Old 10-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

RE: Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel - Anything to worry about????

When ULSD first came out, we in the diesel motor home community encountered seepage problems with gaskets and fuel lines in older engines/fuel systems, roughly pre- 2003. Cummins had problems with the diaphram in the lift pump and initially they sold a replacement diaphram but soon switched over to replacing the whole pump. I was fortunate in that my '02 Cummins ISL did not develop any problems. All of the common RV engine manufaturers - Cat, Cummins, Detroit, saw some seepage problems. I would be very surprised if ULSD did not do the same with marine fuel systems and engines.

Gary

VAtrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #22

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065

Quote:
VAtrawlerguy wrote:
When ULSD first came out, we in the diesel motor home community encountered seepage problems with gaskets and fuel lines in older engines/fuel systems, roughly pre- 2003. Cummins had problems with the diaphram in the lift pump and initially they sold a replacement diaphram but soon switched over to replacing the whole pump. I was fortunate in that my '02 Cummins ISL did not develop any problems. All of the common RV engine manufaturers - Cat, Cummins, Detroit, saw some seepage problems. I would be very surprised if ULSD did not do the same with marine fuel systems and engines.

Gary

FWIW, neither my 1998 Cummins ISB truck engine nor my 1997 Volvo KAD44P boat engine has ever had the slightest problem with ULSD.

RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
FWIW, neither my 1998 Cummins ISB truck engine nor my 1997 Volvo KAD44P boat engine has ever had the slightest problem with ULSD.
*Neither did my 1991 Dodge/Cummins pickup. It only suffered from old age.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #24
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

When we got ULSD a few years ago now my old FIAT 8210 fuel p/p started to leak fuel all over the place .
It was opertune in that it was time for the pump to get a good service , so all gaskets, O rings etc were replaced.

Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote