Old 03-27-2016, 06:15 AM   #161
FF
Guru

"I had my first diesel, and old-time 6-71,
The log showed that the previous owner ran at slow speeds also, and that engine always blew light smoke.
Never cleared up in the years that I owned it"

If it was old enough ,,WWII to late 1950's it probably had H style injectors , not the more "modern" N style.

These always smoked a bit from idle to red line .

No cause for alarm .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:49 AM   #162
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
This is beginning to rival an anchor thread. We've yet to hear from an actual M/V owner whose propulsion engine was all glazed up due to chronic under loading. Would this seemingly rare and unique individual please come forth and state your sad story?

Some good has come from discussion of Steve's article - prop right, maintain properly, insure engine temperatures are in the desired range, monitor smoking and run the RPMs up from time to time to assess health. Just like the doctor said ---.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #163
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ski,
OK good .. the blower on a DD blows the air into a chamber that sourrounds the cylinders .. separate from the crankcase. My two stroke MC past led me astray. So it seems just the turbo DD's have a low speed problem .. interesting.

Tom,
Your first paragraph sounds like a witch hunt but some things need repeating.

Tom I like your second paragraph. What is the desired range for lube oil temps? I remember hearing 180F a lot and I think 160. Is 160 high enough to prevent varnish buildup in the rings? This I would think would be a call for the oil people and specifically not the engine people unless they are passing on info from oil people. The range would probably be specific to oil grades. But the engine people would need to give out information that would fly for most all lube oils. Or perhaps listing a specific grade would cover their tails. I wonder how much the oils would vary in their temp requirements?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:01 PM   #164
FF
Guru

I ran a small yard , back when 4-107 and Volvo MD 2 or 3 were common for sail propulsion 25 -35 hp or so..

The few folks that headed south every winter replaced their engines far later than the usual summer sailor.

These good folks would take the LIRR and a bus to get to the boat yard,
They would row out and start the engine to make electric for a DC refrigeration unit.

They would row ashore , have dinner and visit the grocery and bring out the provisions for the weekend.After 4 or 5 hours of ideling the converted ice box would be cool enough to go till the next day.

Most of these were far smaller than a propulsion engine in a modern "trawler" .

They didn't die from overwork!

Those that wish to understand underloading should contact National Fisherman , they had a great 2 part article about 15 years ago.

Usually 600HP ish engine running refrigeration or hyd at night using 40-50HP for hours on end.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #165
Guru

FF I love the comments about the "good folks" .. taking the buss and the LIRR (some kind of train?) and then rowing out sounds like something we all should do for a season for ..... scope.

That's what Willy had when we bought her .. a 4-107. Was hard starting and old. No glow plugs. Didn't see that as a good thing in Alaska so we repowered. Willard installed an engine giving 36hp and we repowered w a 37hp engine. Took me quite awhile to conclude Willard got it right unlike most all others re the amount of power installed. Later they did the over power too.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:09 PM   #166
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
HaHa ..
So Baker you think we've droned on and on about underloading enough?
Actually I don't. I think this has been a good thread with a lot of good information. And it does add some understanding to an age old "myth"...for lack of a better word. For those running the old Lehmans and Perkins type of engines, I really don't think they are running them underloaded. I would say the vast majority of folks likely run them around 1800RPMs. And that is a good enough load. I personally don't have to worry as I run my engines at about 70%(ish) of power. Probably less since I am fairly underpropped. I have no soot and pretty much no smoke of any kind once the engines are warmed up. They smoke like crazy on start up in the cold but run as clean as anything I have seen while warmed up.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:45 PM   #167
Guru

Two big thumbs up John!

Old 03-28-2016, 06:38 AM   #168
FF
Guru

"FF I love the comments about the "good folks" .. taking the buss and the LIRR (some kind of train?)"

Customers are always good folks. Many New York folks do not have an auto.

Just off street parking can be $200-$300+ per month , inside even more,
so most will use publik transportation like the underground electric sewer , or rent a car as needed.

LIRR = Long Island Rail Road.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:45 AM   #169
Guru

FF,
Known many Juneau people that didn't have cars either.
Walkers and cabs. Very steep hills too.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #170
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
DHays, 3 pencil zincs for that engine, cheap! Might need to shorten generic zinc, that goes into heat exchanger about 1/4 inch.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #171
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
DHays, 3 pencil zincs for that engine, cheap! Might need to shorten generic zinc, that goes into heat exchanger about 1/4 inch.
Thanks Rebel. Survey is Wednesday.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote