Old 11-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #41
Veteran Member

City: St Augustine
Vessel Model: Mainship390
RE: Twin engines easier around the dock in a blow?

"a finger float on one side and another boat or slip on the other"

Try when the boat next door is a 2 million sportfish who's flaired sides are right at bowrail height. And the finger pier is only 20' long so no bow in. Then add 20 knots blowing blowing across the bow. Single handed.

I went to the fuel dock instead, told them I'll move it in the morning.

millennium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #42
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Per wrote:
the guys going into a slip with momentum and then reversing to avoid a crash will sooner or later run into the slip and with momentum it will make more than dents.
Depends on how what you consider momentum.** It's all a matter of judgement. You need to keep way on to mainain rudder authority, but you want to be almost stopped when you reach the point where you're next to your finger as far into the slip as you want to go.* It takes a good feel for the decelereation rate of your boat plus knowing how the particular*current or wind or both that you have to deal with affects your steerage and deceleration.

We turn toward our slip at idle speed (a bit over 3 knots) at which point we have great rudder authority.* But we know the deceleration rate of our boat when we shift to neutral so it's all a matter of judgement and timing to bring the boat alongside the finger all the way into the slip just as the boat comes to a stop.* And we use differential thrust or offset thrust to move the stern or, do a degree, the bow as we slide in to put the boat against the finger.

It's one of those things you can't describe in words, you just have to do it and learn the sight picture and the characteristics of your boat.

In many ways it's exactly like docking a floatplane although the boat is much easier because you have big water rudders, reverse, and*in our case differential thrust.* In the floatplane it's ALL judgement because you shut the engine down some distance from the dock and let your momentum carry you in.* And because floatplanes are so easy to damage you have to arrive at the dock just as the plane is driting to a stop.* Not so hard in calm conditions, but it can get tricky with a contrary wind or current or if there is only a small space at the dock between planes.* I find docking the boat is the same only I have a few more aids at my disposal.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:45 AM   #43
FF
Guru

Always the best solution for stoopid docking conditions!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #44
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Quote:
FF wrote:

Always the best solution for stoopid docking conditions!
*A nice service that our Port office will do, is help you dock if*conditions are bad or you are single handing it.**Give them a call 10 minutes in advance and they will meet you at your slip to catch a line.* Getting that stern line to the dock and using your engines properly gets you to the dock in the worse conditions.
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #45
Veteran Member

City: St Augustine
Vessel Model: Mainship390

Do you guys with twins ever put the helm hard over away from the wind so the downwind engine in forward will kick the stern into the wind?

I have tried this, doesn't do much with my boat. Rudders probably to small.
millennium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #46
Per
Guru

Quote:
millennium wrote:
Do you guys with twins ever put the helm hard over away from the wind so the downwind engine in forward will kick the stern into the wind?

I have tried this, doesn't do much with my boat. Rudders probably to small.
*are you describing a crosswind? windblowing across.

i wonder what has better steering effect, using the downwind engine with rudder full (or as needed) away from the wind or the rudder into the wind and forward on the upwind engine ?

i am guessing the first one, considering the prop will throw the wash thru the rudder. though possible these two forces just more of less cancel each other out?
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #47
Per
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:Per wrote:
the guys going into a slip with momentum and then reversing to avoid a crash will sooner or later run into the slip and with momentum it will make more than dents.
Depends on how what you consider momentum.** It's all a matter of judgement. You need to keep way on to mainain rudder authority, but you want to be almost stopped when you reach the point where you're next to your finger as far into the slip as you want to go.* It takes a good feel for the decelereation rate of your boat plus knowing how the particular*current or wind or both that you have to deal with affects your steerage and deceleration.

We turn toward our slip at idle speed (a bit over 3 knots) at which point we have great rudder authority.* But we know the deceleration rate of our boat when we shift to neutral so it's all a matter of judgement and timing to bring the boat alongside the finger all the way into the slip just as the boat comes to a stop.* And we use differential thrust or offset thrust to move the stern or, do a degree, the bow as we slide in to put the boat against the finger.

It's one of those things you can't describe in words, you just have to do it and learn the sight picture and the characteristics of your boat.

*sounds nice, i dont have a lot of rudder response at idle and i definitively dont want to go faster into the slip so its critical for me to learn the twin steering techniques.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #48
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

I'm with you Per.* You don't want to come in with too much speed or none at all, but*just enough to keep steerage.*

With my boat and on a starboard side*dock, I've found that the wind or tide tends to push the bow out quickly, so I don't come in parallel with the slip.* I usually push the bow in so the boat is at a slight angle to the dock.* Both engines in neutral and as the boat reaches the outer piling put the port engine in reverse which slows the boat and slowly pushes*the bow away from the dock and the stern in.**I don't usually use the rudders once I'm in that close.* You can then use a combination of forward - reverse and maybe a little more*or less RPM if necessary to walk the boat in tight.* It's kind of fun once you get the hang of it.

But you lose your touch*quickly without frequent use.* Every Spring when we start using the boat more.* I have to practice a few landings just to get the feel for it back.

Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote