Old 06-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Mooncusser
Vessel Model: Rosborough RF28
TruFuel for Dinghy Outboard

Ethanol-Free 4-Cycle Fuel | Gas for 4-Cycle Engines | TruFuel

I am thinking of using this in a small 4 stroke outboard. Has anyone tried this? It's pricey, but I'm tired of cleaning carbs and my dinghy spends most of it's life making quick trips to the beach or hanging in the davits for months on end.

pukeanddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Pay the piper and be a slave to buying the stuff or just run your outboard dry or drain the carb after uses that will result in more than a couple days of inactivity.

Neither really takes that long once you get in the habit.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Do the marinas in your area not sell non-Ethanol gas?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:08 AM   #4
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
You could do what I did, buy a propane powered outboard.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:11 AM   #5
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukeanddie View Post
Ethanol-Free 4-Cycle Fuel | Gas for 4-Cycle Engines | TruFuel

I am thinking of using this in a small 4 stroke outboard. Has anyone tried this? It's pricey, but I'm tired of cleaning carbs and my dinghy spends most of it's life making quick trips to the beach or hanging in the davits for months on end.
Buy av gas at the local small airport.. about $6/7 gal, 100 octane, no ethanol
Way cheaper and the outboard will love it.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:16 AM   #6
Guru

I'm still confused. Almost all the marinas I've been to sell ethanol free gas in the $3.60 to $4 range. Typically about a dollar more than it would cost with ethanol. That's the only way most marinas sell gas.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:05 AM   #7
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Do the marinas in your area not sell non-Ethanol gas?

Dunno about Boston, but they don't around here.

-Chris
Old 06-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Dunno about Boston, but they don't around here.

-Chris
That's one of those strange MD laws. On the Eastern shore (Delmarva) we have ethanol free fuel most everywhere. Apparently, they can't sell it on the Western shore. Go to Ocean City and 92 octane ethol free is sold at the dock.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #9
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
You've probably heard all the stuff about miracle additives yada yada yada....
I've always been a skeptic.....Until I tried this stuff. I've let engines sit a year without draining and they often start on the first or second pull... Buy the big bottle and treat your dinghy fuel can with an ounce or two. You'll end up using it in everything...

http://www.amazon.com/Mechanic-in-a-...ic+in+a+bottle
Old 06-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #10
Guru

Apparently these are the counties where reformulated gas is mandated. Certain counties in CA, CT, DE, DC, IL, IN, MD, NJ, NY, PA, TX, VA, and WI.

RFG Areas | Fuels and Fuels Addtives | US EPA

I had no idea as we don't have the issue in FL, nor anywhere on the east coast south of VA. And yesterday we fueled out Ribs twice but in Ocean City MD where it's not a problem.

A huge suggestion to Active Captain and Waterway Guide. Specify Ethanol vs. Ethanol Free. You mention ethanol free in some cases but it needs to be as much separated as Diesel is from Gas.

Here is a site of ethanol free stations.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Obviously the aviation fuel suggestion works if you can get it.

Then there are the various treatments that I know nothing about having not realized this was such an issue until last night.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #11

City: louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Buy av gas at the local small airport.. about $6/7 gal, 100 octane, no ethanol
Way cheaper and the outboard will love it.
HOLLYWOOD
With all due respect to Hwood, I would avoid Avgas. With regular use you will have a buildup of lead oxides in your cylinder head and likely foul spark plugs prematurely. The "100 Octane" sound good emotionally but high octane fuel is an advantage only in high compression engines. You are going to have less efficiency in a lower compression engine. You should run the lowest octane fuel that will run without detonation (pinging/knocking). The extra money spent on Avgas is wasted...other than the fact that it will be ethanol free. In the swamplands around my neck of the woods there are many small service stations that carry non-ethanol motor fuels. There is a website that locates such stations across the US...cannot recall the name but a google search for non-ethanol fuel will likely pull up a few search apps.

edit- pm me for the website...unless administators clear me to post the name/link for the pure gas locator site.

Uhhh...did not read B's post completely as his link is the site I used to find fuel for my outboard boats.
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Mooncusser
Vessel Model: Rosborough RF28
Quote:
I'm still confused. Almost all the marinas I've been to sell ethanol free gas in the $3.60 to $4 range. Typically about a dollar more than it would cost with ethanol. That's the only way most marinas sell gas.
Not in MA. Impossible to buy Ethanol from a pump. A few places sell pails of high octane racing fuel.
pukeanddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #13

City: louisiana
"A few places sell pails of high octane racing fuel."

Many racing fuel formulations employ ethanol as an oxygenating agent. I would add a fuel stabilizer designed for ethanol blends to your local pump gas and call it a day. I try to use ethanol free fuel in my outboard but sometimes it is not practical and just add stabilizer. No fuel related issues in 900 hr.s on a pair of Merc 225 optimax and 925 hr on a Yamadog 250.
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukeanddie View Post
Not in MA. Impossible to buy Ethanol from a pump. A few places sell pails of high octane racing fuel.
Brewer doesn't even have non ethanol?

We're fortunate in that our Weber engines in our RIB's are ok with ethanol up to 15%. Now we still prefer non-ethanol and we get 91 octane or higher when available. The only outboards we own never leave Florida.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #15

City: Gainesville, FL
rardoin is absolutely correct. AvGas is blended for large-bore, long-stroke, low RPM engines which run at high altitude. Its sale is also supposed to be limited to airplanes. Research the octane that your outboard manufacturer recommends for your motor (generally 87-90) and that's all you need. More octane only slows down the flame front and prevents early, compression ignition (detonation.) We had a saying in racing: "Enough octane is enough octane."
Old 06-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #16
Guru

And my stock answer. What does your outboard motor manufacturer say to do? I'd go to their pages and do what they say. Here's what Yamaha says:

Yamaha Offers Help with Ethanol Fuels | Yamaha Outboards
Old 06-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #17
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Yup Av gas is not good. Some guys tried that on ultralights. Lots and lots of soot. Very dirty running.

If you want small bottles of good gas mix up a few gallons of reg gas w Stabil in the mix.

What I'd like for my little Yamadog 2hp is a bottle (bottles) that works like those things the mechs use on batteries to top off electrolyte. The fluid stops draining down when the fluid level in what you're filling reaches the end of the nozzle of your dispenser. It's hard for me to pour fuel into the top of the little 2hp w/o spilling and in this case it goes directly into the water.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:17 PM   #18
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post

What I'd like for my little Yamadog 2hp is a bottle (bottles) that works like those things the mechs use on batteries to top off electrolyte. The fluid stops draining down when the fluid level in what you're filling reaches the end of the nozzle of your dispenser. It's hard for me to pour fuel into the top of the little 2hp w/o spilling and in this case it goes directly into the water.
Try this...
Haven't spilled a drop since I bought it!

Amazon.com: No-Spill 1405 2-1/2-Gallon Poly Gas Can (CARB Compliant): Patio, Lawn & Garden

Old 06-26-2015, 10:32 PM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Steve,
That's great but may be too big for what I described above. Of course I could just put a gallon or so in it. It's a long reach in the big canoe back to the aft end of the little two horse where the filler is. We should get one just for all the lawnmowers and related stuff at home. I most often pour the gas for Chris. But she likes to do things herself.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:36 AM   #20
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Brewer doesn't even have non ethanol?

We're fortunate in that our Weber engines in our RIB's are ok with ethanol up to 15%. Now we still prefer non-ethanol and we get 91 octane or higher when available. The only outboards we own never leave Florida.

The website that shows non-ethanol suppliers used to list several near here, but they were outdated listing. One "gas station" had been turned into a fast food, for example. (There's probably a pun in there somewhere, just waiting to get out!)

My experience with ethanol -- FWIW -- is that as long as the engine is rated for it, it's only a problem if I don't use the engine often enough. And of course our dinghy only gets sporadic use. Hence the parts about running the carbs dry after each use, etc. as mitigating approach. Usually, I'd let gas (with ethanol) sit no longer than 3 weeks, and after that it's likely toast. Works in cars, not in small one-cylinder 2-strokes, so it gets recycled.

Additives never seemed to do any good. Tried many, no change in results; the ethanol gas is suspect after 2 weeks non-use, likely toast after 3.

OTOH, on longer vacations, lots o' gallons go through fine. Letting it sit unused seemed to be the culprit, in our case.

All of that is especially true with small lawn things, like leaf blowers and so forth. (A 32V battery-powered blower is working better than a small gas blower ever did.)

Last year we got a new 15-hp 4-stroke 2-cylinder fuel injected outboard, and so far haven't had as much of a problem... possibly due to the closed system. OTOH, I don't have enough time with it yet to fully evaluate... so I can only say "It's promising. Maybe."

-Chris