Trolling motor battery question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jleonard

Guru
I got a free boat to use on the little pond that is behind our house. It's a 9 foot "2 man bass boat". Cat style hull, weighs about 100 lbs. Pics below.
A friend gave me an old trolling motor and the only readable thing on it is "30" which I assume it means 30 lbs thrust.
I'd like to get about 20 to 30 minutes of use between charges so the grandkids can put around this little pond (in reality they'll probably be bored aft 10 minutes LOL).
I want to use a small light battery.
I am thinking a motor cycle or lawn tractor battery would suffice, but since I have zero experience using a trolling motor I need some guidance from those who have some.
I don't care if it's deep cycle or not it will never get used enough to justify expensive.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1648.jpg
    IMG_1648.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1646.jpg
    IMG_1646.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 30
If you have a DC amp meter, hook it up to any 12V battery. Run the trolling motor.
Now you will know...

I think a 30 # thrust MinnKota draws 25 amps full tilt. A better choice might be visiting your local county recycle center and picking up a used core for $10. Take your DVM. Any marine deep cycle in the pile that has at least 12.3V and not leaking will suit your needs. There are good batteries discarded every day.
Also a sealed maint free with a handle would work too for that matter.

Last edited:
I have the same motor. A regular car size deep cycle runs our 12 ft flat back canoe all day at medium to low speed. Any old deep cycle should give them an hour our two. Back up with a pair of paddles!

I was looking on Amazon the other day for a smallish AGM battery. I found this one at 35 Ahs that might work for you- https://www.amazon.com/Weize-Rechar...y&qid=1577546302&sprefix=agm+,aps,387&sr=8-12

Definitely go with an AGM. You don't want the kids kicking it over, spilling acid and possibly hurting themselves. Also I don't think that there is much difference between deep cycle and starting batteries with an AGM.

At 25 amp WOT draw, 30 minutes of use will be well below the 50% depth of discharge recommendation.

David

I’ve done a lot of back country exploring and fishing with a Minn Kota 30 on a canoe and a board boat. I used two batteries similar to the one recommended by DavidM. I had a small digital voltmeter mounted on the battery box. I’d go out on one battery and when it died, I’d switch to the second battery and head home.

Your grandkids will have a ball with that boat! You might get some fun out of it too.

A "free" boat named PATCHES. LOL :eek::D

Yes. All the white you see are patches. I made this name and I think its very appropriate. 3 quarts of poly resin by the way plus lots of 1 1/5 ounce mat.
Plus more on the bottom you don't see LOL

I was looking on Amazon the other day for a smallish AGM battery. I found this one at 35 Ahs that might work for you- https://www.amazon.com/Weize-Rechar...y&qid=1577546302&sprefix=agm+,aps,387&sr=8-12

Definitely go with an AGM. You don't want the kids kicking it over, spilling acid and possibly hurting themselves. Also I don't think that there is much difference between deep cycle and starting batteries with an AGM.

At 25 amp WOT draw, 30 minutes of use will be well below the 50% depth of discharge recommendation.

David

I was looking at that battery and thought it might work for Patches needs.
Before the kids get here Deb and I will test it on a cocktail cruise around the pond. We might have to drink fast cause it might be only a 5 minute cruise....a 5 minute cruise. (I'll take a video)

Thanks ALL for your input. I really appreciate it.

I had a Minn Kota about 25lbs thrust and now have a Newport Vessels 55lbs thrust used on a Livingston I use as a utility boat. Same starting battery for 5 years. A car battery of any type will last hours. Smaller batteries are easier to damage from high amp draws and overcharging. It's hard to tip a battery. I use mine almost every day around the dock. Much easier than dealing with gasoline.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom