Old 07-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #1

City: Kemah TX
Vessel Name: Sea U Later
Vessel Model: 1976 46' Hatteras
Transmission stuck in gear

I have a 97 Man Diesel that the transmission seems to stuck in gear. When starting it takes off in gear. I have taking cable off and click to to all three positions and reset it to neutral and still start in forward gear. Any suggestions or is the dual disc froze in forward?
Thanks
Tommy

Tblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblaze View Post
I have a 97 Man Diesel that the transmission seems to stuck in gear. When starting it takes off in gear. I have taking cable off and click to to all three positions and reset it to neutral and still start in forward gear. Any suggestions or is the dual disc froze in forward?
Thanks
Tommy
Welcome aboard Tommy. I'm not familiar with your unit, but I would spin the prop shaft with the engine off. If the pack is stuck you may be able to spin the engine slightly I suspect. The more likely scenario of a stuck disk is a warped disc/discs from excessive wear and overheating. There would be other indicators like burned oil and clutch material in the filter or suction screen. If none of this applies, then your control oil (forward and reverse pack pistons receive pressurized oil to squeeze the discs) would be suspect. It could be in the control valve (your cheapest repair) to internal bypassing, possibly at an oil distributor. Once you locate the specs and test ports for F/R for your unit you could diagnose further. Good luck. Keep us posted!

Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Maybe you got some water in the transmission and it rusted the plates together? Just an idea. Did you check your oil for water
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #4

City: Hampstead,NC
Vessel Name: HoneyBadger
Vessel Model: 1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
My dads boat with 8V92's did that once the boat had been sitting for 4 weeks untill we could pick it up in Florida, A phone call and some guy shows up removed the plate on the top of the transmision he had some type of wedge and drove it in each of what i think were the clutchs, They were stuck why i can't remember but it was repaired and we powered to NC with no other problems then had the transmissions serviced.
honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote