Old 06-27-2015, 07:25 AM   #21
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Steve,
That's great but may be too big for what I described above. Of course I could just put a gallon or so in it. It's a long reach in the big canoe back to the aft end of the little two horse where the filler is. We should get one just for all the lawnmowers and related stuff at home. I most often pour the gas for Chris. But she likes to do things herself.
Try the 1.25 gallon size:
http://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-1415-...3D95FHCNMXXNCQ
Old 06-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
The website that shows non-ethanol suppliers used to list several near here, but they were outdated listing. One "gas station" had been turned into a fast food, for example. (There's probably a pun in there somewhere, just waiting to get out!)

My experience with ethanol -- FWIW -- is that as long as the engine is rated for it, it's only a problem if I don't use the engine often enough. And of course our dinghy only gets sporadic use. Hence the parts about running the carbs dry after each use, etc. as mitigating approach. Usually, I'd let gas (with ethanol) sit no longer than 3 weeks, and after that it's likely toast. Works in cars, not in small one-cylinder 2-strokes, so it gets recycled.

Additives never seemed to do any good. Tried many, no change in results; the ethanol gas is suspect after 2 weeks non-use, likely toast after 3.

OTOH, on longer vacations, lots o' gallons go through fine. Letting it sit unused seemed to be the culprit, in our case.

All of that is especially true with small lawn things, like leaf blowers and so forth. (A 32V battery-powered blower is working better than a small gas blower ever did.)

Last year we got a new 15-hp 4-stroke 2-cylinder fuel injected outboard, and so far haven't had as much of a problem... possibly due to the closed system. OTOH, I don't have enough time with it yet to fully evaluate... so I can only say "It's promising. Maybe."

-Chris
Each outboard manufacturer is well aware of the ethanol issues and they have made recommendations of how to maintain and run with E10. I really feel if one follows those recommendations they will have minimal issues. I simply say listen to the engine manufacturer and what they say for your engine model and age. Most of them today see little issue with 91 octane or higher E10. They also do have guidelines for gas sitting any period of time. They also recommend the additives to use if needed. There's no need beyond that to panic or chase around searching for other solutions if a non-ethanol provider isn't handy.

Well, we're lucky at home that there is virtually no ethanol on the water. We were also lucky to have just been in Ocean City which has no ethanol. But our RIB's have Weber engines and if we need to fuel with E10, we'll just make sure per the manufacturer to use 91 octane or higher and recognize we may get slightly poorer "mileage".
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #23
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
To the original question. Here in NJ only ethanol gas is sold. After gumming up the injectors a few times I tried the cans you found. Works great, but the price wasn't worth it. Easier to pull the fuel line and run the engine dry.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:02 AM   #24
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Each outboard manufacturer is well aware of the ethanol issues and they have made recommendations of how to maintain and run with E10. I really feel if one follows those recommendations they will have minimal issues. I simply say listen to the engine manufacturer and what they say for your engine model and age. Most of them today see little issue with 91 octane or higher E10. They also do have guidelines for gas sitting any period of time. They also recommend the additives to use if needed.

Yep, got all that. The motor was certified for E-10. Memorized the 5-hp/2-stroke manual, followed meticulously. No joy.

Didn't seem to be a problem with the engine; just the fuel breaks down too quickly when it sits unused in our environment. And I think low HP 1-cylinder motors can't really power through any water build-up. And BTW, the straight ethanol layer will really race an engine!

Faster "recycling" worked easily enough, though. And an external fuel-water separator would likely help, too... although in the meantime, faster "recycling" was, in effect, a manual fuel-water separation.

That's high on my list of installs, though, once I improve the way the battery and the fuel tank (for this new 4-stroke) sits in the dinghy.

-Chris
Old 06-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #25
Guru

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Down south here we have a lot of ValveTech fuel. Most everyone thinks it's none ethanol fuel. It does not say on the pump anywhere what it is. If you go to their website and dig deep enough you will find its E10 with lots of additives.

If it does not say Non-Ethanol on the pump or the marina does not post a sign that says their fuels are Ethanol free it's got Ethanol in it.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote