Transmission stuck in gear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tblaze

Vessel Name
Sea U Later
Vessel Make
1976 46' Hatteras
I have a 97 Man Diesel that the transmission seems to stuck in gear. When starting it takes off in gear. I have taking cable off and click to to all three positions and reset it to neutral and still start in forward gear. Any suggestions or is the dual disc froze in forward?
Thanks
Tommy

I have a 97 Man Diesel that the transmission seems to stuck in gear. When starting it takes off in gear. I have taking cable off and click to to all three positions and reset it to neutral and still start in forward gear. Any suggestions or is the dual disc froze in forward?
Thanks
Tommy
Welcome aboard Tommy. I'm not familiar with your unit, but I would spin the prop shaft with the engine off. If the pack is stuck you may be able to spin the engine slightly I suspect. The more likely scenario of a stuck disk is a warped disc/discs from excessive wear and overheating. There would be other indicators like burned oil and clutch material in the filter or suction screen. If none of this applies, then your control oil (forward and reverse pack pistons receive pressurized oil to squeeze the discs) would be suspect. It could be in the control valve (your cheapest repair) to internal bypassing, possibly at an oil distributor. Once you locate the specs and test ports for F/R for your unit you could diagnose further. Good luck. Keep us posted!

Maybe you got some water in the transmission and it rusted the plates together? Just an idea. Did you check your oil for water

My dads boat with 8V92's did that once the boat had been sitting for 4 weeks untill we could pick it up in Florida, A phone call and some guy shows up removed the plate on the top of the transmision he had some type of wedge and drove it in each of what i think were the clutchs, They were stuck why i can't remember but it was repaired and we powered to NC with no other problems then had the transmissions serviced.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom