Our 38 year old boat needed an update for the upper helm. Over the years previous owners had drilled and cut holes in the dash for various gadgets, plus it was time to update things again.
I used a piece of 3/4" Starboard for the base to cover up all the holes and to raise the new controls up off the dash to ensure no water intrusion. I then mounted our new single lever control (thanks Hopcar), new Garmin 840XS chartplotter, autopilot control, thruster joystick, and the Tiny-Tach. I still need to move the Temp and Oil Pressure gauge to their new location.
The sides of the enclosure are made of 3/8" Starboard and the top is smoke colored Lexan. I put three vents to insure it did not get too hot inside. We now have very good weather protection for the controls.
When we are underway the top fits nicely under the dash.