I abandoned the practise.
I don't believe it did anything to the internals and I never had a problem with a filter clogging or anything like that.
I wouldn't adopt this as a standard practise however if I were in a tight spot it would not bother me to "salt in" a little waste oil. I don't think it would bother the old Lehman one bit.

I agree with all of you; sounds like a good idea but when I look at that crap I take out, I can'tt imagine mixing it with the fuel without some serious cleaning.

Thanks for the input..

I'm just thinking of the cost of injector pumps or injectors and thinking it's not worth it, either for trying to save fuel costs or just for disposal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom