Old 02-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #41
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Ski:

I think that you are correct about what happened. Yanmar tried and either failed or was blocked by patents. As a result they had to marinize the BMW engines to stay in the market.

Now that Yanmar has CR in their own JH engine and in the Toyota one, I hope that they will work on their 4LH engine and bring it back to the market with CR. The BMW based BY engines are a poor substitute for the 4LH and with the exception of Volvo there is no other real competition at that size.

David

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #42
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Dave- Agreed. If they can get the CR on the JH, do it on the LH too!!! For that matter, buy the molds for the Toyota based LP and strap CR on it. No need for a stupid V8. Dang, just strap it on the whole product line!! Over 50hp, that is. No need for CR on sailboats. Oh wait, that emissions thing...

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #43
Guru

Steve, congratulations, the new powerplant sounds a good choice. You really are dictated to by the deep pit which serves as the ER. I helped a friend R&R the engine in a Resort 35,tight as, building and installing a mock-up was a good idea. We spent hours bent over shimming the engine mounts.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #44
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Steve, congratulations, the new powerplant sounds a good choice. You really are dictated to by the deep pit which serves as the ER. I helped a friend R&R the engine in a Resort 35,tight as, building and installing a mock-up was a good idea. We spent hours bent over shimming the engine mounts.
You know it Bruce.
I am am currently luxuriating in the sit-up engine room with no engine.

Before the new engine is installed, I need to:
- Finish cleaning & painting bilge
- Replace the fuel tanks, filters, and lines,
- Install engine mount beds,
- Relocate battery boxes
- Rewire for new engine, ER lights, and bilge pumps

I am hoping that with the newer smaller engine, and the relocated batteries, exhaust & fuel tanks; if I play my cards right, I may just be able to sit down aft of the engine after it is installed; rather than working upside down.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:12 AM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Taunton, Mass.
Vessel Name: Rise & Shine
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
I've encountered a bunch of MD-3B and MD-17C Volvo engines in Albin-25s, and they are indeed well made machines. Most of the A-25 repowers seem to be with Beta or Yanmar engines, and both have excellent records. The Beta line is well supported (at least here in New England, USA) as is Yanmar.

I'd say you could select either one without reservation.

I have no experience with Nanni engines.

GOOD LUCK!

JS
Driftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #46
Veteran Member

City: Taunton, Mass.
Vessel Name: Rise & Shine
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Sorry about the earlier post, I failed to notice the second and third pages of the thread.

I'll look harder next time.

Cheers!

JS
Driftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:41 AM   #47
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
You know it Bruce.
I am am currently luxuriating in the sit-up engine room with no engine.

Before the new engine is installed, I need to:
- Finish cleaning & painting bilge
- Replace the fuel tanks, filters, and lines,
- Install engine mount beds,
- Relocate battery boxes
- Rewire for new engine, ER lights, and bilge pumps

I am hoping that with the newer smaller engine, and the relocated batteries, exhaust & fuel tanks; if I play my cards right, I may just be able to sit down aft of the engine after it is installed; rather than working upside down.
Pictures of the project please sir
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:40 AM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
Pictures of the project please sir
Sorry - siesta key I'm camera-less at the moment, but I'll borrow one over the next few days. The new Vetus is getting dropped in on Wednesday.
Photo's are definitely required.

I'm currently revelling in the pleasure of working in my clean "engine room".
It's a pity that once an engine goes back into the ER, access will be much more limited.

I've got one new 2mm (.078") stainless steel fuel tank in place, the second one will go in tomorrow. I've raised the new tanks off the deck with a slope towards the outlet so any water or sediment does not build up. Still plenty to get done before I lose my easy access.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #49
FF
Guru

The older Volvos MD3B and others did well as they were created as marine engines.

Marinizations of yard implements (Kubota) work fine today as modern manufacturing techniques do much of the selection and assembly.

In many cases the boat will loose 200+ pounds of cast iron which is usually good , BUT by loosing a heavy flywheel the boat may not be as smooth.

For the DIY folks the 3 cylinder Kubotas can be found used at truck reefer shops , usually 3 for $1000.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:37 PM   #50
Guru

New engine on board

Significant milestone in the re-power project. The new engine is onboard. Here's the old Volvo that came out.

I then clean the bilge, removed & replaced the fuel tanks, moving them outward a few inches to give me space to box in the engine. Stringers widened to suit new engine mount position and 4" angle bolted & glued to stringer. Battery boxes removed and bilge painted. Sound proofing begun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150103_114430.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	37750   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150226_071126.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	37751  
Old 02-26-2015, 11:43 PM   #51
Guru

It was a squeeze but we got it in. Plan C ended up working. While it was on the hard, I redid the stuffing box and stern tube hose.
I added another 4" onto the length of the hose to make the stuffing box more accessible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150226_144944.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	37753   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150226_120853.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	37754  
Old 02-27-2015, 08:11 AM   #52
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Looks great and what a difference with a clean fresh area!
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #53
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Sweet looking bilge bling AusCan, keep up the great work

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #54

City: Jupiter, FL
Vessel Name: JOHN D. MACDONALD
Vessel Model: FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
Looking good!
Billyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #55
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Time to re-power

That yellow/black paint scheme on the engine looks cool.

Edit: after looking again it looks like the black might be a plastic cover and not paint. Still looks cool!
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #56
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Yup ..... I really liked the Yellow and almost bought this engine. My Mitsu is flat black looked used from the start.

AusCan did you have those engine mount brackets fabed from steel plate and then galvanized? You're stringers are considerably further apart than mine. That will be nice when you drop things down there or clean up. What gear is that ... ? Looks bigger than the aluminum boxed things usually found on small engines. Could it be hydraulically controlled? You'll love that engine. The glow plugs are bullet proof. We have the same ones since new ten years ago. I run mine 8 seconds on a cold engine. It then starts instantly and runs smoothly at 1000rpm. Mine cold will run 600 at dead idle. I idle mine at 850 to 900 when warm. I'm propped to 3000 and cruise at 2300 almost always. Occasionally I'll run at 2500 when trying to reach an anchorage before dark. Above 2500 Willy makes such a big stupid wake I'd not want to be seen doing it.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #57
Guru

The old volvo had a fairly wide footprint. I added a 1 " x 8" grey box (very hard wood) plank to the inside of each stringer and epoxied / bolted them in place. I then used 4x4x3/8" galvanized angle to fabricate the bed for the mounts.

The black section on top of the engine is an aluminium coolant "heat sink" which Vetus adds as part of their marinizing kit. It supposed helps to keep the ambient temperature cool in an enclosed engine space. It also also supposedly reduces the engine noise by 5-10 dB.

The gearbox is a ZF-25A hydraulic unit. It is somewhat oversized, normally fitted to 60-100 hp engines. A few big advantages. It can be run at full power is either direction, so I don't have to replace my LH prop. I just hook up the linkage in reverse.
Also it had a big vertical offset, which was required as my prop shaft sits low in the bilge.
Also the 8 degree down angle allowed me to reduce the engine angle to only 3 degrees. horizontal.

I'm on my way back to work now, so I'll have to wait a month before I hear her running. I still have all the details to finish. Wiring, throttle & gearbox linkage, fuel lines, relocate battery boxes, exhaust, sound insulation, raw water hookup.
The hard slog is done though.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:42 PM   #58
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Sounds like it's all coming together perfect. That's the new saying now ... "perfect". Everybody says perfect all the time. Beats "far out" though. Boy did I ever get sick of that.

The pre-chamber Mitsu is a quiet engine w/o the black aluminum cooler. So you should be happy w the minimal noise. With Klassen I saw an opportunity to get set up w no aluminum on my engine at all and "went for it". They didn't have the black cooler then though. You're really going to like that engine. Unlike mine it's great to look at too.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #59
Guru

Replacing my bent port shaft I was surprised at the fine tolerances of aligning gearbox and shaft. The shipwright muttered that even newly qualified guys have no idea how fine the limits are. Something to check when finishing the fine tuning.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:05 AM   #60
Guru

Eric- Maybe not perfect, but there's been a lot of thought put into it. One of the advantages of doing it yourself is that you can stop and reconsider your plans at any stage. I also kept in mind things like access for maintenance which is so important on small boats like ours.

Bruce - I built the engine bed to have the engine sitting about 5mm (") low which will allow me to space it out for a good alignment. When designing & fabrication the mounts etc, I built a wooden model (actually 2, a Vetus & a Beta) which I used to get my heights and angles set uo properly. I have made up a selection of stainless spacers to go under the engine mounts giving me the precise amount of lift required for a good alignment. Since I have a very short driveshaft and no shaft bearing, it makes alignment easier than on some boats.