Two filters for main and genset, same feed line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
For ease of plumbing I would like to have the Racor 500 for my main engine and the Racor 230 for my gen set both fed using a 'T' fitting from the fuel line feed from the tank. Do I have any problems with fuel being pulled back when I'm running the main but not the gen? Do I need a check valve?

I closed down down the main 671 engine return so it does can not suck the gen set dry. Check valves leak so the main engine can still suck the gen dry. I run all the fuel through one double Racor 1000 filters off a manifold so I can also opne/shut the valve as needed.

Why have two filters when one big filter before the T will do?

Last edited:
I think mine is plumbed like that if I am interpreting what you are saying correctly.
The T on the left just above the large Racor goes to the genset. The Racor i the first stage filter for the main engine. There are no check valves.

Attachments

• fuel system (768 x 512).jpg
    fuel system (768 x 512).jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I aggree I do not see the value in feeding the main and genny thru seperate primary filters. I have two Racor 500's one for each tank. The genny is fed from a T downstream from the port tank. I can, with a manifold feed either main or return from either main engine to either tank. The genny can only be fed from the port tank, but the fuel useage is fairly negligible. To make up the difference, I can return both mains to the port tank, but seldom do.

Do I need a check valve?

If you have the 230 with the priming pump it already has a check valve. That is how fuel is prevented from being pumped back to the inlet when priming.

For ease of plumbing I would like to have the Racor 500 for my main engine and the Racor 230 for my gen set both fed using a 'T' fitting from the fuel line feed from the tank. Do I have any problems with fuel being pulled back when I'm running the main but not the gen? Do I need a check valve?
_

That is what I have and it has worked flawlessly for at least 20 years.

Since I have two Racor 500's and a Racor 200, how does this look for a setup? I'll have the ability to switch between the two 500's and the 200 will be a common filter prior to feeding the Lehman and genset.

Attachments

• Racor filter system.jpg
    Racor filter system.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 92
That is what I have and it has worked flawlessly for at least 20 years.[/QUOTE]

It's a beautiful world when people do things the way they want it done.

Is the smaller RACOR your secondary filter for both main & Genset???

Either way I would not do it that way. Most advice is NOT to run several devices just off a "TEE".... a larger manifold yes...but usually before the filters.

I'm not sure if this setup could create a suction problem based on the size of your lines.

The fuel pump should be after the fiters so its protected

I forgot the racor filter have a one way as fuel can only flow one way. However I would still have ball valves.

I forgot the racor filter have a one way as fuel can only flow one way. However I would still have ball valves.

You still want a filter after the pump in case it has a problem so it doesn't comtaminate the injection pump (that's what the secondary filter does)

The original final filters are still on the engines. I have the electric pump in that position so I can pre-fill the filters at change time.

Since I have two Racor 500's and a Racor 200, how does this look for a setup? I'll have the ability to switch between the two 500's and the 200 will be a common filter prior to feeding the Lehman and genset.

psneed is right. Ts can restrict flow causing possible injector pump, injector wear due to fuel starvation. Not gonna cause rapid wear but remember fuel flow also cools and lubricates. To take a few minutes and make yourself a manafold will help insure all engines receive max fuel.

Put a 3 way valve at the fuel pump. When not in use, fuel is not going through it so it dosen't need to be protected.

Sometimes one "big" filter does not work all that well.

Some filters are just cylinders of media.Old Fram style.Fine at any flow rate.

The more modern units like Raycor, Dahl and many others use the fluid flow to help separate and coalesce the water into droplets.

While a "big" filter will still work with a tiny thruput , it is not as efficient , no fuel velocity..

Fuel pumps are after the filters so they do not emulsify the mix and make the water far harder to catch . Think mayonaise .

The more modern units like Raycor, Dahl and many others use the fluid flow to help separate and coalesce the water into droplets.

While a "big" filter will still work with a tiny thruput , it is not as efficient , no fuel velocity..

Fuel pumps are after the filters so they do not emulsify the mix and make the water far harder to catch . Think mayonaise .

Makes sense. Seems to me that modern diesels also have a filter after the fuel pump and before the high presure fuel pump. On my truck there is a small filter at the tank then a larger filter on the engine before the HPFP. I wondered about the small size but maybe its sized that way for the reason you stated above. Maybe bigger is not really better.

My mains have Dahl filter + water trap & the Westerbeke has a big old fram. I've thought about changing it to a Dahl to simplify the stock of spares. Now I think I'll keep what I have. All the diesels I've seen the supply pump pulls fuel thru the primaries & push it thru the secondary filters.

My mains have Dahl filter + water trap & the Westerbeke has a big old fram. I've thought about changing it to a Dahl to simplify the stock of spares. Now I think I'll keep what I have. All the diesels I've seen the supply pump pulls fuel thru the primaries & push it thru the secondary filters.

while the injector pump pulls. yep

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom