Old 07-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #1

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
Question Unusually clean Perkins

As I have been getting to know my new to me boat I noticed the lack of sludge and crud under the oil fill caps on my 2 Perkins 4.236 engines. I have had diesels before and I currently have 2 oil cars and I know that they can get dirty. These are vintage 1975s with a reported 3500 hours on them. I have put about 35 more hours on them since changing the oil this spring and it still looks amber. Do these really run that clean? Do you think someone had the covers off and cleaned up in there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Perkins.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	11884  

Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Wimauma, FL
I have the same engine with only 1500 hrs on it in Tortuga. The oil remains amber, too. I had 6.354's in my last boat and that oil always turned black almost immediately. Those engines only had 2200 hrs. on them.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
How is the oil removed from the oil pan?

It is usually the sludge in the bottom of the pan that turns the oil black. It is from incomplete removal of all the old oil.

On my engine the old oil is removed from a hose and a ball valve on the bottom of the oil pan as you would a car.
Sometimes the dipstick tube oil removal doesn't get it all out.

SD
Old 07-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #4

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
Not sure how the PO did it but I use the dipstick method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
How is the oil removed from the oil pan?

It is usually the sludge in the bottom of the pan that turns the oil black. It is from incomplete removal of all the old oil.

On my engine the old oil is removed from a hose and a ball valve on the bottom of the oil pan as you would a car.
Sometimes the dipstick tube oil removal doesn't get it all out.

SD
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Wimauma, FL
Yes, I will add that like Skipperdude, the oil in my engine is removed from the pan via a hose on the bottom of the pan and gets all the oil from the engine. However, this was also the setup on my 6.354's but due to the angle of the engine, not all of the old oil was removed. Seems on that engine installation the drain plugs were at the front of the pan as opposed to the rear.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Santa Barbara, California
Vessel Name: Fleur De Lys
Vessel Model: 1988 Nova 36 Sundeck
My 25 year old Volvo TMD41As with 1600 hours on them are clean like that inside. Their oil while not amber is cleaner than the oil in my ford truck 7.3L diesel ever was, even 10 min running after the oil change. I think some marine engines run cleaner becasue they run a constant even load at the proper temperature. Road diesels see quite a varrying load and produce a good bit of soot because of it.
Third-Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #7
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Do these really run that clean?
That photo looks pretty much like what I see on our two 1973 FL120s, a bit under 3,000 hours each. But the oil that comes out of the sump when I change it is black. We run Delo 400 30wt and change it every 100-150 hours.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfstar 36 View Post
As I have been getting to know my new to me boat I noticed the lack of sludge and crud under the oil fill caps on my 2 Perkins 4.236 engines. I have had diesels before and I currently have 2 oil cars and I know that they can get dirty. These are vintage 1975s with a reported 3500 hours on them. I have put about 35 more hours on them since changing the oil this spring and it still looks amber. Do these really run that clean? Do you think someone had the covers off and cleaned up in there?
--------------------------------
Yes, I pull the valve covers every spring and check the valve lash on my 1976 twin 6.354's and they are clean just like that. My oil turns black usually after 3 or 4 hours of running at speed. Looks bad but the Perkins people said that is carbon from combustion of the fuel and normal for the engine.
Larry B

Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote