Old 05-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #61

City: Benicia CA
markpierce, at the rate you're going, it probably won't take you that long to get there either.

Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #62
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
markpierce, at the rate you're going, it probably won't take you that long to get there either.
But I'm not counting and have no set "expiration" goal.

And with Marin posting an average of 4.88 messages per day compared to my 4.44, I won't catch up.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #63
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Really? Can we hold you to that? I thought you were done when the "project" was over weeks ago.
So did I. Best laid plans.....
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #64
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Do you guys ever "boat".....

Just kidding (sort of)

What am I up to now, post count?

<<<<
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #65
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
Do you guys ever "boat"....

Funny you should ask..... Just got back in the slip a little while ago from a day of cruising around and outside Bellingham Bay. Wanted to get another run in before the rain comes back tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #66
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
That's the way Marin screw around with their preconceptions. No need to stop now, we need you. Yacking and yachting at the same time. Keep it up man until you drop the anchor the final time. I plan to.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #67
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
hi all,

Sorry for my snarky reply to the twin versus single thing. It must have been another weird crossing for me.

Seeing Marin's comments, one thing I really like about the krogen is that it runs so well in a following sea. It's like the waves cease to exist. But it sure needs stabilization if they are broadside.

RIchard
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #68
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
No need to stop now, we need you....Keep it up man until you drop the anchor the final time. I plan to.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #69
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
Do you guys ever "boat".....

Just kidding (sort of)

What am I up to now, post count?

<<<<
Since we live on the Eagle we are boating every day, but we do not leave the dock much
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #70
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post

Since we live on the Eagle we are boating every day, but we do not leave the dock much
Are you using the term "boating" as a noun or a verb?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler
Old 05-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #71
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Marin-

You can retire your current account, open another and start all over again! There are going to be many more twin v single, anchor, and pilothouse window threads to get you to another 10K!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #72
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Marin-

You can retire your current account, open another and start all over again!

There are going to be many more twin v single, anchor, and pilothouse window threads to get you to another 10K!
OMG OMG OMG
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #73
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Marin-

You can retire your current account, open another and start all over again! There are going to be many more twin v single, anchor, and pilothouse window threads to get you to another 10K!
I thought of that but only later in the year when we start taking fishing trips and cruises north into BC. Sometimes I get lucky with the camera and get good shots of interesting boats, wildlife, or scenics, and it might be nice to post them on the West Coast part of the forum.

The proper number of engines (two or three), proper type of anchor (rollbar), and the proper orientation of pilothouse windows, which the world knows is vertical or slanted back, are discussions I don't need any part of any more.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #74

City: Palmetto Bay
Vessel Name: Sunshine
Vessel Model: Island Pilot DSe 12m Hybrid
I think Pluto said he was thinking of Great Loop and Bahamas. Extended time aboard but no mention of voyaging across oceans.

I am an advocate of twin steerable pods, either Zeus or IPS, matched to a suitable hull for extended cruising. The Great Loop includes significant docking and locking situations. Nothing is easier to maneuver (taking the stress out of difficult situations) than pods - a your close-in maneuvering is done with an intuitive joystick. Positive & under control.

Dual prop pods are the most efficient way to deliver HP from an internal combustion motor to the water. Well-designed pod-driven yachts can match single screw economy at displacement speeds while still being efficient at planing speeds. You can have your cake and eat it, too.

Most fast boats handle poorly at slow speeds. Since a pod boat steers with 4 propellers, steering is positive at any speed, even with a single motor steering with a pair of counter rotating props.

You can steer in reverse when backing into a slip.

You can for sideways against a 20 knot wind into a small space alongside.

And, when you want to go fast, you can - a well-designed. 40 footer can cruise at speed (21-28 knots) at 1nm/gallon. And there are plenty of boring spots on the Great Loop or in the Bahamas whet it can be nice to have some speed. Rather than spending 8 hours in six footers at 7-1/2 knots you can get through them in 4 hours at 15.

There are many boaters who like having speed available - look at the success of the tug yachts. With the development of the modern diesel, one can efficiently cruise at 8 knots in a boat that can go 30 knots. And with pods, steering is positive at all speeds as is tracking.

I would much rather shoot a treacherous inlet with a lot if reserve power that can get to the water via steerable pods than the typical full displacement single screw trawler.

BTW, no bow nor stern thruster - you have all the thrust you need in those big diesels aft.

And, when you need to hold position waiting on a bridge or lock, you just push a button and a pod boat holds heading and position - close enough that when short handed, on a windy day with no dock boys to help, you can hold position in your slip as you cast off all your lines. Not too shabby.

Pods are a bit less popular in the Pacific Northwest due to the debris in the water. Pluto has not mentioned an interest in the PNW - only the Great Loop and Bahamas. For that type of cruising I would prefer a pod boat, hands down!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #75
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtrane View Post
Pods are a bit less popular in the Pacific Northwest due to the debris in the water.
The main thing that keeps the number of pod boats down in the PNW (and everywhere else) is the price. A new GB41 (now GB43) with the pod drives is well north of $1 million bucks by the time you get it equipped sufficiently to actually use. And they have not been in production long enough for the used ones to be much less than that.

I've talked to people who have run GB41s and you're correct, they're wonderful when it comes to maneuvering and holding station, going fast when you want or need to. But they are far outside the acquisition range of the typical recreational cruiser buyer who's looking to spend $50K- $250k on a boat.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #76
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtrane View Post

And, when you want to go fast, you can - a well-designed. 40 footer can cruise at speed (21-28 knots) at 1nm/gallon. And there are plenty of boring spots on the Great Loop or in the Bahamas whet it can be nice to have some speed. Rather than spending 8 hours in six footers at 7-1/2 knots you can get through them in 4 hours at 15.
1977 Tolly tri cabin 34' w/twin 350/255 hp direct drive gets 1 nmpg on plane at 16/17 knots fully loaded w/ 5 adults and two kids. 2.25 to 2.50 nmpg at 6 knots (7.58 is calced hull speed). When you mention 6' waves at 15 knots - you referring to long duration rollers? Or, close duration chop w/ white caps?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #77
Veteran Member

City: Fort McAllister, Ga
Vessel Name: Hot Shot
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Right on Marin! Unless we hit the lottery, we are looking at 100k or so budget. Those pods sound awesome though.....
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
1977 Tolly tri cabin 34' w/twin 350/255 hp direct drive gets 1 nmpg on plane at 16/17 knots fully loaded w/ 5 adults and two kids. 2.25 to 2.50 nmpg at 6 knots (7.58 is calced hull speed). When you mention 6' waves at 15 knots - you referring to long duration rollers? Or, close duration chop w/ white caps?
Nothing wrong with those Tolly numbers - but that's for 34 footer - not a 40 plus footer.

I'm talking about heading south on the Jersey coast into 25 knots plus wind and 6 footers all the way from NYC to Cape May. I'd rather tough it out at 15 than at 7 or 8.

In the same weather, turning north in Delaware Bay, with 4 footers, we speed up to 21 or 25 knots. Very exciting passages.

The reason we tend to cruise this way is not for fun - it's on a schedule to get from one boat show in CT to the next in MD. I advocate staying out of nasty seas entirely - and with a retired owner, not on a schedule, one can choose his windows for open water (I'm talking coast wise, of course, not blue water passage making).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norwalk to Home; 9-08 054.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	19282  
Old 05-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The main thing that keeps the number of pod boats down in the PNW (and everywhere else) is the price. A new GB41 (now GB43) with the pod drives is well north of $1 million bucks by the time you get it equipped sufficiently to actually use. And they have not been in production long enough for the used ones to be much less than that.

I've talked to people who have run GB41s and you're correct, they're wonderful when it comes to maneuvering and holding station, going fast when you want or need to. But they are far outside the acquisition range of the typical recreational cruiser buyer who's looking to spend $50K- $250k on a boat.
Pod boats don't need to be any more expensive than the same yacht with the HP for equivalent performance - typically 30% . Of course, you've picked one of the most expensive pod boats to support your position, a Grand Banks.

Our IPS 42 footers sell new for $600k complete and used in the mid $300s. So ALL pod boats are not tremendously expensive. These prices are competitive with a similar sized single screw tug-style yacht.

I know so many of you here are on a budget - this design came across my desk recently - just add a Johnson Seahorse 3 HP and a Marine shelter half or two and a camp stove and you're cruising on a budget!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat0.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	19283  
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #80
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
View from port window off the Georgia Coast 26 knots at 1 mpg 5' quartering sea.

I still can't understand the need and expense of pod drives. The Bahama coral heads could be devastating to pods. High torque twin screws will put a direct drive boat where you want it. If you need more help add a thruster or two. A lot cheaper and less complicated. How do you retrieve a snapped off pod in a remote area? For that matter, how do you find it? I'm very happy with my mechanically injected straight drives. I guess I'm a neanderthal, and doomed to the dark ages forever.l

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote