Old 03-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Sam

City: Kalama, WA
Vessel Name: "Restitution"
Vessel Model: 38' Californian
Tranny fluid as fuel additive

Just had injectors rebuilt for both Perkins engines. Had lots of smoke and fuel in crankcase last year. What a world of difference for $600 and moderately easy to do as well. The rebuild shop said that the new diesel is all "low sulphur" and as such, has no lubricating properties. This will put excessive wear on new injectors. He suggested adding ATF or two stroke oil at each fill up. He said the engines will thank me for it. I've heard this from others too. How many of you do this AND what quantity oil? (1 qt per 100 gal)?

Sam

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I would only put things in the fuel that are supposed to be in the fuel. Automatic transmission fluid is supposed to be put in automatic transmissions, not in your fuel system.

If you believe you need to add something to your fuel for what ever reason, I would suggest one of the commercial fuel additives intended for diesel engines in marine service.

Your favorite marine retailer will have several to choose from or you can buy from an Internet vendor.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Your mechanic might be mistaken. We just talked about fuel additives just last month-ish. Here is the whole thread:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...tive-8534.html

But here is the most relevant post by a fuel professional TF member Craig Shreck:

The issue of adding a fuel lubricity product to your fuel tank is some what dependent on where you live, I can only talk about Atlantic east coast cause that's the bulk of the fuels we sample and test, The EMA < eng mans assoc > have a lubricity standard called HFRR, The min # is 460 HFRR, The good old high sulfur pre 2005 fuels were Diesel #2 350/390 HFRR Those days are gone, The low sulfur we have seen after 2005 has been 390/500 HFRR and now for Ultra low sulfur 600/800 HFRR , Note... the higher the # the lower the lubricity, The good news is we have not seen any Ultra low diesel for marine fuels yet on the east coast & most of the fuels tested have been under 460 HFRR. There are some engines that will require some form additive in the future when the marine industry must comply, It seems to me that most people are just selling extra protection that may not be needed, Its a easy sell We recommend for long term storage tanks should be empty and cleaned before use, Good topic fellas
Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I agree with Ron - add only stuff that is meant to be added. Here is some info.
Fuel Additive Test - Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel - Diesel Power Magazine

Also bear in mind that the oil companies put their own additives in before the fuel gets to the pump, to compensate for the unintended consequences of sulfur removal. Not sure that end-user additions are going to be needed for most people.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
ATF is made with "mineral oil"....and it has other chemicals in it..... I would not add it to my fuel.
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Many fleets & farmers have been adding filtered waste engine oil to their fuel for decades with no ill effects. I would not be so sure this is a bad idea.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
ATF has lots of additives for automatic transmissions. I hear they are heavily laden w anti foaming additives. That will do you no good and they were never intended to burn. They may burn like plastic or rubber. So I agree w Ron on this one too .. no ATF. And I'd say also that the mechanic was dead wrong and is a good example of why we should question what mechanics say.

The 2 stroke lube oil is meant to be burned and is usually ash less and very clean burning. It also is an excellent lubricant and whatever additives it has burn clean in a gas engine but a diesel engine may be different. I doubt it though. I'd give it a 99% thumbs up .. but not 100.

Brooksie,
I'm sure that's a bad idea for the same reason 4 stroke engine lube oil is very bad to run in a 2 stroke gas engine. Four stroke lube oil should not be in a combustion chamber. I'd do like Ron suggests as I don't think we really have a lubricity problem yet. And re what Brian says they probably won't sell a fuel that will ruin thousands of engines. Not in their best interest.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
ATF has lots of additives for automatic transmissions. I hear they are heavily laden w anti foaming additives. That will do you no good and they were never intended to burn. They may burn like plastic or rubber. So I agree w Ron on this one too .. no ATF. And I'd say also that the mechanic was dead wrong and is a good example of why we should question what mechanics say.

The 2 stroke lube oil is meant to be burned and is usually ash less and very clean burning. It also is an excellent lubricant and whatever additives it has burn clean in a gas engine but a diesel engine may be different. I doubt it though. I'd give it a 99% thumbs up .. but not 100.

Brooksie,
I'm sure that's a bad idea for the same reason 4 stroke engine lube oil is very bad to run in a 2 stroke gas engine. Four stroke lube oil should not be in a combustion chamber. I'd do like Ron suggests as I don't think we really have a lubricity problem yet. And re what Brian says they probably won't sell a fuel that will ruin thousands of engines. Not in their best interest.
I'll take that as a no on the atf.

Back in the day, there was no such thing as 2 stroke oil and everyone used engine oil in their old 2 strokes. I'm sure 2 stroke oil is better in many ways, but there were no great problems using engine oil. The outboards were all 30:1 mixture so they saw even more oil than today.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
.............. Back in the day, ............... .
Engines today are far different than what they were "back in the day". Unless you are running a forty year old engine, I would forger the "back in the day" stuff.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Engines today are far different than what they were "back in the day". Unless you are running a forty year old engine, I would forger the "back in the day" stuff.
"who won't learn from history must repeat it"
Old 03-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #11

when I worked for Ford as a diesel tech we had th oppertunity to talk to a Navstar engine designer and his comment on ATF in the fuel was an absolute NO, if you really want to use something use an additive reccommendedby the manufacture or as a last resort 2 cycle oil at least thats intended to be in a combustion chamber
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #12
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Look also at this thread. There are some old standard recommendations that if used will actually harm the engine.
Be carefull.
Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
FF
Guru

Many fleets & farmers have been adding filtered waste engine oil to their fuel for decades with no ill effects.

Go to the DD site and see the damage fro using old lube oil.

The practice of using ATF comes from maint shops that change fuel filters.

Getting diesel to fill a filter housing is a pain in the butt, opening a couple of cans of ATF , a snap as its in the parts room.

ATF might help, but I prefer a gallon of cheap 2 stroke oil to each 100G refueling

I see it as insurance, it may help, but does no harm , so why not
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #14
Guru

Assuming you do this on a regular basis how long have you done it? Like you say it dosn't seem like it could do any harm and would probably to no doubt be good upper cylinder lube.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #15
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
... here is the most relevant post by a fuel professional TF member Craig Shreck:

"The issue of adding a fuel lubricity product to your fuel tank is some what dependent on where you live, I can only talk about Atlantic east coast cause that's the bulk of the fuels we sample and test, The EMA < eng mans assoc > have a lubricity standard called HFRR, ..."
Beware of "experts" who don't know the difference between a piece of test equipment and a standard.

Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Fuel Additive
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #16
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Assuming you do this on a regular basis how long have you done it? Like you say it dosn't seem like it could do any harm and would probably to no doubt be good upper cylinder lube.
Could you explain the process by which a diesel fuel additive will lubricate the "upper cylinder"?
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
He suggested adding ATF or two stroke oil at each fill up. He said the engines will thank me for it. I've heard this from others too. Sam
In our recreational boats that seldom see more than 100 to 300 hours per year one can get by with a few of the dock talk fuel and oil elixirs. Nobody can ever be proved wrong or right.

The real work horses of the diesel world are 24/7 gensets, 7 day 3 shift mining equipment or tow barges where 70%+ load for 4,000 to 7,000 hours per year are routine. They don't use the guy next door's suggestions. Many of the heavy duty applications have a perpetuity contract for the engine components, blocks and repair costs with fuel and lubricant specs very tightly specified.

It is easy enough to google Cat, Cummins or MTU data and read through their mandates for fluids and fuel. It will read little different than your engine book for fuel and oil specs, just more pages of details. If anyone could find a new or old engine manufacturers book that says use ATF, 2 stroke, Marvel etc in your fuel or oil I'd be very surprised. If you have a new TierII, III or IV engine tread very lightly on fuel and oil elixirs, even if only for a 300 hour per year engine.

As noted earlier, additives for diesel fuel lubricity are placed there by the refiner. Bugs, water, winter layup elixirs - well that is a different old and new wives tale.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
Guru

I would add that Bob Smith at American Diesel has been suggesting Marvel Mystery Oil for the Ford Lehman only, for many years if you have an FL and want to add something. He suggests using nothing else. Chuck.
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #19
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I was talking to Mr. Smith a fair number of years back (most probably before the advent of low sulfur fuel) and brought up the MM question. As I vaguely recall his response it was something to the effect of: You don't really have to add anything but MM shouldn't hurt the Lehman. I HAVE added MM in the past but I don't think I will continue this practice.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #20
Guru

Rick,
At first I thought of grabbing some tomato's to throw and then the light went on. But it would lube fuel pumps and injector pumps and it's with injector pumps that diesels need lubricity isn't it?

Tags
fuel addative