Old 02-15-2018, 03:08 AM   #1

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Blue Monk
Vessel Model: Monk 36 #107
Transmission fail

My wife and I are new Monk 36 owners, and we were getting a “lesson” in docking by maneuvering in an empty section of the marina. We were on the fly bridge; I was at the helm. I was nudging her in and out of reverse and forward, with the rpm at 600 or so, when I went from reverse, to neutral, to forward, and didn’t feel anything engage when I pushed the lever (stick? gear shift?) to forward. I tried it again. The transmission was stuck idling in reverse.

Needless to say, we backed into the slip behind us, bumping hard enough to dent the swim platform. We had sense enough not to try to stop it with our arms or feet, but it was still un-nerving.

As it turns out, the lever in the salon was in reverse when we went below to use that station to steer the boat. The transmission worked fine from there. Our guide stayed below, and I went up top. I detected no movement from the transmission stick when it was shifted from the cabin below.

Has anyone had this happen?

Thanks.
Mike Horsfall
M/V “Blue Monk” Monk 36 #107
S/V “Sarabande” Cal 25

MikeHorsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:22 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. MH. Sounds like you've got a broken control cable between upper and lower helm. Remove and replace. Can be easy or difficult depending on routing and how much is sharing the chase spaces...

Old 02-15-2018, 07:20 AM   #3
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Could be as simple as cotter pin or clevis or screw coming out. Inspect interior of helm controls.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Could be as simple as cotter pin or clevis or screw coming out. Inspect interior of helm controls.
Yes! I keep an Allen wrench handy to tighten my upper helm shifter retaining screw that likes to mysteriously back out.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #5

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Yes! I keep an Allen wrench handy to tighten my upper helm shifter retaining screw that likes to mysteriously back out.
Blue lock tight will solve that
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #6

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Have you considered thread locking compound? Or if there are enough treads in the hole, using a second screw to lock the first?
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #7

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Had this happen once on our GB50 when coming into a slip in Petersburg, AK. We had dual single action throttle and gear Morse shifters. Was on flybridge and had gears in forward. Coming in a little hard because of the current and when I went to put gear in neutral it wouldn't respond. Tried to put it in reverse and this just sped up the engine! Somehow managed to run down to the pilot house and threw shifters in reverse w/ throttle. Missed ramming the dock by about an inch. I was told that people at the head of the slip were scattering as we bore down on them. Turned out that a nut on the FB throttle shifter and loosened and jammed. Loctited all the fasteners after that!
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ignore my comment in post #2 and take the other offered advice FIRST. Apologies. I jumped to exclusions....

Old 02-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
Have you considered thread locking compound? Or if there are enough treads in the hole, using a second screw to lock the first?
My first consideration was a nearby Allen wrench that scared the nut into staying put. Aluminum (soft) thread handles so need to be careful.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #10

City: Anacortes Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
I had a throttle cable come loose from the controls at the helm on our previous boat. Normally I never touch the wheel or the throttle controls once I am in a marina, but on this day I was dealing with a strong wind and needed a little boost. Routine turns into panic in an instant.
Russell Clifton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #11
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
On our Broom 42 we have a changeover switch at the lower helm position. You activate it to either 'upper' or 'lower' helm, once you select 'upper helm' the lower helm controls are locked. Vice versa for the 'lower helm'.
If anyone wishes to buy one I will find the supplier and post it here on TF.
I hope this helps someone.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:28 PM   #12
Guru

City: B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Yes, another one here. Mine was stuck into forward. No damage done except to my pride.

Check the clevices at the top/bridge control AND at the inside control. As mentioned a cotter pin or a nut has most likely come loose.
Mine were nuts. Upon reassembly I used Loctite #222 SMALL SCREW, not the other more powerfull lockers. The blue would be ok but for this application the 222 would be better.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:47 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Gosh, I thought mechanical devices were impervious to failure, and that only new fangled electronic devices could fail? Sorry, I couldn't help myself. But in all seriousness, this is a good illustration of how pretty much anything is subject to failure.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:11 PM   #14
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
The linkage at the transmission popped loose on approach to a dock in our Californian 34. Could not reverse, but had room to turn away & anchor 'til I could figure it out. interesting sensation.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Gosh, I thought mechanical devices were impervious to failure, and that only new fangled electronic devices could fail? Sorry, I couldn't help myself. But in all seriousness, this is a good illustration of how pretty much anything is subject to failure.
TT

Your comment got me to thinking. My hands on followings and observations during the past half century of equipment whether cars, boats, heavy equipment or snow blowers finds that vast improvements have occurred. These have been brought about by all manners of innovation and invention in electronics, machinery, engineering, design and construction techniques. Revolutionary in fact if one looks at the resource industries.

Reliability, economy, efficiency and innovation spanning all industries has been earth shattering. Look no further than auto transmissions such as the PDK I have in one of my vehicles. Or induction systems on all IC engines. Or industrial applications of microprocessors and process control, or yada yada. What an exciting last half century as technology has erupted. Boats included.

Sorry for the thread drift.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:51 AM   #16
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chc View Post
The linkage at the transmission popped loose on approach to a dock in our Californian 34. Could not reverse, but had room to turn away & anchor 'til I could figure it out. interesting sensation.
Broke a shifter cable recently that felt much the same. In my case, it was stuck in neutral when anchoring...away from any docks. Lucky me!

I found that I could manually select fwd on the stbd tranny and start it in gear to provide fwd stbd thrust. With that knowledge, I continued fishing for 3 days, then returned to the marina with both engines. As I approached, I shut down the stbd side and docked as a single. If I really needed stbd fwd thrust, I could have started the stbd engine. Fortunately, it wasn't needed.

Swish!
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #17
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Good idea when coming into harbor is to check your gears before getting into a tight spot. Just go to N and then bump R. Then carry on.

In thinking, I realize that I used to do this and lately have not. Maybe I should take my own advice!!
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #18
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Good idea when coming into harbor is to check your gears before getting into a tight spot. Just go to N and then bump R. Then carry on.

In thinking, I realize that I used to do this and lately have not. Maybe I should take my own advice!!
Same here, thanks for the reminder
Old 02-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #19
Guru

City: Fairport
Quote:

This is good advice. Ever since I slipped a coupler, I do this fairly hard annually or so. Last thing you want on a urgent reverse is to have the shaft leave the coupler.

And before one asks "why do I need to back down quickly". is a fishing thing!
diver dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #20
Guru

City: B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
This is good advice. Ever since I slipped a coupler, I do this fairly hard annually or so. Last thing you want on a urgent reverse is to have the shaft leave the coupler.

And before one asks "why do I need to back down quickly". is a fishing thing!

Not just fishing. I've had to clobber reverse hard to avoid another boat. We [I] won't discuss fault.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote