Old 06-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Sea Rover
Vessel Model: CT 40 / Hartley Motor Sailor
transfer pump for fuel system

I am rebuilding the fuel system on 1981 Ta Chao trawler and am including a fuel polishing system which will pump to a day tank. I am looking at a Walbro FR pump for this and it looked like the FRB 13 or 22 were the strongest candidates. the articles I've looked at all reference older Walbro pumps which have been replaced by the new FR series pumps.

Would like to know what people are using or if you have a recommendation. Thanks.

Randy
kazenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Walbro WA 6092. Its about 15+ years old and I polish/transfer about 100 hours per year.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Miss Maggie
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 36
Newbie here - what exactly is polishing and why is it needed ? Is it for old fuel or both ? Thanks
tracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Here is my rig and the thread discussing it:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...e-ii-3761.html

Here is the FIRST thread about the starting thoughts about the design, but it's not as interesting or informative:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ject-2798.html

I was skeptical about, and was advised not to use, a 12V pump because it has a shorter duty cycle (120V is continuous duty). I opted for a 120V motor and pump. The only thing it does is prevent me from an xfer or scrub while underway, but there are other plumbing reasons that limit me from that too. Still, I don't at all feel like a 120V pump was the wrong decision. I can possibly see the need to fill a day tank while underway though. So while I can't tell you about that pump for sure, those thread, I hope, can help you along some.

The bottom line is that since I had my tanks cleaned, I have not needed to scrub the fuel at all.

Good luck!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #5

City: Hong Kong
Try Reverso GP312, good pump.

I have two of them, on for fuel transfer/polishing and 1 for engine oil change/polish.

If 1 fails, I can change to the other one.
Searios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I like the Reverso pumps as well. They are very nice little gear pumps made in Italy.
These are great fuel transfer pumps that move up to 3 gpm.

Reverso also makes rubber impeller pumps but I think the gear pumps need less maintainence.

Reverso 311
The 312 has a bigger motor.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracie View Post
Newbie here - what exactly is polishing and why is it needed ? Is it for old fuel or both ? Thanks

Its for new and old fuel to clean/filter the fuel. Mostly for older fuel but can be for new fuel if the fuel has algae/dirt/water. I also filter the fuel when transferring so if there is a concern/problem in one tank it’s not transferred to the other tanks.

Boats tend to have larger fuel tank capacity than what is used/turned in a year and fuel/diesel tend separated out water and/or tanks tend to collect moisture/condensation. As mentioned before if there is no water there is no algae, and tanks tend to rust/corrode less. So it's for a number of reasons.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Price difference in Reverso Pumps

Anyone know why the 311 and 312 are so different in price. 312 seems somewhat more powerful, but they seem awfully similar for being double the price.

R
Old 06-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #9

The Walbro is more of a fuel lift type pump whereas the Reverso is more of a transfer/polishing type tump, as the OP asked for.
The Reverso can be reversed, can be used for different fluids, has higher capacity, whereas the Walbro is only for fuel and is one direction only.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #10
FF
Guru

Polishing at best may clean the fuel in the tank, but does nothing to clean the stick gunk IN the tank , usually on the bottom and stuck to the side walls.

Physical presence (a spatula) is required to clean the tank inside , not just the fuel in it , regardless of what the dock hustlers claim for their pumps and filters.

If you want to roll your own in the for sale section I have the basic manifold you might consider.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...lock-9765.html
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
Guru

Being most fuel lines are ½” only about 60 gph can pass through. The Walbro is rated to 55 gph. Also the Walbro is set for a low 3 to 5 PSI which is also recommend for fuel systems, and it will allow fuel to pass through if you forget to switch things over and/or turn on. So having a bigger rate flow and psi pump is not needed and/or recommended. As for reversing the Racor fuel filter only flow one way. If you look at premade polishing systems that you can buy complete they have Walbro. 12+ years about 1200 hours and the pump is still working.

I disagreed the polishing can not clean the tank over a long period of time. Especially when the tank is close to empty as you can added additives that will dissolve the gunk, which requires polishing cleaning the fuel. The reason for primary filters is to filter out the gung, dirt and water. I made the 3 manifolds out of copper pipe, fittings and valves so there is not need to spend big bucks on forged manifolds.

Anyway be careful with a high volume and/or psi pump. I probable polish clean the fuel more than most as the last thing I want is 600 to 800 gallons to have problems. If you send my a PM with your email address I will send you a diagram of the Eagle fuel system which includes polishing.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The reverso looks interesting, although I can't tell what the major differences are other than power between the 311 and 312. Both are more expensive than the Walbro.

On the Walbro's I can't tell what model I should order if I go that rout. The FRB's are demand run, meaning they only come on when there is a demand for fuel, making them more appropriate for an inline pump to the engine. Of the others, the FRC pumps are continuous operation and also have an internal filter. If I go Walbro I am leaning that direction. Anyone with experience with the new Walbro pumps? Randy
Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #13

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Just installed a walbro FBR 22 and it is loud. Like a jackhammer 3 blocks away. I would go elsewhere.
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #14

Good point about the ID of the fuel line.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #15
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazenza View Post
Anyone know why the 311 and 312 are so different in price. 312 seems somewhat more powerful, but they seem awfully similar for being double the price.

R
Motor is bigger. About 3 lbs bigger according to the spec sheets.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #16
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
My AC motor only has a 60 gph vane pump on it. It was the rated gph of the filters.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #17

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Note by Note
Vessel Model: 34 DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Here is my rig and the thread discussing it:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...e-ii-3761.html

Good luck!
I liked Tom's system and built one that's very similar. It works great! The AC motor is quiet, and could run on the inverter if I ever needed to transfer fuel while underway.

I mostly use the system to transfer fuel between tanks. I find it easier to move all of the fuel to the port tank before I head over to the fuel dock. Then I only need to fill one tank.

I typically will run the pump for a few minutes before starting the engine. I doubt that it accomplishes much, but I figure if there's anything near the bottom of tank, this will get it before the main filters.
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #18
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracie View Post
Newbie here - what exactly is polishing and why is it needed ? Is it for old fuel or both ? Neither, it is for boats and dirty tanks that have sat lightly used for many years allowing crap and bugs to grow. Add to that water leaks on rusty tank tops and you have a looming problem. Thanks
Some think it needed and some don't. I much prefer tank cleaning and a good filtering setup to deal with tank crud. Boatdiesel.com has some great articles on the filtering subject.

If you do go with a polishing setup, I'd recommend a high volume AC pump and big lines so you can really get the fuel circulating. No different than the reputable guys you might call to professionally do the job.

Bottom line, fuel polishing with little pumps, filters and lines is a salve only.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
If you do go with a polishing setup, I'd recommend a high volume AC pump and big lines so you can really get the fuel circulating. No different than the reputable guys you might call to professionally do the job.

Even a 100GPM+ pump and 1" fuel lines doesn't touch crud on the bottom or sides of a tank.

This is what it leaves behind:
Attached Thumbnails
TANK_3.jpg  
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Miss Maggie
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 36
Newbie here again - Thank - you FF & Sunchaser - " Polishing ( which the term appears to be used only in the US - ) seems " polishing " is basically filtering already filtered fuel. But unless your fuel tanks are " reasonable clean of stuff " , you will still have issues at some point. And that point always seems to happen at the wrong place and at the wrong time !
Isn't " polishing only " the same as putting the cart in front of the horse if you don't also clean the tanks ? Or am I missing something here ????
tracie is offline   Reply With Quote