Trouble with FB gear selector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Per

Guru
Sometimes when on the FB I have trouble getting in gear.

Seems the "Morse" control cable need to be adjusted.

My mechanic says the FB control is conected to the PH control (from where i have no problems getting in gear)

Anyone have experience with this?

thanks,

Per,* On the end of the cable is a treaded section, mine has a fitting that attaches to the control with a carter pin.

If you remove the pin and separate the cable from the control you can wind the fitting out on the treads a bit, this might give it just enough more movement to assure you can engage the transmission from the bridge.

The fitting has a lock nut to set it once it is right.

I found this all out because one of my cables rusted out at the bottom of a loop behind the lower helm. It still worked but was held on by a thread. I had to put in a new one and adjust it.

Good Luck* JohnP

Thats good news John, thanks for the info..

I had the same exact problem with my FB gear shift.* Finally figured it out and now it shifts as smoothly as the PH gear lever.

Turns out, there was a slight "bend" in the cable right where it attaches to the tranny.* The cable bend was working against the sheathing, making it hard to go in and out.* I simply straighted out the slight bend in the cable and now it works fine.

Taras

update:

i was on the water saturday before 4th july and trying to anchor up but the boat kept swinging around.
finally figured out the port engine was in forward even though i had it in neutral and in reverse.
once i figured it out, i cut the port engine and could anchor and later go home on one engine.
the cable from PH control to tranny is broken, mechanic putting in a new one today.

-- Edited by Per on Thursday 7th of July 2011 02:20:34 PM

Back
Top Bottom